Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

AngryJessman
Toucan
Toucan

17 Oct 2008, 4:22 am

with a bit of research it seems to me creative people are too smart for the common person, and we are being raped of our talents, think about it, great artist aren't alive when money is involved, inventors would need to loan or make a deal with "sponsors" to get an idea "rolling", and percentages are "taxed" on YOUR IDEAS!! !! etc

great artists are normally poor yet manage to have genius/great inspiration

can someone please help me here, im mainly thinking of beccoming someone who does drawing or maybe other creative WORK, please help me as i may be too paranoid, i just don't know where to look to dig deeper in this lifestyle

PilotPirx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2008, 4:41 am

I don't think, that you're absolutely right about that.

Quote:
it seems to me creative people are too smart for the common person, and we are being raped of our talents

So the stupid one rapes the smart one for his talent? Seems a bit contradictory to me...

Those great artists you mention, often didn't make money. True enough, but nobody else made any money out of their work too. Take Vincent van Gogh. He was poor, but just nobody bought his pictures. It's not, that somebody bought them cheap and sold them for lots of money at his lifetime. The pictures only became valuable after his dead.
The opposite example would be Andy Warhol, who made quite some money. In general nowadays artists have better chances to earn money.

Don't worry about somebody stealing your work too much. If somebody can sell your stuff for high prices, you would realize that soon enough and just stop working with that person. If you sell high, people will know your name and be eager enough to buy directly from you.
In everyday creative work like design you will make contracts based on single projects anyway.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 10:29 am

All I will comment on because I have no time is money. I can create art for myself or another person, for fun or to get out a feeling or stress, to put an idea into solid form, but if I think of writing or painting something for money or a contest or to fit a theme someone else has set, I short out completely. If the desire to create art is there, it drives itself and the artistic lifestyle is the lifestyle of each artist who is making art. Making money at it is a sometimes ugly reality of surviving as an artist, marketing oneself and dealing with those would put a dollar value on your fire and inspiration, those who would say, "Do it again and more people will buy it." If you're lucky and your product takes off. I have any number of ideas that would sell, drawings and paintings, and I can turn my hand to all sorts of useless little crafts that would fly off the table at a craft show. But then I'd have to make more than one, deal with the public, and set a price on my creations. So I sell nothing.

I'm lucky, it isn't necessary for me to sell anything to live, so I can create and wait until I get an idea where to go from here. I wish I had more advice on how to begin as a paid artist. If you're just thinking of drawing, start drawing. If you want to know how to learn how to draw, find a class or try a book called "Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters," by Robert Hale.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 10:53 am

AngryJessman wrote:
with a bit of research it seems to me creative people are too smart for the common person and we are being raped of our talents, think about it, great artist aren't alive when money is involved, inventors would need to loan or make a deal with "sponsors" to get an idea "rolling", and percentages are "taxed" on YOUR IDEAS!! !! etc

great artists are normally poor yet manage to have genius/great inspiration

I don't think you meant it this way, but this comes off as pretty arrogant to me. The idea that the "common person" is somehow substandard and can't have creativity. It also reads like your definition of "artist" is limited to those in the traditional sense.

I consider some scientists, computer programmers, etc to be artists as well. They are solving new problems in creative ways. They don't use a pen or brush but they take ideas and create things in their own mediums. Most do end up working for companies that take credit and profit for their solutions, but it doesn't seem so bad to me based on the cost of the equipment used to create.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 2:54 pm

Statistically speaking only one out of every 80,000 artists actually make a living unassisted by any other means.
Additionally, it is the artists estate that tends to make the money, not the artist while they're alive.