Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

mac266
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Oct 2008, 11:23 pm

Ok, I'm a cop, and I report to a sergeant. My sergeant, an NT, claims that if the public finds out I'm an aspie (especially the DA or defense team) it could jeopardize all my future cases.

Let me get this straight: I'm affected by a developmental disability that makes it so I don't understand how to lie. Granted, it is something that could be learned, but it would still be painfully obvious to everyone in the room. My mind thinks in terms of pure logic, and sees things in black-and-white. I'm pre-programmed to tell the truth, albeit in a blunt fashion.

So, this is a bad thing for a cop??!?!?!?!?!?!?! I call BS.

I have a friend who is a defense attorney who tells me he wishes ALL cops were Aspies, so there would never be any doubt as to the veracity of his / her testimony.

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die." -G.K. Chesterton

music_for_airports
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2008, 12:54 am

It's not just your honesty and integrity that makes you a good cop, Apsies usually also have a close attention to detail and an ability to remain calm in situations where NTs would freak out and cower in the corner. (I've been in a handful of life-threatening situations and people have been amazed by the way I've dealt with things in a calm and logical manner, whereas I just thought that everyone else were cowards.)

Your sergeant is an idiot. If you were ever called as a witness I would bet that the defence attorney would try to exploit your AS, but this would a) hopefully be countered by a more informed argument from the prosecuting attorney, and b) make the defence look bigoted. The tough part is that people are ignorant and easily scared by anything they don't know about. This is probably what your sergeant is afraid of, but people, especially police, should strive for the integrity of truth and justice, not pander to public ignorance, and the truth in this matter is that your AS is a strength when it comes to police work. This is a slippery slope and it seems as thought you sergeant has already slid all the way down.

The more I read and learn about AS, and the more I compare my perspective with NTs around me, the less I see it as a disability. In my view, I see a world that NTs are blind to.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 5:08 pm

mac266 wrote:
Let me get this straight: I'm affected by a developmental disability that makes it so I don't understand how to lie. Granted, it is something that could be learned, but it would still be painfully obvious to everyone in the room. My mind thinks in terms of pure logic, and sees things in black-and-white. I'm pre-programmed to tell the truth, albeit in a blunt fashion.

While this may apply to you, it does not apply to all aspies. I've heard of situations where an aspie has cheated on their spouse and was able to cover it up (via lying) for a long time. It's another false stereotype about aspies.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 5:11 pm

Maybe your boss is afraid that you'll eventually tell the truth on HIM ... which, by the way, leads me to believe that he might have something to conceal...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

mac266

06 Oct 2008, 8:39 pm

Fnord wrote:
Maybe your boss is afraid that you'll eventually tell the truth on HIM ... which, by the way, leads me to believe that he might have something to conceal...

Heh...like the fact he's an idiot? Seriously, he's universally hated by all the cops on the shift, and they all offer their condolences to those of us who report to him. Many cops make jokes about letting one of our "clients" off on a few charges in return for making his death look like an accident. Of course, they are JOKING, at least I hope.

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die." -G.K. Chesterton

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 9:12 pm

Yeah ... joking ... :wink: :wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 7:58 pm

Blah, that's a drag. I agree, your boss isn't making much sense. You'd think an honest cop would be a good thing...

mac266

07 Oct 2008, 9:14 pm

Heh...once he made me re-do a Probable Cause Affidavit because he thought I misused the word, "Veracity." I used it in this context: {list of facts}..."based on that information I doubted the veracity of the defendant's statement."

He didn't know what, "Veracity" meant, so he made me replace the word with, "Truthfulness." I looked it up in the dictionary to ensure I wasn't the idiot, and it turns out I was right. I didn't rub it in his face, though....there's no point with this guy.