Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Buttersboy142
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Oct 2008, 11:10 pm

If you could live in a community filled only with people with Autism/Aspergers, would you? I'm curious to see what other people think.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 11:12 pm

It would depend on some other factors, but quite possibly yes.

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 11:16 pm

it would depend on the amount of rubber clad hot aspie chicks...sorry for my shallowness XD

Buttersboy142
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Oct 2008, 11:30 pm

Orwell wrote:

If by factors you mean basic necessitates for survival, then hypothetically consider those to be provided given we preform a service of some sort.

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 11:35 pm

you know, despite our neurotype...its no guarantee that we'd all actually "get on" personality wise....i for example am incredibly sociable (for some ungodly reason) and i like to hug....if i tried to hug the wrong aspie they'd get kinda freaked out and that would lead to tensions...i guess alot of us have the same problems in life, but it's a bit of a gamble.....i mean.....alot of black people face adversity in certain countries, does this automatically mean they'll all get on? i kind doubt it.x

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 11:36 pm

Buttersboy142 wrote:
Orwell wrote:

If by factors you mean basic necessitates for survival, then hypothetically consider those to be provided given we preform a service of some sort.

So long as I can pursue the things that interest me, count me in.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 11:37 pm

Xanderbeanz wrote:
you know, despite our neurotype...its no guarantee that we'd all actually "get on" personality wise....i for example am incredibly sociable (for some ungodly reason) and i like to hug....if i tried to hug the wrong aspie they'd get kinda freaked out and that would lead to tensions...i guess alot of us have the same problems in life, but it's a bit of a gamble.....i mean.....alot of black people face adversity in certain countries, does this automatically mean they'll all get on? i kind doubt it.x

I dunno... the one guy on my floor who I most quickly and naturally made friends with later turned out to be Aspie, so it seems we do relate to each other somewhat better. And at worst, it wouldn't be much different from interacting with "regular" people.

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 11:39 pm

interestingly, i think we actually have empathy with one another, something we lack with NT's....but whether it's enough to establish a new colony on? im doubtful x

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 11:41 pm

Whatever happened with Ana54's Aspie Commune plans? I take it they never came to fruition?

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 11:48 pm

aspie commune? sounds too much like a cult when the word "commune" is mentioned XD

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2008, 11:51 pm

Sigh.. Another commune suggestion to get my hopes up. I suppose I won't bother this time.
Unless of course it actually becomes possible, then I'm all in.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 2:45 am

Orwell wrote:
So long as I can pursue the things that interest me, count me in.

That, and, if people can see the sign on the door indicating whether or not I want to be bothered, and keep their music (or other noisy crap) down, then I'm game. If not, then sound-proofed walls should be standard.

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2008, 3:33 am

I would love to live in such a community. I am well aware that we are all unique individuals, and we would not all get along all of the time - however, it would be MUCH easier than living in an NT community.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 6:19 am

I'll always have a very warm feeling to the idea of going off and living in a commune. But so much would depend on details. Every time I think of a possible downside to joining, I can imagine a way round it if the details were favourable.

In practice it would take a lot to coax me into making such a big change. Frankly my life's too good as it is - sure it's got its problems, but hey, I've got a partner who cares about me and enough money to stay sheltered and fed, my job is often uncomfortable but it's also pretty secure.

I was once in an "alternative community," which didn't work out very well, too many power struggles going on. It splintered into two groups, I found life a lot better after that because all the people I didn't like were in the other group, but we still had a few big economic and interpersonal problems that couldn't be solved, and eventually I left and got a job.

Couples tended to be viewed with suspicion, not surprisingly, it's natural enough for a couple to back each other up when the chips are down. And the couples felt threatened by the unattached individuals, again quite naturally, the sexual temptations can be very strong when you're living and working together. We weren't hippies, though we shared housing, and I think that makes the social thing more demanding. The need for space was respected, as long as the work wasn't compromised.

I sometimes envied the visitors, who didn't get the same expectations on them.
I think I'd like to at least live near your community, and drop by from time to time.

I don't know how it would work out with everybody being AS - sure there'd be a common interest which would be a binding force, but I suspect a "pure" group of Aspies might be better off with an enlightened NT or two around.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 6:50 am

No. All the people I like are non-autistic.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 9:10 am

Meh.

A commune of close friends of other neurological disorders, aspies and NT's would be better.

Actually, the plan is when I get old enough to move out is exactly that. :lol: