Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Shadowcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2008, 11:18 pm

Why when a person who gets pregnant and doesn't have a disability, there always seems to be help and support (Social Services).

But, when a person has a disability and gets married, why is it automatic to sterilize that person? It seems that the Social Services they get should include child care and child education, but there isn't any, why not?

In a way, if a teen gets pregnant the Social Services are there, if the teen has a disability, it's treated like an embarrassement, and if the person is an Adult, them having children is seen as an inconvience.

Does anybody see anything wrong with this?

orngjce223
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2008, 11:19 pm

Why should I care, I'm an asexual.

There, I said it.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 11:55 pm

It's seriously messed up. 8O

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 2:50 am

Wait, what? I was under the impression that compulsory sterilization had been done away with long ago.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 3:56 am

I don't see myself having or wanting kids ever. I really do not like them and I don't see it as a necessary part of your life. I find kids really annoying and stressful, and I'm sure having them is rewarding, I just don't thing its something for me.

As for that forced sterilization, I believe thats illegal, at least in civilized countries. I don't see why it would be frowned upon for disabled people to have children. Tons of disabled people have perfectly normal kids, and many perfectly normal people have had kids with disabilities. Whoever is frowning upon disabled people leading normal lives and having children has a problem, theres absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 3:57 am

I like kids but being possibly Asexual it isnt going to happen!!

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 4:58 am

Orwell wrote:
Wait, what? I was under the impression that compulsory sterilization had been done away with long ago.
Me too. Maybe they chose the wrong word???

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 6:32 am

I do want to start a family someday.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 6:40 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I do want to start a family someday.
Really? you??? I never took you as the sort who would be interested in that kind of thing. :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 6:48 am

Well, not until I finish college.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 6:51 am

Yeah, it'd be pretty hard to juggle a family and school at the same time.

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2008, 9:15 am

The reason why, is because its genetic. I know I wouldn't want my son (if I were to ever get one) to go through the same things we have, it just isn't necessary, and isn't right.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 9:25 am

Well, in the US, there's so much discrimination, bias and hatred and this is actually much more of a "disability" and blight on our society than anything else and creates much of the social nightmare people worry about.
In the US seems like only certain people deserve support while the attitude toward everyone else is they are useless, will be rotten parents, cannot possibly have the brains or ability to do anything in life, much less take care of a family. It's typical.
I have known so many f****d up people (pardon my language, please, but I feel harsh about this) who are not labeled anything, just WASPy-like people who are the absolute most dysfunctional people imagineable and people like them and want to be around them why this is I have absolutely no idea. This is the part I don't get and have no empathy for. I am missing the meaning here.
In my state, there is sooooo much prejiduce and discrimination. It's just everywhere.
This is where my inner strength helps. An enormous amount of inner strength helps a lot!

07 Oct 2008, 10:05 am

Lot of people have disabilities. That's why we're still considered normal.

I don't believe people with disabilities have their kids taken away for no reason or it be in the news all the time or articles. It has to be affecting their parenting for it to happen. Like someone with MR can have their child taken away because they are concerned about their child when he or she gets older. Like the MR wouldn't be able to provide the needs or even deal with his or her child's puberty and terrible teens, be able to explain sex, etc. That would be the neighbor's concern or the school's so they call social services.

I have heard of it happening but not too often. One aspies had her baby taken after she had it but that was in Ireland. I just thought it was stupid. There was no reason for it to happen. Did they lady even has a history of violence or was not allowd to have kids, etc? No.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 12:08 pm

I don't think people with grave disabilites should be encouraged to procreate.

there, I said it.

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 6:26 pm

Shadowcat wrote:
...But, when a person has a disability and gets married, why is it automatic to sterilize that person? It seems that the Social Services they get should include child care and child education, but there isn't any, why not?...
That's not the case I don't think. Not nowadays. Surely? I'd be very disturbed to hear if that was happening.