Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

oli234
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2008, 1:42 pm

It only occurred to me today when I watched the latest episode...........but he so is.

1. He's obsessive
2. He has a dislike of socializing and social functions
3. He's very rational
4. He doesn't know how to express himself properly (unless he has a knife and a few rolls of cling-film)
5. He's very formal
6. He kills people

It's perfectly clear to me now

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 2:23 pm

I thought he was supposed to be a sociopath.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 2:29 pm

I thought Dexter wasn't?

oli234
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2008, 2:37 pm

well yeah I suppose technically hes a sociopath.............but still a lot of things that seem aspie like.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 7:22 pm

I would not be so eager to take Dexter into the colective Aspie bosom. He is a sociopathic killer. The inference would be that all Aspies are sociopathic killers, which would be very bad press for us. Personally I don't care for the program or the character. I don't like how it seems to celebrate depravity and violence, murder and darkness.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 8:51 pm

Dexter is not an aspie, he is a sociopath.
It's attitudes like yours that are the reason people can't tell the difference and the reason that way too many sociopaths get diagnosed with Asperger's.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 8:55 pm

Whatever.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 8:58 pm

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 8:59 pm

Yupa wrote:
Dexter is not an aspie, he is a sociopath.
It's attitudes like yours that are the reason people can't tell the difference and the reason that way too many sociopaths get diagnosed with Asperger's.

How many diagnosed Aspies are actually sociopaths?

Owendust
Raven
Raven

14 Oct 2008, 11:26 pm

Dexter is one of my favorite shows. I agree that he has a lot of aspie qualities. I love the whole 'pretending to be normal' thing and his awkwardness in not knowing what to say when dealing with other people.

No, it doesn't mean that suddenly everyone is going to think that anyone with aspie qualities is a sociopath. That ship has sailed a loooong time ago. Every time the news talks about a kid who shot up his school or some similar horrible thing, the profile of the person typically shows that they are asocial with qualities that could be considered aspie-ish. There's already an association with these qualities and sociopathic tendencies in the public eye.

A show like this certainly isn't going to cause the common folk to take up their pitch-forks and chase the aspies out of town. It's entertainment with moments of funny social awkwardness that I can actually relate to.

Besides, the show clearly attributes Dexter's homicidal tendencies to the fact that he saw his mother cut to pieces with a chainsaw when he was little.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 1:19 pm

Um isnt tha also the qualities of a soiciopath...well add to that he kills people for a hobby.

PhR33kY
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2008, 12:21 am

Mudboy wrote:

That Dexter is an aspie and he isn't a sociopathic killer.

Owendust
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2008, 4:47 am

Eggman wrote:
Um isnt tha also the qualities of a soiciopath...well add to that he kills people for a hobby.

I don't see anyone who's disputing that fact.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 8:54 am

Obviously I'm the only one who can see something wrong with Dexter and how he conducts himself.

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2008, 3:00 pm

"6. He kills people"
Yes, it all makes sense to me now :lol:

Actually he's a sad excuse for a serial killer stereotype.

Owendust
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2008, 5:42 pm

Slowmutant, it's generally pretty obvious to most people that being a sociopathic killer is bad. I'd say it's pretty much a universal thought in the human mind except, of course, in those who are sociopaths.

"Dexter" is simply entertainment, which some people actually enjoy. It certainly doesn't mean that we condone those acts in real life.

As a special effects make-up artist working in Hollywood, I have an interest in certain aspects of the show, especially considering that one of my friends made the bodies and the ice block with fingertips inside for the first season (The ice-block is really freakin heavy). I can tell you that it actually made him nauseous to sculpt the drowning victims for an episode, because he had to look at pictures of real drowning victims, which he ended up toning down on the sculpts, so that people wouldn't have the same reaction.

slowmutant wrote:
The inference would be that all Aspies are sociopathic killers.

Your idea that the act of acknowledging that certain characteristics of a sociopath are aspie-ish would then infer that all aspies are sociopathic killers, is simply ridiculous. It's a logical fallacy known as "affirming the consequent."

You assume that B implies A on the basis that A implies B. In other words, you assume that people would believe that having aspie-like qualities(B) would imply that a person is a sociopath(A) if it's admitted that being a sociopath(A) could lead to a person having aspie-like qualities(B). In reality, there are many other conditions that could lead to a person having aspie qualities, and I think that the general public has enough intelligence to realize this.

It's like saying that because I have a fever, I must have the flu, because when I have the flu, I have a fever (When, in reality, there are many other conditions that can cause a high fever).