Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 8:16 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Was Gandhi ever in South Africa?

Thats the biggest problem I can see with that story.

yeah! he did walking stuff in SA with the Indians there. Remember in the movie "Gandhi" it was where he met the guy Walker that did his reporting?

Merle

(who wishes people would get back on the subject of the thread!)

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 9:02 pm

Fnord wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
Quote:
How would it have lasted 2000 years?

Quote:
Stifle the voice of anyone who has a legitimate beef against Christianity...

I think Fnord's already answered that one for you.

well, duh. christianity was spread at the blade of the sword; not through acts of kindness and love.

Obviously you haven't experienced kindness and love. How sad for you.

what does that have to do with the fact that a few million gallons of blood was spilled to allow christianity to have the global dominance it currently enjoys?

If I could take it back, I would.

I'd settle for your personal public denouncement of Christianity as a stagnant, irrational belief system that preaches a gospel of love and kindness while engaging in exclusionary practices and supporting the ostracism, ridicule, and censorship of those who question the stifling traditions and out-dated dogma of the Christian faith.

Never.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 10:01 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

yeah! he did walking stuff in SA with the Indians there. Remember in the movie "Gandhi" it was where he met the guy Walker that did his reporting?

Merle

I dont remember Ben Kingsley at all. Just the 300 thousand extras.

Thats interesting. I did not know he traveled so far.

Almost as far as this thread is off topic!

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

15 Oct 2008, 3:15 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Fnord wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
Quote:
How would it have lasted 2000 years?

Quote:
Stifle the voice of anyone who has a legitimate beef against Christianity...

I think Fnord's already answered that one for you.

well, duh. christianity was spread at the blade of the sword; not through acts of kindness and love.

Obviously you haven't experienced kindness and love. How sad for you.

what does that have to do with the fact that a few million gallons of blood was spilled to allow christianity to have the global dominance it currently enjoys?

If I could take it back, I would.

I'd settle for your personal public denouncement of Christianity as a stagnant, irrational belief system that preaches a gospel of love and kindness while engaging in exclusionary practices and supporting the ostracism, ridicule, and censorship of those who question the stifling traditions and out-dated dogma of the Christian faith.

Never.

Well, a very simple step would be...if you (or any modern Christian) don't believe violence should have been used to spread Christianity, let's see you all get together and remove from the Bible all those passages that advocate killing non-Judaeo-Christians. If the need to do this was negated by the New Testament, why keep those passages? They give unbalanced people the idea that Christianity actually backs them up. Removing them would make an unequivocal statement to the world that that isn't the case.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 5:08 pm

You ask the impossible.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 5:36 pm

slowmutant wrote:
You ask the impossible.

if kindness, compassion and loving are the christian faith then obviously all the killing stuff was written by man and not the word of god. not impossible.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 6:01 pm

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
[Well, a very simple step would be...if you (or any modern Christian) don't believe violence should have been used to spread Christianity, let's see you all get together and remove from the Bible all those passages that advocate killing non-Judaeo-Christians. If the need to do this was negated by the New Testament, why keep those passages? They give unbalanced people the idea that Christianity actually backs them up. Removing them would make an unequivocal statement to the world that that isn't the case.

Well, you cannot cut off the branches which gave fruit to Christianity. History cannot be removed. Neither can Christianity speak for the people who usurped the religion and spread it to become powerful themselves. Religion in the medieval period was more about power than it was about spreading the gospel. It is stupid to think that it was the same religion that is spoken about in the bible.

How many people during that period read the bible? I would venture to say very few. Why would the church have had such an invested interest in keeping followers? You are your brother's keeper. More so his finances.

gloria patri

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 6:03 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

Merle

I'll play:

The guy is a loon. He has a tribal mentality. He should go back to his fire worship and leave the rest of us alone.

Not that fire worship is bad. ;)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 6:20 pm

oscuria wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

Merle

I'll play:

The guy is a loon. He has a tribal mentality. He should go back to his fire worship and leave the rest of us alone.

Not that fire worship is bad. ;)

oh, my goodness! I was just going to stand up to the death for fire-worshippers! I live in the Pacific Northwest and I want to let you know when it's foggy and it's the 15th day in a row that it is raining, your thoughts toward fire become quite fond, if not an exactly 'worshipping' stage.

call me dense, but I don't have a connection to any religion to the several spiritual experiences I have had in my life. If there had been a connection, I would probably be one thing or another. Although I have no doubt of spiritual reality, I am not connected with any physical or moral philosophy.

Merle