Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 9:12 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5fdzji2C54&eurl=http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/[/youtube]

monty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 11:35 am

A clear symbol of what is wrong with the conservative movement in the US - and it is wrong in so many ways.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 11:46 am

There are so many things wrong with that video. It's ludicrous.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 11:55 am

The Mahatma Gandhi is one of the most respected leaders of modern history. A Hindu, Ghandi nevertheless admired Jesus and often quoted from the Sermon on the Mount. Once when the missionary E. Stanley Jones met with Ghandi he asked him, "Mr. Ghandi, though you quote the words of Christ often, why is that you appear to so adamantly reject becoming his follower?"

Ghandi replied, "Oh, I don't reject your Christ. I love your Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Apparently Ghandi's rejection of Christianity grew out of an incident that happened when he was a young man practising law in South Africa. He had become attracted to the Christian faith, had studied the Bible and the teachings of Jesus, and was seriously exploring becoming a Christian. And so he decided to attend a church service. As he came up the steps of the large church where he intended to go, a white South African elder of the church barred his way at the door. "Where do you think you're going, kaffir?" the man asked Ghandi in a belligerent tone of voice.

(Kaffir, which once was a blanket term for black southern Africans, is now utilized exclusively as an ethnic or racial slur. The original meaning of the word was 'heathen', unbeliever or infidel, from the Arabic Kafir, but is now equivalent to the infamous "N-Word" of American culture.)

Ghandi replied, "I'd like to attend worship here."

The church elder snarled at him, "There's no room for kaffirs in this church. Get out of here or I'll have my assistants throw you down the steps."

From that moment, Ghandi said, he decided to adopt what good he found in Christianity, but would never again consider becoming a Christian if it meant being part of the church.

And people wonder why I'm so down on religion in general, and Christianity in particular.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

pheonixiis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 12:08 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5fdzji2C54&eurl=http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/[/youtube]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Where did they dig up this idiot? OMG

"They're gonna think that their god is bigger than you..."

:lol: :lol:

Oh help me.... I can't breathe.

-Walt Whitman

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 12:16 pm

Fnord wrote:
The Mahatma Gandhi is one of the most respected leaders of modern history. A Hindu, Ghandi nevertheless admired Jesus and often quoted from the Sermon on the Mount. Once when the missionary E. Stanley Jones met with Ghandi he asked him, "Mr. Ghandi, though you quote the words of Christ often, why is that you appear to so adamantly reject becoming his follower?"

Ghandi replied, "Oh, I don't reject your Christ. I love your Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Apparently Ghandi's rejection of Christianity grew out of an incident that happened when he was a young man practising law in South Africa. He had become attracted to the Christian faith, had studied the Bible and the teachings of Jesus, and was seriously exploring becoming a Christian. And so he decided to attend a church service. As he came up the steps of the large church where he intended to go, a white South African elder of the church barred his way at the door. "Where do you think you're going, kaffir?" the man asked Ghandi in a belligerent tone of voice.

(Kaffir, which once was a blanket term for black southern Africans, is now utilized exclusively as an ethnic or racial slur. The original meaning of the word was 'heathen', unbeliever or infidel, from the Arabic Kafir, but is now equivalent to the infamous "N-Word" of American culture.)

Ghandi replied, "I'd like to attend worship here."

The church elder snarled at him, "There's no room for kaffirs in this church. Get out of here or I'll have my assistants throw you down the steps."

From that moment, Ghandi said, he decided to adopt what good he found in Christianity, but would never again consider becoming a Christian if it meant being part of the church.

And people wonder why I'm so down on religion in general, and Christianity in particular.

That story is not a fair representation of the Christian faith. As always, Fnord, you drill down on the negatives and completely disregard the positives. Well done.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 12:24 pm

slowmutant wrote:
That story is not a fair representation of the Christian faith. As always, Fnord, you drill down on the negatives and completely disregard the positives. Well done.

Would you rather I ignored the obvious failings of Christianity and concentrated only on its alleged "good" points? There would be so little for me to say, that I'd see no point in posting at all.

But maybe that's part of the plan, eh? Stifle the voice of anyone who has a legitimate beef against Christianity, so that it would seem that only Christianity has no flaws, and thus attract more people to the collection plate.

Gotcha.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 12:40 pm

Fnord wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Would you rather I ignored the obvious failings of Christianity and concentrated only on its alleged "good" points? There would be so little for me to say, that I'd see no point in posting at all.

But maybe that's part of the plan, eh? Stifle the voice of anyone who has a legitimate beef against Christianity, so that it would seem that only Christianity has no flaws, and thus attract more people to the collection plate.

Gotcha.

How can Christianity be so successful and so popular if it has no good points? How would it have lasted 2000 years? Think about what you're saying.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 1:22 pm

slowmutant wrote:
How can Christianity be so successful and so popular if it has no good points? How would it have lasted 2000 years? Think about what you're saying.

s/Christianity/slavery/
s/2000/6000/

echo 'Argumentum ad populum'
echo 'LOL'

EDIT - I'm not so much comparing Xianity to slavery as I am pointing out how ridiculous your argument is with instance substitution

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

14 Oct 2008, 1:33 pm

Quote:
How would it have lasted 2000 years?

Quote:
Stifle the voice of anyone who has a legitimate beef against Christianity...

I think Fnord's already answered that one for you.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 1:35 pm

chever wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

s/Christianity/slavery/
s/2000/6000/

echo 'Argumentum ad populum'
echo 'LOL'

EDIT - I'm not so much comparing Xianity to slavery as I am pointing out how ridiculous your argument is with instance substitution

I wasn't talking to you. Didn't ask for your opinion.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 1:40 pm

slowmutant wrote:

That you used an argumentum ad populum is a fact. But here's an opinion you didn't ask for: it was stupid.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 1:54 pm

slowmutant wrote:

Well, I don't think that argument would do so much to go against his case, considering that in the period of 2000 years we find atrocities made by Christianity, the result would be to feed the negatives more.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 2:08 pm

chever wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

That you used an argumentum ad populum is a fact. But here's an opinion you didn't ask for: it was stupid.

That's your opinion.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 2:13 pm

Nearly all logicians would point out that argumenta ad populum are dumb.

And that is not an argumentum ad populum itself, btw; it's an appeal to expertise.

Now how is slavery still going strong after 6,000 years if there's nothing good about it?

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 3:34 pm

chever wrote:
Now how is slavery still going strong after 6,000 years if there's nothing good about it?

A dubious question verifying the pragmatics in and of itself.