Have you ever held, cuddled or kissed a baby or toddler?

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 9:33 pm

have a two-year granddaugter...if you think they're loud when you hold them, try not holding them when they want it...;)

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 9:20 am

I wouldn't dare hold a baby because of my Tourette syndrome... one tic and whoosh! Also I am convinced that babies are all germy and gross even though in reality they are probably a hell of a lot cleaner than me! That is OCD for you!

(my nephew threw up on his uncle's Liverpool Utd shirt... eww)

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 10:19 am

Signs654 wrote:
Have you ever held, cuddled or kissed a baby or toddler? I myself just can't imagine holding a baby. All that loud annoying crying.

Yes, but only my own 2 children.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2008, 11:26 am

There's not another feeling in the world like holding an infant. Especially one that can hold his or her own head up and is in that information gathering stage of life.

The baby clings to you. He or she trusts you and expects without any doubt that you will protect him or her from any danger. The child recognises you as one of the pack, a caretaker and giver of comfort. There is no judgement in a child of that age. It's like the child makes an unspoken agreement with you, something like, "I'm going to take in the world and just focus on watching and listening and tasteing and touching - your job is to hold me up and take care of my well being." And you do.

It's a great feeling.

Plus babies love me, they stop crying with me sometimes even when their mothers can't settle them down. I think it's because people with AS don't exaggerate our facial expressions or look too intently at a child trying to afix them with eye contact (the way a predator or aggressor might). Maybe kids learn to be NT and forget that Aspieness later on.

:D

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 11:27 am

holding and cuddling yes...kissing no

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 12:02 pm

Was forced to hold an infant child of one of my mom's colleagues at a birthday party.

The expression of the scene was so awkward I wanted to give the baby to my mom
and beat up the a-hole in front of everybody else! :evil:

redears
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Oct 2008, 3:52 pm

Never kissed them, but I have six neices and nephews, my nephew would only sleep as a baby if you rocked him a certain way, so I did that, it was not as uncomfortable as one might think.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Oct 2008, 4:19 pm

I don't know why everyone thinks babies are dirty, I've always felt the opposite, that they are very clean, because they haven't been around long enough to get too incredibly dirty. I have a little brother, that I held, cuddled, and all that when he was a baby, as well as some of my little cousins.

countzarroff
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2008, 2:55 am

why don't you take a seat

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 10:29 am

Never i dont like children at all. anything under the age of 5 i just an annoying thing

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 10:46 am

I don't kiss or cuddle. Doesn't occur to me. But, I have held children before. I don't understand baby talk or any nonsense like that. As a result of baby-talk and small children being coddled, I've seen five year olds speak and act like toddlers. Baby Doll Syndrome - usually when ill prepared parents almost subconsciously fail to realize the child will someday be an adult. So, while some people might think it's cold to not kiss and cuddle, the truth is excessive kissing, cuddling and carrying can actually developmentally ret*d a child!

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 12:11 pm

My partner has 4 grandkids ranging from 2 to 13 years. I enjoy their company and have often held, played with and even changed the youngests diapers. I've always remanticised being a father but I know that I am way too selfish (with my time and money) to be a good one.

irishaspie
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2008, 12:15 pm

no and i dont want to...holding a baby is one of my phobias.im terrified because i know ill end up dropping it.

AngryReptileKeeper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2008, 12:20 pm

Signs654 wrote:
Have you ever held, cuddled or kissed a baby or toddler? I myself just can't imagine holding a baby. All that loud annoying crying.

I hear you! And no, I haven't. I wouldn't. You'd have to pay me. I can't stand children. My mother babysat when I was a kid, and I found it to be very... unpleasant, to say the least. :? I figured out when I was 6 that I would never, ever reproduce. Not so long as there was anything I could do about it. I still feel the same. Avoiding pregnancy and childbirth is at the top of my list of priorities. Besides, screwed up people like me don't need to have kids. :P

People like to talk about women and "maternal instincts" and biological clocks... Well, mine must be broken. Protective? Territorial? Yes. Maternal? Certainly not!