If I were to be on Law & Order Criminal Intent as an Asp

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 10:13 am

I was just thinking this morning, it'd be interesting if I played an Aspie on Law & Order CI. Cause really I'd be playing myself, but I think I could explain how it actually feels to be a young person with Asperger's Syndrome, in a way people who don't know someone who's Aspie might understand. I was kind of thinking, it's a lot like The Nowhere Man from Yellow Submarine. The Beatles felt sorry for him, cause it seemed like he was doing nothing with his life, but it didn't matter cause he was enjoying what he was doing. That it's just as valid as living a NT sort of life. I mean this in the sense of Aspies tending to like doing things, like spending a great deal of time online or what have you.

I also thought it would be a good opportunity to bring up that Goren might be Aspie, because he does behave in a way that seems like he would be. Like, knowing about things that most people would find obscure, or never know. As well as how he tilts his head when he is trying to convey something to someone. I also think it'd be interesting to explain to people the issues that come with having an "invisible" disability.

I'm just throwing this out there, cause really I wouldn't be able to do it cause:

1. I do not live near New York, and as typical of being Aspie, would be terrified to leave my home for much longer than a couple weeks. Even then that's for going to Disneyworld, and who's going to pass up an opportunity to go to Disneyworld?

2. While I am starting to see more acceptance of plus sized actors/actresses on shows like Entertainment Tonight, it's still not to a point where I feel that they'd accept me playing a role, even though I think the best person to play an Aspie on TV would be someone who's Aspie themselves.

3. I think a lot of how I would plan to represent Aspies, sounds rather like aspects of being Aspie that are stereotypical. That I'd be playing into saying like, well ALL Aspies are like this, and that's not a good thing. However, I think even explaining just the real experience of how it feels to be Aspie in society, would be enlightening for a good deal of people.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 11:36 am

There was an episode of L&O:CI in which an aspie murderer was caught because he always placed things in groups of five, in a particular pattern (a sort of lopsided pentagon); Goren was able to trace the pattern in the dumping spots for the bodies.

After their first interview with the suspect, Eames said to Goren, "I didn't know you had an older, creepier brother."

So yeah, the idea that Goren is an aspie has actually been raised already... :)

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Oct 2008, 12:26 pm

LOL an older, creepier brother! Goren seems like an aspie to me too.

I think I'd have a go at acting if they offered it to me, and if I could leave the house. :)

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 5:48 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
There was an episode of L&O:CI in which an aspie murderer was caught because he always placed things in groups of five, in a particular pattern (a sort of lopsided pentagon); Goren was able to trace the pattern in the dumping spots for the bodies.

After their first interview with the suspect, Eames said to Goren, "I didn't know you had an older, creepier brother."

So yeah, the idea that Goren is an aspie has actually been raised already... :)

Yeah but that guy seemed much more OCD than Aspie. I also felt that his character was portrayed disrespectfully, in the sense well, that an undiagnosed Aspie would be a serial killer? Chances are more likely he'd be too busy with the latest MMORPG to bother. LoL

MadAme
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2008, 12:02 pm

Was that the episode with Mark Linn Baker?

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 6:25 pm

I'm an actor and performer, and I'm currently getting out there and trying to get involved in different gigs. (I have a LOT more experience in choir performances than acting though, I once got to perform as one of the choir accompanying Hugh Jackman in Boy From Oz! He's even more charismatic in real life, I shook his hand :D. For any aussies out there, I was one of the qantas choir girls in the qantas ads lol - don't laugh) It would be a dream sometime in the distant future to play the character of an aspie, but I've got a long long long way to go before I get there.