am i the only one who dosnt get american politics?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

svend_sved
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2008, 3:33 pm

well, am i? It might be because i live in denmark, and only got limited information. But the election has been running for a good year now, and i still dont know what the candidates stand for. To me, it seems like the american people ( bias alert, i know ) Dos'nt even know either. All they do is smile and pick to guy they can relate to. None of the candidates have so far mentioned any solutions yet. At least not that i know of...

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 3:36 pm

svend_sved wrote:
well, am i? It might be because i live in denmark, and only got limited information. But the election has been running for a good year now, and i still dont know what the candidates stand for. To me, it seems like the american people ( bias alert, i know ) Dos'nt even know either. All they do is smile and pick to guy they can relate to. None of the candidates have so far mentioned any solutions yet. At least not that i know of...

they don't.

the campaigns run are run on vague concepts and ideas because the people running are wholly unqualified other than that they're in the back pockets of many large multi-national corporations.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Dogbrain
Toucan
Toucan

13 Oct 2008, 9:49 am

svend_sved wrote:
well, am i? It might be because i live in denmark, and only got limited information. But the election has been running for a good year now, and i still dont know what the candidates stand for. To me, it seems like the american people ( bias alert, i know ) Dos'nt even know either. All they do is smile and pick to guy they can relate to.

That's pretty much it. Both candidates supported the 700billion screw-the-people fatcat bailout, after all.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 10:26 am

I was always led to believe that America has the best politicians that money can buy.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 11:16 am

If you think that all the Danish political parties are the same, then you would probably think the same (more so) about the US. But if you think that the Social Democrats are different from the Conservative People's Party, then you would think that the US Democrats are different than the US Republicans. Having only 2 parties does require that those 2 parties modify their platform somewhat, and that can be confusing. In Europe, the parties themselves have clear policies, and the coalition governments are responsible for blurring things and compromising.

If you want clarity, get a dictatorship!!

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2008, 11:18 am

svend_sved wrote:
None of the candidates have so far mentioned any solutions yet. At least not that i know of...
What could you expect from a liberal disaster? All someone has to say is that they believe in "god" and say "i will make changes" and people will vote for them, which is why I refuse to have any part in it. There is never a side I agree with.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 11:27 am

Here's a specific plan of one candidate: spend $15 Billion a year to reduce US energy dependence. Maybe buy some stuff from Vestas and other windmill companies, who knows? Help people insulate homes to reduce fuel consumption. Research solar and hydrogen. There are not too many specifics in the plan, because any plan has to be negotiated and passed by Congress, which has 535 minds of its own. But even still, that plan can be read, evaluated, and compared to the plan from that other guy.

Quote:
Cleantech Venture Capital Plan: Obama’s cleantech venture capital plan entails doling out $150 billion over 10 years to fund projects in a broad swath of cleantech sectors, including biofuels, plug-in hybrids, clean coal, smart gird and “renewable energy.” The fund would be aimed at later-stage opportunities with the expressed goal of developing technologies for rapid commercialization in the U.S. and deployment globally.

Cap and Trade on Carbon: Obama’s overarching environmental goal is to reduce America’s greenhouse gas emissions to 80 percent below our 1990 levels by 2050. To achieve this, Obama wants to institute a cap-and-trade system to manage carbon emissions. Unlike the cap-and-trade system proposed by McCain, Obama insists that 100 percent of the credits be auctioned off, ensuring that all polluters pay for all of their pollution. Funds generated by this new carbon market would be reinvested in clean energy and energy efficiencies and be used to smooth the transition for American workers to a carbon constrained economy, Obama says.

Clean Coal Optimist: “We’re also going to need to find a way to use coal, America’s most abundant fossil fuel, without adding harmful greenhouse gases to the environment,” Obama told the Detroit Economic Club last year. Illinois has a nearly $1 billion coal industry and Obama has voted several times in favor of clean coal research and lists the development and deployment of clean coal technologies as its own initiative. However, some estimate that clean coal is a decade away, beyond the reach of even a two-term president.

Automobile Standards: Obama wants to improve vehicular greenhouse gas emission standards by 5 percent in 2015 and 10 percent in 2020. He says that by boosting the corporate automobile fuel economy (CAFE) standard to 43 miles per gallon we could cut out the need for all of the oil we import from the Middle East. Speaking in Detroit, Obama did not shy away from telling auto execs that the dire situation they now find themselves in is partially their own doing, but he says he wants to work with them to rebuild a cleaner American car industry.

Gas Tax Holiday: Obama is adamantly opposed to a gas tax holiday, an issue that has set him apart from Clinton as well as McCain. McCain called for a summer-long suspension of the federal gasoline tax, a nixing a 18.4 cent federal gas tax and 24.4 cent diesel tax from Memorial Day to Labor Day. However, Obama points out that this would save the average American only half a tank of gas while draining money from the federal government’s highway trust fund. Meanwhile, the savings for the consumer are dependent on trickle down from the oil companies who are not guaranteed to pass along the savings.

Nuclear Power: While Obama has said “nuclear energy is not optimal” he does not rule it out as part of our energy future. Obama’s own Illinois has more nuclear power plants than any other state and Obama has worked on nuclear accountability and safety legislation. He is opposed to Yucca Mountain and wants to make sure that spent fuel is properly and publicly disposed of.

http://earth2tech.com/2008/06/09/faq-th ... ergy-plan/

Dogbrain
Toucan
Toucan

13 Oct 2008, 1:07 pm

monty wrote:
Here's a specific plan of one candidate: spend $15 Billion a year to reduce US energy dependence.

Where does that money come from? Remember, all of the Iraq spending is deficit spending. Or are you saying that your beloved messiah is just another worthless deficit-producing politician?

monty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 1:21 pm

Dogbrain wrote:
monty wrote:
Here's a specific plan of one candidate: spend $15 Billion a year to reduce US energy dependence.

Where does that money come from? Remember, all of the Iraq spending is deficit spending. Or are you saying that your beloved messiah is just another worthless deficit-producing politician?

Funding? Obama has said that he does not want to extend or make permanent the Bush tax cuts, which predominantly benefit the very wealthy. Never before has America fought a war and tried to fund it with tax cuts - depending on the magnitude of the conflict, tax increases have sometimes even been needed. Maybe not what people want to hear, but it is a simple truth - we need to pay for the mess that the Bush Admin got us in. When national sacrifice is called for, don't tell people to go shopping.

A survey of economists by the conservative magazine The Economist found that most economists believe Obama has a more qualified team and is the better choice when it comes to most issues:

Quote:
Where the candidates’ positions are more clearly articulated, Mr Obama scores better on nearly every issue: promoting fiscal discipline, energy policy, reducing the number of people without health insurance, controlling health-care costs, reforming financial regulation and boosting long-run economic growth. Twice as many economists think Mr McCain’s plan would be bad or very bad for long-run growth as Mr Obama’s. Given how much focus Mr McCain has put on his plan’s benefits for growth, this last is quite a repudiation.

http://www.economist.com/world/unitedst ... d=12342127

I never said he was my beloved messiah - I think he is the better candidate. Not talking to you anymore.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 2:55 pm

American election culture is a very distinct animal, and reading up on the elections of the eighteen hundreds, however false fronted it is today, it has if anything gotten much more sane.

Which might be a bad thing, depending on your perspective.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 3:00 pm

svend_sved wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't get American politics?

No ... 301,139,947 Americans feel the same way.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.