Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 6:41 pm

Postperson wrote:
You started a thread about it here. You and your uh sodomy thing.

As for aspie caretakers...they probably get enuf of that at work. thankyouverymuch.

And how would you know about that, eh? :roll:
Just exactly how did you come to the conclusion that people who work with aspie children take it up the ass at work???

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 2:07 am

I didn't.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 5:35 am

Postperson wrote:
I didn't.

So why did you mention my sodomy thread then? Its neither here nor there as far as this subject is concerned. :?

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 6:57 am

t0 wrote:
OP - I agree that you're making a judgement without apparent knowledge of the full situation. If you said "I talked to xxx, she's an Aspie caretaker, and she says she has no interest in adults with AS" then we could discuss that topic. But as such, we can't only make uneducated guesses as to why you're experiencing such results.

lotusblossom wrote:
Its the hardest thing about getting diagnosed is suddenly becomeing "other" in peoples eyes and being less than them, I really hate it.

Strange. I've always been "other" in peoples eyes and never professionally diagnosed. Are you sure it isn't "the hardest thing about ASD"?

No, before I was diagnosed I was treated as an equal, when people find out about the diagnoses they view me as disabled and unequal. This is prejudice from the label, the diagnosis rather than my ASD.

If it was the ASD then people wouldnt be different when they find out the diagnosis.

People have all sorts of prejudices, for example you would be supprised the number of people who be patronising or rude when they find Im a single parent or the amount of people who suddenly find Im interesting when they learn Im an artist.

Im sure lots of people who work in the careing industries would date someone with ASD but the very fact that our society is so prejudiced leads me to think that most people (especially those who work with ASD) are going to be put off by it.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2008, 4:13 pm

If anything, "special needs workers" are even WORSE than the average person when it comes to treating 'disabled' adults with respect.

Sure, she probably DOES assume that if she dated an aspie, that she would have 'more of the same' that she gets at work, but that in itself is really bigoted, because she's assuming that the functioning of a 30 year old man is exactly the same as the functioning of a 5 year old boy.

It's like if there was a woman working with inner-city kids, only to find out that the guy she was chatting with was black, hispanic, or native. Then, thinking "Well, I get enough of THAT at work...". It's just as prejudiced and ignorant.

When someone "works" with a group of people, without actually acknowledging those people as...well, PEOPLE; they are guaranteed to view those people as the 'other', and every single other interaction with a person in that group will be coloured by their existing perception, based on the people that they work with.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 8:10 pm

Katie_WPG wrote:
If anything, "special needs workers" are even WORSE than the average person when it comes to treating 'disabled' adults with respect.

Sure, she probably DOES assume that if she dated an aspie, that she would have 'more of the same' that she gets at work, but that in itself is really bigoted, because she's assuming that the functioning of a 30 year old man is exactly the same as the functioning of a 5 year old boy.

It's like if there was a woman working with inner-city kids, only to find out that the guy she was chatting with was black, hispanic, or native. Then, thinking "Well, I get enough of THAT at work...". It's just as prejudiced and ignorant.

When someone "works" with a group of people, without actually acknowledging those people as...well, PEOPLE; they are guaranteed to view those people as the 'other', and every single other interaction with a person in that group will be coloured by their existing perception, based on the people that they work with.

Good point. This is especially true of someone who works with children form a group of people that the worker does not belong.