Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 1:44 pm

Good Morning!

My name is Miles. I live in Bakersfield (Hinges of Hell), California. I've been here almost 6 years. I am almost 40 years old, live with a terrific partner (almost 6 years) in a very typical tract home.
The first time I heard the term "autism" applied to me I was in my childhood. Not much was said or done about it. Actually- nothing was done about.
Only very recently have I chosen to reserch the possibility that I might, in fact have Asperger's and have all my life.
When I started reading posts, blogs and online information it's as if a light finally went on where there was only confusing darkness. I scored a 169/200 on a "Aspie Quiz". I know this isn't a diagnosis. I am waiting for a referal from my doctor to a local psychiatrist to help me in confirming/disproving my theory.

I am a GIS tech for the Department of Agriculture, California. It means I make lots of maps based on global positioning, GPS information, satelite imagery, etc.
I also think of myself as something of an artist- a fiber artist. I make quilts. Not the granny kind.
I do a lot of volunteer work with the American Heart Association.
I am adopted so much of my biological history is a complete blank. It occured to me not too long ago that my biological mother put me up for adoption after the realization that there was something "off" about me. I have an older brother she chose to keep.

I lead a very typical life with many of the AS traits.

I look very much forward to learning more about myself, either with or without Asperger's. Who knows? Maybe I'm just effed up in the head.

Thanks for reading. Take care.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 3:47 pm

Welcome to WP from a fellow GIS professional.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 4:09 pm

"Welcome to WP from a fellow GIS professional."

Good, then I'll be asking plenty of questions since I rarely know what it is that I'm doing.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 5:40 pm

Glad to meet you, Miles, and welcome to Wrong Planet. "Thanks" for sharing your history with us. I really enjoyed the part about the maps that you make for the Department of Agriculture here in California, and the good work that you do for the American Heart Association. Looking forward to reading your posts. Take great care of yourself now, Miles, and all the WP best to you.