How do you guys feel about your gf going out w/other guys?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Phoenix22
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Oct 2008, 11:50 am

I know this sounds weird but my bf always said i should go out with other guys "just to have more friends". I said that would be leading them on, bcuz i was happy with him, but he insisted more friends are good.
Do you think he was trying to give himself license to shop around, or would that just take the pressure off him to be a "boyfriend" per se. I said I already looked around and just wanted to hang with him, but that made him take me for granted i think.
All feedback appreciated.
Thanks

PhR33kY
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2008, 12:00 pm

Personally, I am not the jealous type. If I had a girlfriend I wouldn't mind her hanging out with guy friends. If she was going to cheat on me, it would happen anyway, and it would be wrong not to trust someone that I am supposed to trust.

I can definatly understand him tolerating it, but insisting on it? The only explanations that come to mind is that he doesnt think you have enough friends and is worried or he is subly telling you that he wants to break up.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 12:02 pm

Don't know.

Personally I would not have a problem with my g/f having male friend because you have to show trust, not lock them up in an ivory tower.

As for pushing you to do that, I have no idea what his motive is. Why don't you ask him straight up?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 12:05 pm

It isn't cheating until you're married.

Wear a condom.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 12:12 pm

would need age and location to get a context of age specific and location differences due to geographical cultural expectations.

however, where im from...if a guy says that to a girl at any age, it means (to me)nthat he has left the relatonship, he just hasent left you yet.

guys rarely leave a relationship unless they have a "spare" warmed up.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 12:22 pm

Depends what you mean by 'go out with.' In England, if you're going out with someone, you're dating them - although to 'go out with x person' just means you are literally going somewhere with them.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 12:30 pm

Phoenix22 wrote:
I know this sounds weird but my bf always said i should go out with other guys "just to have more friends". I said that would be leading them on, bcuz i was happy with him, but he insisted more friends are good.
Do you think he was trying to give himself license to shop around, or would that just take the pressure off him to be a "boyfriend" per se. I said I already looked around and just wanted to hang with him, but that made him take me for granted i think.
All feedback appreciated.
Thanks

Is he suggesting that you have male friends, or that you date other people? Big difference in implication there. My partner has many friends who are male; I know her and trust her implicitly... it's not an issue there. I am thankful for her circle of friends, met a good number of them, and appreciate the support and friendship they offer her. However, I would not encourage anyone I was in a relationship to date other people while we were together - period. It would be wrong for me on many levels.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Diamond_Head
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2008, 2:19 pm

Quote:
I know this sounds weird but my bf always said i should go out with other guys "just to have more friends".

That seems somewhat strange to me, but hey, each to his/her own.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 2:38 pm

If my GF wants to go out with other guys (figuratively speaking) I'd wonder why she wanted to be with me in the first place. I'd wonder if our relationship meant anything at all. I would be hurt and angry, cuz to me having a partner/gf is very special. To me, it means exclusivity. I am reallt not into the whole polyamory thing.

Call me old-fashioned ... :?

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 2:39 pm

that might lead to an awesome 3sum

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 2:43 pm

Awesome threesomes are very rare. I wouldn't want to risk a bad threesome.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 3:10 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Awesome threesomes are very rare. I wouldn't want to risk a bad threesome.

Awesome threesomes are NOT rare. As long as everybody's there consensually, how could it possibly be bad???? The whole concept is for everyone to have a GOOD time, else why do it? I've never, ever, ever had a bad one and can only imagine it being bad if one or more parties were participating against their personal preference, which I suppose could happen, if you're in a relationship with a pushy, selfish ass.

Of course, the whole discussion is kinda off-topic, anyway...

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 9:02 pm

I would be bothered if I had a girlfriend going out with other guys, even though such jealously would likely just be one of my many faults. I'm amazed at how affectionate people can be with mere associates sometimes.