Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 3:34 pm

chever wrote:
Now how is slavery still going strong after 6,000 years if there's nothing good about it?

A dubious question verifying the pragmatics in and of itself.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 3:36 pm

Read whole thread plz

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 3:45 pm

I'm not disagreeing with you. It just seems the discussion should end with that rhetoric.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 6:09 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The Mahatma Gandhi is one of the most respected leaders of modern history. A Hindu, Ghandi nevertheless admired Jesus and often quoted from the Sermon on the Mount. Once when the missionary E. Stanley Jones met with Ghandi he asked him, "Mr. Ghandi, though you quote the words of Christ often, why is that you appear to so adamantly reject becoming his follower?"

Ghandi replied, "Oh, I don't reject your Christ. I love your Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Apparently Ghandi's rejection of Christianity grew out of an incident that happened when he was a young man practising law in South Africa. He had become attracted to the Christian faith, had studied the Bible and the teachings of Jesus, and was seriously exploring becoming a Christian. And so he decided to attend a church service. As he came up the steps of the large church where he intended to go, a white South African elder of the church barred his way at the door. "Where do you think you're going, kaffir?" the man asked Ghandi in a belligerent tone of voice.

(Kaffir, which once was a blanket term for black southern Africans, is now utilized exclusively as an ethnic or racial slur. The original meaning of the word was 'heathen', unbeliever or infidel, from the Arabic Kafir, but is now equivalent to the infamous "N-Word" of American culture.)

Ghandi replied, "I'd like to attend worship here."

The church elder snarled at him, "There's no room for kaffirs in this church. Get out of here or I'll have my assistants throw you down the steps."

From that moment, Ghandi said, he decided to adopt what good he found in Christianity, but would never again consider becoming a Christian if it meant being part of the church.

And people wonder why I'm so down on religion in general, and Christianity in particular.

That story is not a fair representation of the Christian faith. As always, Fnord, you drill down on the negatives and completely disregard the positives. Well done.

it's a highly accurate representation of the christian populous as well as faith. it's positive about the positives of christianity and negative about its followers. i think it's fairly accurate and lovely folks like the reverend andy above simply re-enforces such points (not to mention the loud, positive audience response to it).

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 6:18 pm

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
Quote:
How would it have lasted 2000 years?

Quote:
Stifle the voice of anyone who has a legitimate beef against Christianity...

I think Fnord's already answered that one for you.

well, duh. christianity was spread at the blade of the sword; not through acts of kindness and love.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 6:26 pm

Was Gandhi ever in South Africa?

Thats the biggest problem I can see with that story.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 6:33 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Was Gandhi ever in South Africa?

Thats the biggest problem I can see with that story.

yeah. and he also said wrote articles about how he hates that indians are associated with kaffirs.

ghandi hated black people as much as the white people did and wrote articles advocating that indians aren't the same as those heathen blacks.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 6:39 pm

That's some pretty awful slander of the Mahatma. I rebuke it and you.

Last edited by slowmutant on 14 Oct 2008, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 6:40 pm

slowmutant wrote:
You're saying the Mahatma was a racist?

yes.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 6:43 pm

No, I don't think he was a racist. I think he was a better man than you could ever hope to be.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 6:45 pm

skafather84 wrote:
ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

well, duh. christianity was spread at the blade of the sword; not through acts of kindness and love.

Obviously you haven't experienced kindness and love. How sad for you.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 6:49 pm

slowmutant wrote:
No, I don't think he was a racist. I think he was a better man than you could ever hope to be.

your opinions aren't fact. you have a really hard time differentiating between the two.

http://www.trinicenter.com/WorldNews/ghandi4.htm

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 6:52 pm

skafather84 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

your opinions aren't fact. you have a really hard time differentiating between the two.

You seem to have the same problem. I don't know where you found that site, but it's garbage.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 7:06 pm

slowmutant wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

You seem to have the same problem. I don't know where you found that site, but it's garbage.

i can produce the actual articles in question too but the bottom line is he was a racist against blacks.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 7:11 pm

slowmutant wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

what does that have to do with the fact that a few million gallons of blood was spilled to allow christianity to have the global dominance it currently enjoys?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 7:15 pm

skafather84 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

what does that have to do with the fact that a few million gallons of blood was spilled to allow christianity to have the global dominance it currently enjoys?

If I could take it back, I would.