Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Aguila
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Oct 2008, 4:36 pm

I was wondering if anybody else can go without water for a long time without ill effects. For example I have not drank any liquids since the day before yesterday and I am not really thirsty. One time I think I went without water for about 4 and a half days and I just drank about 8 cups of water after that. Am I just really strange that way or is this a little more common?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 4:38 pm

Aguila wrote:
I was wondering if anybody else can go without water for a long time without ill effects. For example I have not drank any liquids since the day before yesterday and I am not really thirsty. One time I think I went without water for about 4 and a half days and I just drank about 8 cups of water after that. Am I just really strange that way or is this a little more common?

I've done the same.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 4:40 pm

it epedns a lot on what you eat and the water content of the foods you have been eating

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 4:43 pm

donkey wrote:
it epedns a lot on what you eat and the water content of the foods you have been eating

exactly

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 4:44 pm

Going without water in general has ill effects, but it doesn't do your body any good to say "f**k you" when you don't have as much water as you need.

Aguila
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Oct 2008, 4:46 pm

Donkey: it epedns a lot on what you eat and the water content of the foods you have been eating

I thought that possibly that could be the case. That is the food I eat is higher in water content.

I usually eat fruit and bread in the morning (sometiems oatmeal)

Soup or sandwich at lunch

anything my mom cooks for dinner (almost anything delicious that you can think of)

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 4:53 pm

Aguila wrote:
Donkey: it epedns a lot on what you eat and the water content of the foods you have been eating

I thought that possibly that could be the case. That is the food I eat is higher in water content.

I usually eat fruit and bread in the morning (sometiems oatmeal)

Soup or sandwich at lunch

anything my mom cooks for dinner (almost anything delicious that you can think of)

The food you eat has more than enough water in it. You don't need to drink loads more. A cup or two will do. They miscalculated this in the 60’s as they made the same mistake you did, and so the myth perpetuated.

Test: look at a finger nail is it pink? If it is push down hard on it till it goes mostly light coloured. Then release. If it doesn't go back to pink immediately or your nail is not pink coloured in the first place you could be dehydrated.

Being dehydrated is not cool.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 4:55 pm

I drink water constantly. I know it drains my body out of everything, both good and bad, but I can hardly help it.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 4:58 pm

A lot of people think that drinking excess water improves the skin they have disproved this. It makes no difference. You just need to drink a minimum amount of water to be healthy, which is slightly different for everyone.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 5:04 pm

I can, but the only problem is it makes me cranky.

Kauf039
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2008, 7:44 pm

I have to force myself to drink some days, then other days I will drink pitchers upon pitchers of water constantly throughout the day. I drink when I'm thirsty or make sure that I have at least 2 good sized glasses of liquid per day. Can I go longer without feeling any effects? Yes. Do I trust my own feelings all the time? No. And thus my forcing myself to drink some days.

Aguila
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Oct 2008, 8:34 pm

Kauf039: I have to force myself to drink some days, then other days I will drink pitchers upon pitchers of water constantly throughout the day. I drink when I'm thirsty or make sure that I have at least 2 good sized glasses of liquid per day. Can I go longer without feeling any effects? Yes. Do I trust my own feelings all the time? No. And thus my forcing myself to drink some days.

Pretty much the same with me except I am no good at remembering to drink water.

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2008, 3:36 am

I only feel thirst when I am very dehydrated. I have to make a real effort to drink enough. Water is boring to me - I rarely drink straight water. When I was a child, and in my teens, I used to get kidney infections from not drinking enough fluids.