Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 8:36 am

Taly wrote:
Yay! Angra is Brazilian!! But I'd mention Shaaman(Shaman) another Brazilian, The Magician (another Brazilian) I believe they are Xaaman nowadays, Blind Guardian and with female vocals I'd say Nightwish(that's also operatic and romantic-gothic, but has power metal evidently) and After Forever(That has power metal elemnts combined with atmospheric metal).

I love Nightwish too. Have you heard Within Temptation? They're fairly similar, but I personally think they're a bit more orchestral, and the lead female voice is higher. Kamelot is great, but in a lot of their older stuff the singer can be a bit off key, which irritates me. Personally I'm not so into dragonforce and others like it as i found they're very show off with their chords and riffs, but in the process their music loses a lot of its emotion and meaning and just sounds messy. I think the biggest challenge for any band is to create something complex, and technically impressive, but at the same time to utilize the technicality as a part of a unified whole to build the desired emotions.

Has anyone ever heard Skillet? I know (quite a lot more mainstream, and a bit linkin park esque) they're not quite the same genre, but I think they manage to combine the best of mainstream rock (which is the emotional power of strong clean chords) with the technical detail of an instrumental backing including more instruments such as violins. Try Rebirthing, Comatose, Whispers In The Dark, The Last Night.

Taly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2008, 9:28 pm

sunshower wrote:
Taly wrote:
Yay! Angra is Brazilian!! But I'd mention Shaaman(Shaman) another Brazilian, The Magician (another Brazilian) I believe they are Xaaman nowadays, Blind Guardian and with female vocals I'd say Nightwish(that's also operatic and romantic-gothic, but has power metal evidently) and After Forever(That has power metal elemnts combined with atmospheric metal).

I love Nightwish too. Have you heard Within Temptation? They're fairly similar, but I personally think they're a bit more orchestral, and the lead female voice is higher. Kamelot is great, but in a lot of their older stuff the singer can be a bit off key, which irritates me. Personally I'm not so into dragonforce and others like it as i found they're very show off with their chords and riffs, but in the process their music loses a lot of its emotion and meaning and just sounds messy. I think the biggest challenge for any band is to create something complex, and technically impressive, but at the same time to utilize the technicality as a part of a unified whole to build the desired emotions.

Has anyone ever heard Skillet? I know (quite a lot more mainstream, and a bit linkin park esque) they're not quite the same genre, but I think they manage to combine the best of mainstream rock (which is the emotional power of strong clean chords) with the technical detail of an instrumental backing including more instruments such as violins. Try Rebirthing, Comatose, Whispers In The Dark, The Last Night.

Nightwish used to be a melodic power metal with operatic elements, it changed a lot when tarja(the vocals) left the band, I don't know about the current sittuation, I listened the newest album but only liked 2song . Within Temptation started as a melodic doom metal with power metal and folk/celtic elements. The cool thing about metal, is that bands change a lot and most of them don't care about being commercial. I love instrumental backing and those bands are good, to Opeth fans!! You guys should listen to rapture. Here in South America it's really funny Argentineans LOVE, ADORE Megadeath and Brazilians love Metallica, they are rival bands, so Brazil versus Argentina in metal, commercially, everything... it's a hate and love story.

Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 10:03 pm

AutisticMalcontent wrote:
886 wrote:
I listen to just about nothing but dragonforce. They really make all other power metal bands sound boring and slow and it's troublesome to listen to them. :|

But meh. I like sonata arctica, firewind, among others.

Listen to Angra's "Temple of Hate" or "Spread Your Fire", Sonata Arctica's "8th Commandment" or Rhapsody of Fire's "Flames of Revenge" and tell me other styles of power metal are slow and boring :P

Wolf and raven was pretty insane, but everything else I downloaded by sonata was a boring love song.

I just downloaded that rhapsody of fire song. The drums are fast, that's about it. Nothing spectacular. @@

svend_sved
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2008, 12:05 pm

Number one in my book has to be Rhapsody of Fire. Theyre simply mindblowing, and fabio's got one of the best voices in the buisness.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puWIapjrdfM&feature=related[/youtube]
Rhapsody of Fire - Dawn Of Víctory

Also, can't ignore the finnish masters of power, Stratovarius. A shame the guitarist isnt with them anymore. Anyhow, Enjoy. Not the fastest, but it dosnt have to be.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU0RpSElca4[/youtube]
Stratovarius - Black Diamond

Lastly, but not least, we have Hammerfall. Again, not the fastest, but certainly one of the coolest. and a badass vid too.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWCG7ZqVULc[/youtube]
Hammerfall - Way Of The Warrior