Do you prefer the outdoors or indoors?

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Do you prefer the outdoors or the indoors?
Outdoors, definitely 23%  23%  [ 20 ]
Indoors, no doubt 28%  28%  [ 25 ]
Both in equal measure 13%  13%  [ 11 ]
Outdoors more 17%  17%  [ 15 ]
Indoors more 19%  19%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 88

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 4:04 pm

The black bears around here are all pretty unintimidatingly small.

Once I was in northern Ontario picking blueberries. They were in the distance when I started, but I zoned out and when I looked I was surrounded by huge bears. They don't make noise on the soft soil of blueberry barrens. They were all around me, keeping a polite distance, pretending not to notice me, eating blueberries. I already knew not to look at them hard, so I just went back to picking blueberries. It's amazing how comfortable I was with all those bears. Everything was fine, we were just all enjoying the berries and it felt quite companionable.

There are coyotes here. The best thing to see is when their pups are nearly grown and start trying to advance their hunting skills to go for ducks. They start off with field mice (just jump on the place where you hear it rustling) and then the rabbits. The rabbits are easy because there are a lot of stupid young ones around when the coyotes are that age. A rabbit can smell you, but it usually doesn't see you if you hold still. Same as a coyote. So you can creep up on it, taking a few steps every time its head is in the grass. But ducks can't smell you at all, and will usually see you even if you're standing still. So I'll see these young coyotes try to catch ducks by sneaking up downwind of them a few steps at a time. When he gets too close, the ducks will all take off with their wings whistling, quacking, and the young coyote will startle and look all flummoxed, "Woah! Why did that happen?!" Father coyote is usually watching too, and he looks as if he thinks this is as funny as I do.

(Show me a dog, I'll tell you what it's thinking, but I can't usually do that looking at a person.)

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2008, 5:36 pm

Electric_Kite wrote:

(Show me a dog, I'll tell you what it's thinking, but I can't usually do that looking at a person.)

Ha! That's the way I feel, too. People often get freaked at my bear videos that I shoot while running/hiking, implying that I will shortly become another Timothy Treadwell. I feel much safer in the woods with bears at a distance, that are pretty implicit about their intentions, than in a city, up close and personal, getting mugged by all kinds of unpredictable human vermin.

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2008, 1:43 am

I like it outdoors when the weather is decent(usually May-September). The rest of the year, I just wish for May to return again.