Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Rowan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2008, 11:57 am

This morning reading the news on the Web I came across a reference to a video montage that has been posted on You Tube that shows Sarah Palin speaking in various contexts. The montage illustrates how much her accent varies, and this was attributed to 'Intermittent Gunderson Syndrome'.

I was interested because, as much as I dislike the idea of having anything in common with Palin, I'm the same way and more so. My way of speaking varies wildly and involuntarily and even though English is my native language, I usually sound vaguely "foreign".

Googling 'Intermittent Gunderson Syndrome' just turns up references to the Palin video, though there does seem to be a Dr. Gunderson who has worked with Borderline Personality Disorder.

So now I'm scared. I've reconciled myself to being an aspie, but ***BPD*** ?!?!?!

Does anyone know if 'Intermittent Gunderson Syndrome' is a real condition, and if so what it is?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 12:01 pm

You have been had. Gunderson is a refrence to Marge Gunderson in the movie Fargo

Rowan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2008, 12:27 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: Thanks :oops: :oops: :oops:

I should have known that; but "BPD" and "Palin" just fit SO WELL...

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 12:47 pm

Don't worry about it is not particularly funny. You don't need any fictional disorder to get laughs out of Palin she provides the material herself.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 1:04 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Don't worry about it is not particularly funny. You don't need any fictional disorder to get laughs out of Palin she provides the material herself.

And Tina Fey capitalizies on them.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 1:28 pm

That's Ok. a LOT of aspies sound foreign, even when they aren't it's kinda strange.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 1:33 pm

I have a weird voice that changes intermittantly and involluntarilly.... is there a real term for that?

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 2:55 pm

^^ Yaye, I believe I too have a rather different voice. My parents, sister and brother often inform me that my happy voice is too high and squeaky, sounds strained, and often changes pitch/ volume. I did not know of this or that it was a problem until they indicated so.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 3:13 pm

Having an odd tone/pitch constitutes 'unusual prosody'.

Also some people with AS manifest 'social echolalia', where instead of 'echoing' a sequence of words, mannerisms of expression are echoed (the source/s might be someone being interacted with, or someone observed on an earlier occasion).

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 12:31 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
That's Ok. a LOT of aspies sound foreign, even when they aren't it's kinda strange.
Sometimes I sound like Dexter from the cartoon.