Your loyalty to the autistic community...

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2008, 1:38 am

You have a dark streak Ana that, while disturbing, is quite likeable.

But I would judge any Aspie by the same standards I judge anyone else. Simply having AS would in no way cause me to put aside my morality and make a special dispensation. While I might take an ASD into account as to why a person acts the way that they did, if it still seems that the person did the wrong thing and for the wrong reasons, then I'd expect the punishment to fit the crime.

Being a close friend or a dearly beloved one, that might cause me to hide a body for you. :wink:

:lol:

:?

Amitiel
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2008, 3:54 am

People are individuals and I treat them as such.

Some one said Loyalty is not a virtue..... I don't know, I guess I have a loyalty to my family, but maybe you are right. Perhaps it is best to judge people on their actions rather than some sense of a will to support based on loyalty.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 6:31 am

I don't suppose it would make much difference to me whether the person was AS or NT, except in cases where I could see how AS symptoms were causing the bad behaviour. That would probably make me a little more sympathetic to the Aspie. But it would be the same for any "brain problem."

On the other hand, a lot goes on in the unconscious mind and the most even-handed of us is probably sometimes guilty of unintended favouritism. I can quite easily find myself unwittingly identifying with a person who seems to share my experiences, and I have no problem favouring my friends and family over the rest of the population, until such time as society decides to take my advice and become noncompetitive. They want dog-eat-dog, I'll give 'em dog-eat-dog.

Chiefly I'm loyal to myself, and if I'd killed somebody, I might not turn myself in if I thought my chances were better that way. But you never know till it happens, and I doubt if it would.