Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

The propoganda is that scientists are doing genuine research, but could it be that the "establishment" has a foothold even here? Which of the following seems most true?
Scientists are universally clever and consciencious people who would not tollerate the abuse of research funds. 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Scientists are universally clever and consciencious people who would not tollerate the abuse of research funds. 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Scientists generally mean well, but it's just a job/college degree, and they have too do as they're told like any other "worker". 23%  23%  [ 13 ]
Scientists generally mean well, but it's just a job/college degree, and they have too do as they're told like any other "worker". 23%  23%  [ 13 ]
Like any entity, the science establishment gets taken over by the usual type of control freak, so getting on means kissing butt, as usual! 18%  18%  [ 10 ]
Like any entity, the science establishment gets taken over by the usual type of control freak, so getting on means kissing butt, as usual! 18%  18%  [ 10 ]
Science is contrary to creationism, and thus in error. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Science is contrary to creationism, and thus in error. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 56

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2021, 11:38 am

I’ll add a new one.

Scientists usually mean well but it’s like being taught English. This is because it was invented and everyone learnt it so it works.

Think of an alien that talks in maths compared to our English language…learning science is the same as learning 3 languages.

None of them is right to aliens just like physics is like speaking Latin.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 11:45 am

↑ Wrong.

Science is based on universal principles, which function the same on Earth, on the Moon, on Mars, and everywhere else.  There is no "Alien Science".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 9:50 pm

gwynfryn wrote:
If any cyclotron directors are unwilling to fit this simple experiment into their schedules, then they really should be made to answer why!

I can answer the why and I am not a cyclotron director. (I have worked with particle beams back in my graduate school days.) One reason that they will turn it down is that it would cost them money to do the experiment. They are not running “free” experiments for just anyone who wants to use it, as it costs electrical power to generate the beam and to run the detectors. You also have to have the right credentials to be able to buy time on the beam. Most cyclotrons are booked months or even years in advance. Without that ability, the theoretical experiment is basically dead in the water.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2021, 2:05 pm

Fjord…

So every alien has English for their first language?

Math as their first language?

Vocal cords?

Have you seen Star Wars or Star Trek?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 2:18 pm

Technic1 wrote:
Fjord…

So every alien has English for their first language?

Math as their first language?

Vocal cords?

Have you seen Star Wars or Star Trek?

What are you talking about?

Aliens who are as advanced as we are we would be up against the same laws of nature we are, and the same laws of mathematics that we are. So they would discover the same laws. Even if their textbooks are written in Klingon, or in Pleiadian (some say that the saucer jockeys all come from the Pleiades stare cluster)and describe them in a different language. .

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 2:24 pm

Technic1 wrote:
Fnord… So every alien has English for their first language?  Math as their first language?  Vocal cords?  Have you seen Star Wars or Star Trek?
Citing Star Trek for validation of your argument serves only to illuminate the fantasy aspects of the concept you are trying to convey.  Scale it back a little closer to reality.  Have you ever attended classes at what used to be called the Sorbonne?  The fact that their science courses are taught in French does not mean they teach "French Science".  They teach the exact same science taught in English-speaking schools.  There is no "French Science", no "Chinese Science", no "English Science", et cetera ... there is only "Science".

Since the scientific principles we know are universal, it stands to reason that the same science we know is also the same science space-aliens would know, and even though they may speak an alien language, there is no "Alien Science".

There is only "Science", nothing more.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 10:21 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
gwynfryn wrote:
If any cyclotron directors are unwilling to fit this simple experiment into their schedules, then they really should be made to answer why!

I can answer the why and I am not a cyclotron director. (I have worked with particle beams back in my graduate school days.) One reason that they will turn it down is that it would cost them money to do the experiment. They are not running “free” experiments for just anyone who wants to use it, as it costs electrical power to generate the beam and to run the detectors. You also have to have the right credentials to be able to buy time on the beam. Most cyclotrons are booked months or even years in advance. Without that ability, the theoretical experiment is basically dead in the water.

I’m aware of the difficulties, but there’s an outside chance, given the likely outcome, someone may find the time to fit it in. Don’t directors of such centres have some leeway on what they’d like to do? It would be a truly boring job if all they can do is pursue projects derived elsewhere!

Thank you for staying on topic.

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 10:29 am

Harry Haller wrote:
Interesting question, cannot answer :(

Have worked with many scientists, each is as different as people are different.
Tough to lump into one universal bag.

But, trying to sort it out is a courageous endeavor :D

It shouldn't require courage, but in practice, here or IRL, if you dare to step off the beaten path you should expect the “orthodoxy supporters’ army” to turn up to oppose you. Or else, to try to change the topic…

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 10:16 am

gwynfryn wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
gwynfryn wrote:

I’m aware of the difficulties, but there’s an outside chance, given the likely outcome, someone may find the time to fit it in. Don’t directors of such centres have some leeway on what they’d like to do? It would be a truly boring job if all they can do is pursue projects derived elsewhere!

Thank you for staying on topic.

It greatly depends who is really in charge of the cyclotron. It is usually shared between several organizations due to the costs, so that does play into who gets to run and who has to wait. That is the case for CERN. Setting up the experiment equipment may cut into runtime on the particle beam for others who have a short window of time to use it. I am not trying to shoot down your idea, just giving possible reasons why it may not get runtime on a cyclotron.

You are not alone in wanting to use a cyclotron. I have theoretical quantum physics research that I would love to have tested myself. However the technology does not currently exist that can accurately measure some of the quantities that I want information on. It would give clues into what is going on in certain radioactive events. We know certain things that can lead to these events (best guesses), but I want to know specifically what triggers the event itself. I have an idea of what is going on in the substructure of particles that plays into the process. It is important to know as it unlocks some key information on how String Theory is put together.

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 8:53 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
It is important to know as it unlocks some key information on how String Theory is put together.

If I'm right, then String Theory is also dead in the water as it is essentially a way of making Quantum Mechanics and GRT conform. I suggest you spend your efforts on something more productive.

Any idea as to why this thread has been moved to the autism discussion forum?

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 6:38 pm

gwynfryn wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
It is important to know as it unlocks some key information on how String Theory is put together.

If I'm right, then String Theory is also dead in the water as it is essentially a way of making Quantum Mechanics and GRT conform. I suggest you spend your efforts on something more productive.

Sorry but I will not be changing my research area just because you think a certain way that is different than my own point of view. I seek knowledge that simply cannot be gained by your approach. My modified version of String Theory in matter/anti-matter formations has unlocked a few things already. It is based upon Albert Einstein’s Special Theory of Relativity combined with Richard Feynman’s work on particle conversions for annihilation and pair production events. With it, I have a good understanding why anti-matter acts like it does and why it is so rare to find in the universe. That is but the tip of the iceberg...

Good luck on your research. Time will tell who is correct on their approach. I welcome the challenge either way.

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 9:12 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
Good luck on your research. Time will tell who is correct on their approach. I welcome the challenge either way.

It could be a long wait: still no replies...