Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 6:07 pm

Describe your perfect living environment.

Lately, I've been daydreaming (and doing a lot of research) on retro-fitting 8'x48' shipping containers into a home somewhere in a private, wooded area. It would be several levels with balconies, tons of windows looking out into the woods, no interior doors (I hate being shut in) and as self-sufficient as possible. I would have a seperate smaller building as my art studio that would preferably by floor-to-ceiling glass on at least three sides.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 6:22 pm

I'll stick to my island. a little wooden hut, a hammock, a solar battery on the roof to get me the connection with the world, a nice big boat and a few animals. and a good hi-fi.

plus, a neverending money supply to make all my ideas a reality :P

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 6:32 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:

Lately, I've been daydreaming (and doing a lot of research) on retro-fitting 8'x48' shipping containers into a home somewhere in a private, wooded area. It would be several levels with balconies, tons of windows looking out into the woods, no interior doors (I hate being shut in) and as self-sufficient as possible. I would have a seperate smaller building as my art studio that would preferably by floor-to-ceiling glass on at least three sides.

My friend works in an old Victorian indusial estate, which is also an artist's colony in the East End of London on one of the wharfs on the Thames, and some of the artists live in converted shipping crates. It is an excellent idea. There are ones that are literally cut a hole in the side for window, and others that are quite well done. I know there is a whole hotel being built of them west of London, so they can go many stories.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 7:21 pm

My perfect environment is the one in which I live, surrounded by books and cats.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 7:27 pm

cats make excellent building materials, good insulation :wink:

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 7:40 pm

No matter where you go, there you are.

The only place I've ever found is in my head.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 8:01 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:

That sounds amazingly awesome.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 8:22 pm

I tend to imagine myelf anything that's mobile but around nature like a boat or something that didn't need to be on ground to get around. Something that runs with ultimate fuel big enough to live in and flying low.

The thought of being stuck in one place has always worried me.

DollyJupiter
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Oct 2008, 8:58 pm

I would like to live in a renovated Gothic revival on the New England coast , with a big flower garden and a duck pond. I would like to have a huge glass reptile enclosure indoors and a lot of bright pythons and things, and piles and piles of books.

Either that, or a nice little apartment in Berlin where I can ride my bike everywhere.

Well played, Watson.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 9:48 pm

Right now it's the office, after everyone's gone home..;) can finally concentrate and get things done.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 10:00 pm

In RL it's wherever people aren't, at work it's typically a closet or a bathroom. The apartment is usually a haven, as my brother works opposite me so he's either asleep or at work while I'm home.

But ideally.... I'd like something like a bunker, sunk into the ground with high and narrow windows that also has several skylights. The outside doors would be the heavy steel kind, the walls would be 4ft thick and all stone.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

Rebecca_L
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2008, 10:17 pm

I dream of buying several thousand acres in the middle of nowhere and starting my own autism commune. Well, it wouldn't just be for people with autism, it would be open to their friends and family and people with other disabilities that might find country living more palatable than living in the rat race. I've been missing the farm I grew up on a lot lately, and the thought of gardening and growing my own food becomes more and more appealing every year. I miss food that tastes like food. Unfortunately, I haven't won the lottery yet, and it's looking like I won't until I actually buy a few tickets. Oh well, life isn't fair...

Taly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2008, 10:29 pm

a forest, to lay on the grass, the top of a montain or the beach at night.

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2008, 10:48 pm

The place I concidered my haven was taken away from me. I spent six years using that place as somewhere to go to get away from my home life and from my anxiety but I can't go there now like I used to.
I miss being there. I'm very sad.
:cry:

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 11:31 pm

Some place small and dark and cool . I'd live in a cave if they weren't so damp and had electricity. Actually, a shipping container is not sounding like such a bad idea. Nothing too small, mind you, but closed. I just have to close myself in to feel comfortable. My bedroom door is hanging open, and it makes me nervous. I think I'll have to close it soon. Even when I had my own apartment with nobody else around, I didn't feel comfortable in my room unless the door was closed. I don't have a problem with open spaces or anything; I love to be outside. An open door just makes me feel like there's always someone around the corner, and I like to be left alone.

Edit: And quiet! I can't stand noises. It doesn't matter if it's the noise of people banging and stepping and breathing annoyingly or the noise of nature. It's all noise. Unless it's running water or rain or thunder, which are nice in moderation.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 7:31 am

Rebecca_L wrote:
I dream of buying several thousand acres in the middle of nowhere and starting my own autism commune. Well, it wouldn't just be for people with autism, it would be open to their friends and family and people with other disabilities that might find country living more palatable than living in the rat race. I've been missing the farm I grew up on a lot lately, and the thought of gardening and growing my own food becomes more and more appealing every year. I miss food that tastes like food. Unfortunately, I haven't won the lottery yet, and it's looking like I won't until I actually buy a few tickets. Oh well, life isn't fair...

if I ever win the lotto I'll gladly chip in with you! :P