Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 8:40 pm

I'll admit, this might just be an American problem - I just went on Youtube and saw that they were on the Brit Awards backdropping Riahna on Umbrella.

The way it came around to me was this. I wast talking to one of our friends, we were talking about electronic and industrial, I was mentioning Skinny Puppy to him, and he mentioned that not only did he have a line cook (he manages a 5 star restaurant downtown) who was into industrial but the same guy had introduced this band Klaxons to him and that he'd seen them live - that I should really check them out.

Like anything; I took a listen on youtube; wasn't what I expected, and so I put the knowledge on the back burner for a minute. Being that I was hooked on Muse for a while recently and was looking for something kind of in the same sort of energy as them. Block Party, etc. I decided to reinvestigate. I was out of town for work, between Toronto and Mississauga, and I ended up deciding to buy their cd and blast it in my rent-a-car.

With Klaxon's there's something I noticed on first listen - I guessed that it wouldn't be something I wanted to listen to all the time but I immediately recognized that yes, they have something to their style, intuitively *get* something; its like the earworm factor, making a sound addictive and making it grow on you till you can't get it out of your head.

Not to say that I can't pull their 2007 cd out of my car, just that yes - I think they intuitively get something. The thing I do find interesting about them; the friend I'd mentioned likened them to Prodigy, they're nothing like them but - they pick up with the current pop-rock-metal sound, blend it with loud and unpolished 70's punk, blend it with electronic; ie. they had a clear vision. The hand full of bands that I can think of that I've had a hard time not listening to a lot had that in common - they knew what they set out to do and they did it with their own clarity of vision (ie. Alice In Chains, Tool, Sublime, Skinny Puppy, and yes - in a context all their own - these guys too).

Help me out here, are these guys good or am I liking it just because I'm not a Brit?

ASandproud
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2008, 1:31 pm

I like Klaxons and I'm English.

Hope this helps.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 2:30 pm

ASandproud wrote:
I like Klaxons and I'm English.

Hope this helps.

Yep, it does help. :)

Thanks.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 3:09 pm

I kind of liked "Atlantis to Interzone" but my friends told me the rest of the album was much different and not as good so I never got to hear it. I heard them play "Golden Skans" and "Gravity's Rainbow" in televised live recordings and don't remember a thing about them except they didn't sound like they could play very well.

As far as "dance punk" goes I'm something of a fan of the originators of the style, Public Image Ltd.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 3:27 pm

I think the tunes that I get most traction with are Two Receivers, As Above So Below, Gravity's Rainbow, and Its Not Over. Atlantis, Totem, and Isle of Her are all likable in their own way.

I think the only tunes on Myths of the Near Future that slightly annoy me are Forgotten Works and Magick; both of which have their own instrumental elements or dynamics that I do find enough interest in that I can pretty successfully tune out what annoys me about them.

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 10:39 am

the problem i have:

IT'S NOT "NEW RAVE" IT SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE RAVE, STOP TRYING TO MAKE UP GENRES FOR YOUR BLAND INDIE DANCE...

lol, i'm a musical fascist at times ^.^

x

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 1:18 pm

Xanderbeanz wrote:
the problem i have:

IT'S NOT "NEW RAVE" IT SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE RAVE, STOP TRYING TO MAKE UP GENRES FOR YOUR BLAND INDIE DANCE...

lol, i'm a musical fascist at times ^.^

x

I try not to trip out about it, if I like the music I like the music. 'New Rave' or 'Flourescent Rock'; those titles really don't mean much to me, I still have no clue what Emo is exactly (which to be brutally honest its not like I care at this point either).

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 1:31 pm

The NME and co. made up the term in an effort to make something appear new about what they do. As far as I'm aware, it doesn't have much to do with the band themselves.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 2:13 pm

Hector wrote:
The NME and co. made up the term in an effort to make something appear new about what they do. As far as I'm aware, it doesn't have much to do with the band themselves.

In fact, if a British artist is raved about in NME, there's usually a backlash against them in the US (the only bands to escape this were Arctic Monkeys, Foals and Los Campesinos!).

Paddy789
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Oct 2008, 3:59 pm

Klaxons = crap.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 7:26 pm

Paddy789 wrote:
Klaxons = crap.

Thank you, every thread has a quota for at least one of these and it would have looked weird if I had to write it myself. :lol: