Page 1 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 5:02 pm

First, I hate the drawn-out, all-inclusive acronym LGBTQ. When did LG stop representing everyone who is gay or lesbian?

Anyway- I read it posted elsewhere that AS is the new gay. Interesting thought. Here I am still finding my way in this world as a 39 y/o gay man and now I have yet another closet to contemplate coming out of.

What are your experiences? Are the issues of living an AS life compounded by other complexities like being gay?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 5:04 pm

No, other than having AS, I live a normal life.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 5:10 pm

Fnord wrote:
No, other than having AS, I live a normal life.

SAME HERE! OK, some may not consider me AS but, AS or not, I have the SAME problems. And although I understand it being called "the new gay"....

1. previously virtually unknown, now seemingly common.
2. doing things others don't understand or like.
3. Is now considered a mental "disorder" that people figure is choice.
4. etc...

I don't like the tie though.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 5:25 pm

Is this LGBTF anything like OMGWTFBBQ?

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2008, 5:33 pm

LGBTQ? Try LGBTTQA. That's what it's extended to around my campus. (The extra T is for Two-Spirited, and the A is for ally)

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 5:43 pm

Katie_WPG wrote:
LGBTQ? Try LGBTTQA. That's what it's extended to around my campus. (The extra T is for Two-Spirited, and the A is for ally)

Sad- and stupid. I remember the days when Gay and Lesbian was just fine. And it still is. But then I'm almost 40. WTF is with all the other additions? Bisexuals are just greedy; Transgendered are, for the most part, straight- especially after sexual re-assignment, aren't they? Two-spirited- WTF is that? And aren't the "Allies" already represented by PFLaG? Ridiculous. Even in our own subculture we are divisive, very much like our hetero counter-parts.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 5:52 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
First, I hate the drawn-out, all-inclusive acronym LGBTQ. When did LG stop representing everyone who is gay or lesbian?

Anyway- I read it posted elsewhere that AS is the new gay. Interesting thought. Here I am still finding my way in this world as a 39 y/o gay man and now I have yet another closet to contemplate coming out of.

What are your experiences? Are the issues of living an AS life compounded by other complexities like being gay?

Bisexial is not the same as homosexual.

Transexual and transgender are not the same as homosexual.

Questioning is not the same as homosexual.

It's not the LG doesn't include everyone who's homosexual. It's that the longer accronym includes additional people.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 5:53 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:

You don't know what those other letters stand for do you?

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 5:56 pm

Katie_WPG wrote:

And how come they left out asexual? :wink:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2008, 6:17 pm

Well, Asexuals kind of go against both grains. Neither gays or straights think they're any fun.

Two-spirited refers to gay Aboriginals. Essentially, they're using their traditional term for gay people, because they're trying to reclaim the culture that the "white man" destroyed. Why they had to actually include it in the acronym, I don't know...

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 6:26 pm

MR wrote:
NocturnalQuilter wrote:

Bisexial is not the same as homosexual.<<<<OK, they are homosexual half the time.

Transexual and transgender are not the same as homosexual.<<<<OK, they want to appear heterosexual.

Questioning is not the same as homosexual.<<<<At least I agree there

It's not the LG doesn't include everyone who's homosexual. It's that the longer accronym includes additional people.

As for the idea of Asexual not being homosexual, Straight people often feel you MUST be homosexual if you aren't openly heterosexual. The Homosexuals think ANYONE that isn't 100% for them, and or is not OBVIOUSLY heterosexual, MUST be homosexual. DUMB, but that is the way they think.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 6:43 pm

Gay? I'm not even happy...;)

just call me straight but not narrow..;) I'm in Computers, I have too many TLA's (3-letter acronyms) as it is...;)

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 6:53 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
Katie_WPG wrote:

Sad- and stupid. I remember the days when Gay and Lesbian was just fine. And it still is. But then I'm almost 40. WTF is with all the other additions? Bisexuals are just greedy; Transgendered are, for the most part, straight- especially after sexual re-assignment, aren't they? Two-spirited- WTF is that? And aren't the "Allies" already represented by PFLaG? Ridiculous. Even in our own subculture we are divisive, very much like our hetero counter-parts.

We all have our comfort levels, and those who feel that one label does not fit them will shed it and find or create one that does. It happens within most human social groups, from what I have observed... the conflicting dichotomy of having to fit in while wanting to be unique as possible. I take offense with your assertion that those who are bisexual are greedy; sexuality comes in many flavors, and it not for any of us to decide what mantle each assumes. Was somewhat surprised by your response, but can understand the frustration to a limited extent.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 7:28 pm

Triangular_Trees wrote:
Katie_WPG wrote:

And how come they left out asexual? :wink:

and
NocturnalQuilter wrote:
Bisexuals are just greedy;

and
pakled wrote:
Gay? I'm not even happy...

just call me straight but not narrow.. I'm in Computers, I have too many TLA's (3-letter acronyms) as it is...

:lol: you-all are a riot tonight

Last edited by KaliMa on 09 Oct 2008, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 8:20 pm

@ Triangular Trees: Yes, I know what all the letters stand for.
@ makuranososhi: Frustrated? I certainly did not mean for that to come across- I don't feel that way at all. I do not "get" bisexuality at all. IMHO a person is either gay or straight. Period. Pick a team and play or get off the field.

But I didn't intend for this to be about the legitimacy of alternative sexualities but the part they play in combination with AS.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 8:27 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
@ Triangular Trees: Yes, I know what all the letters stand for.
@ makuranososhi: Frustrated? I certainly did not mean for that to come across- I don't feel that way at all. I do not "get" bisexuality at all. IMHO a person is either gay or straight. Period. Pick a team and play or get off the field.

But I didn't intend for this to be about the legitimacy of alternative sexualities but the part they play in combination with AS.

Sure....what with sexuality being a choice, like what brand milk to buy..... :roll: