Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Judith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2008, 12:07 pm

Hi, All! I'm back...Went to Tennessee to visit my family, and when I got home, my computer (very old, very ill) was no longer reliable for internet. So, here I am at the library when I have time, which will be intermittent, as my youngest has now started preschool, and Mommy's volunteering at the church while she's there.

Now, off to the topic. I confess I must eat some crow, TimT. (Note to all: Tim has PM'd me a couple times on the subject of Gnostic Texts, but I thought this subject was more interesting when more people could chime in, so here it is.) I went back and reread relevant portions of the texts, and you were right. Abraxis is mentioned as the ultimate creator, and Christ is mentioned as having been inhabited by the spirit of a lesser god figure who abandoned him as he died on the cross. OK. I was wrong.

My next question. Does anyone know which wine you serve with crow?

Judith

Psimulus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Oct 2008, 12:00 pm

Christ is not a person. Though Jesus may have been. When "Jesus the christ" or shortened "Jesus christ" is referenced. It is supposed by common denomination, that the term "christ" or"christened" translates as "blessed, anointed." In the way that you mention it, Christ would be the inhabiting spirit or entity versus the inhabited. The conceived Jesus could be said to be imbued with the spirit of christ, though "Jesus" and "christ" are not one and the same.

Dogbrain
Toucan
Toucan

13 Oct 2008, 9:48 am

Psimulus wrote:
Christ is not a person. Though Jesus may have been. When "Jesus the christ" or shortened "Jesus christ" is referenced. It is supposed by common denomination, that the term "christ" or"christened" translates as "blessed, anointed." In the way that you mention it, Christ would be the inhabiting spirit or entity versus the inhabited. The conceived Jesus could be said to be imbued with the spirit of christ, though "Jesus" and "christ" are not one and the same.

Only to Adoptionists or Gnostics. Christian doctrine is that Jesus Christ is a single individual, both fully human and fully Divine. His human portion was born of the Virgin Mary, while his Divine Portion is eternal and pre-extant the universe. He, Himself, partakes fully of both natures.

Psimulus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Oct 2008, 12:52 am

I dont consider my self to be either of those though this seems true for me. So I will say that it is not true "only" for Adoptionists and Gnostics. Not all Christian doctrine support the motion that Christ and Jesus are the same. If Jesus existed, which it is supposed by some that he did, he also had a surname, and it was not Christ. According to the research I have done, "Jesus" was the embodiment, or container, vessel, vehicle, of the spirit of Christ. This Christ spirit being in essence that which allowed him to perform the remarkable things that some have claimed he could do.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 7:57 am

Psimulus wrote:
I dont consider my self to be either of those though this seems true for me. So I will say that it is not true "only" for Adoptionists and Gnostics. Not all Christian doctrine support the motion that Christ and Jesus are the same. If Jesus existed, which it is supposed by some that he did, he also had a surname, and it was not Christ. According to the research I have done, "Jesus" was the embodiment, or container, vessel, vehicle, of the spirit of Christ. This Christ spirit being in essence that which allowed him to perform the remarkable things that some have claimed he could do.

The Gnostic texts are not canonical. They do not convey mainstream Christianity.

Judith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Oct 2008, 5:05 pm

OK. Phrasing was my bad. His name in Palestine in the first century would have been Jeshua ben Joseph. Because of the irregularities of his birth, he was frequently referred to as the son of Mary. Christ is a title, uniquely reserved for one person in history, the Jewish Messiah. It is the Aramaic equivalent of the concept, Aramaic being the language used in the region following the Hellenization that occured after Alexander conquered Palestine and forced Greek culture upon them.

I used the word "Christ" instead of "Jesus" accidentally. I grew up in a very strict fundamentalist sect, and even after all these years I still interchange the words upon occasion when I normally would use them more correctly. No reason to parse yourselves into a frenzy over it, dears.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 5:11 pm

slowmutant wrote:
The Gnostic texts are not canonical. They do not convey mainstream Christianity.

And that is what makes them very interesting.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 10:09 pm

greenblue wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Exactly. I've recently picked up a copy of the Judas codex, and I am bitter. Things I've read about it are no where in this copy, somehow that junction of my interests came up 'missing' in this book. How do these things just disappear?? :?

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 3:34 pm

How about a light Pinot Noir, or a Syrah? That oughta go nice with crow.

(Sorry, couldn´t resist).

Judith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2008, 3:38 pm

Morgana wrote:

Hmmm.....

I think the Pinot Noir. I'm a synesthete, and a Syrah would taste somewhat like licking a porcupine backwards to me. I was thinking about a nice sage and mushroom dressing with a red wine gravy, as well. I could mirror the Pinot Noir in the gravy, as well. (Taps finger to chin thoughtfully.) And then a lovely bit of steamed mixed veggies on the side and homeade artisan bread. OH, and how about creme brulee with fresh strawberries and mint sprigs for dessert?

If one MUST eat crow, one should do so with class, don't you think? :wink:

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 3:38 pm

Judith wrote:
Morgana wrote:

Hmmm.....

I think the Pinot Noir. I'm a synesthete, and a Syrah would taste somewhat like licking a porcupine backwards to me. I was thinking about a nice sage and mushroom dressing with a red wine gravy, as well. I could mirror the Pinot Noir in the gravy, as well. (Taps finger to chin thoughtfully.) And then a lovely bit of steamed mixed veggies on the side and homeade artisan bread. OH, and how about creme brulee with fresh strawberries and mint sprigs for dessert?

If one MUST eat crow, one should do so with class, don't you think? :wink:

Sounds great, when´s dinner? Can I come? (Seriously, for a second there, when I first read your Post, I thought you really did have to eat crow...until I realized...) 8)

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 9:25 pm

greenblue wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

It makes them invalid and irrelevant.