Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2005, 6:25 pm

This is a story that happened in a city near me (Tacoma). This crazy guy with an assault rifle (some say it was an AK-47) started shooting people in the Tacoma Mall, then held about 6 people hostage in a Sam Goody record store in the same mall. He didn't kill anyone, but he injured some people and sent someone to the hospital in critical condition for multiple gunshot wounds, and injured a few more people. If you want the full extent of the story, you could go to the link below:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... ge21m.html

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2005, 11:27 pm

If he fired off 20 shots exactly and people thought it looked like an AK-47, it was probably a Chinese SKS-M. Not an assault rifle. I thought concealed weapons permits were easy to get in Washington? Why didn't anybody return fire? It would seem to me that if more people continued to go about their usual buisness but start carying a gun, lunatics woudn't manage to get more than one or two shots off.

Quintucket
Toucan
Toucan

22 Nov 2005, 12:49 am

What was this guy's motive?

Sean wrote:
If he fired off 20 shots exactly and people thought it looked like an AK-47, it was probably a Chinese SKS-M. Not an assault rifle. I thought concealed weapons permits were easy to get in Washington? Why didn't anybody return fire? It would seem to me that if more people continued to go about their usual buisness but start carying a gun, lunatics woudn't manage to get more than one or two shots off.

But some people don't want to carry guns and want as few other people as possible carrying them as well.

"The difference between genius and idiocy is that genius has limits." -Albert Einstein

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2005, 12:57 am

Quintucket wrote:
But some people don't want to carry guns and want as few other people as possible carrying them as well.

And this article is a great demonstration of the kind of people left with a gun when nobody else is packing. If someone doesn't want to pack, then fine. But those that want to should be able to look after their own safety. It would help with public safety too.

SquanderedPotential
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2005, 1:06 am

Sean wrote:

oh so more guns would make everything better, uh?

i just watched Zero Day... shows how easy it is for even kids to get guns. because they're everywhere. they stole them from their parents and their friend in the movie. their parents and friends helped them learn how to use a variety of guns. yeah, smart to teach your kids to hunt. smart to keep guns in the house. smart to support guns, the making of guns, the distribution of guns, the "everyone has a right to own a gun" mentality... while by law i can't own a certain amount of simple weed without it being instantly thought of as an "intent to sell," you can own a whole houseful of things that have "intent to kill" written all over them. and the ironic thing is, if everyone was a pothead, at least the world would be a much more peaceful and tolerant place. because people would chill the fu*k out instead of raging about with guns in their hands shooting people.

in my mind

"If you fit the mold of a chipmunk, you probably aren't a kangaroo." - DeepThought

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2005, 5:54 am

I think that guns wouldn't do much good if civilians were allowed to fire them in public. What if a guy who had problems decided to go out in the middle of a place with lots of people and start firing (like the guy at the Tacoma Mall)? I seriously don't think it's a good idea; that's why the police are trained, and that's what security guards are for. In Washington, it's silly how easy it is to get a gun; that's where the D.C. Sniper got his gun: from a store in Parkland or somewhere near. Anyways, I don't think it's good for guns to be bannned everywhere, it should just be banned for use in public by civilians.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2005, 10:31 am

Sean- I don't think anyone returned fire BUT someone else did have a weapon: http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News ... 55,00.html

I'm not sure if that was in the original artcile because it wouldn't open for me.