Does it bother you when strangers talk to you????

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2005, 7:33 pm

It very much depends on the person, the subject of conversation and my own mood. If I happen to meet another aspie I'm usually thrilled to talk because it so rarely happens. I talk to a lot of people that other people don't give the time of day, homeless people, quiet people, children... If I can control the conversation I don't mind talking to most people but honestly its usually more of a socially acceptable way of talking to myself, getting ideas out, not so much talking to the person as at them (as people have so many times accused me of doing). I do like to talk with interesting people though.

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2005, 4:14 am

I know what you mean about the whole talking to your self. I wouldn't actually stand there talking to a wall, but it has the same affect really.
Often I'm having a lengthy monolouge about something like music running through my head and I feel frustrated if I don't say it. Though often I forget it and talk crap instead, or say something about Charley (the goverment cat).

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2005, 10:34 am

ramsamsam wrote:
or say something about Charley (the goverment cat).

Which was..coincidentally; sampled by the Prodigy for the classic:- "Charley". 8)

Original topic.
I do not like speaking to strangers,I feel no need/want for it and like to be left alone to think about what I want to think,it's usually old people who try to speak to me at bus stops,if it's just a:- has the number _____ bus come yet type question,i'm okay with that,but there are some who are relentless with conversation,I get out of that as soon as I can.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2005, 11:02 am

Like I said, with me it really depends on the topic of conversation. If the person is talking sex, politics or religion I run away as fast as possible. Now if they are talking about computers I might hang around and listen to what they have to say.

Small talk and even short conversations about things like buses aggravate me at times. Because I was thinking and somebody so rudely interrupted that to ask me if the 32 has been by yet or if I know how to get to Burger King from here.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2005, 2:49 pm

In most situations I dont like it. Usually I just stay quiet but if I'm really freaking I find this helps a little. But also Ive learned to use it as a calming/defense mechanism. If I say whats on my mind most people either find it off the wall or extremely intelligent. I'm also good at making fun of situations which can sometimes make it both ways so while I'm good at noticing things and making fun of the situation I still can't control whether it calms me or excites me even worse. Depends on peoples reactions most the time.

(Reading that over it doesnt make much sense, but I'll post it anyway)

synchro
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2005, 2:54 pm

It all depends…

When I’m out hiking and meet someone on the trail, I can talk on and on and generally I like those situations. Although the people I talk to in those situations are strangers, they obviously share the same interest as I or they wouldn’t be out there. It’s pretty easy for me to talk then and I always learn something about the area I am in, or alternately inform others about places of interest in the area.

In other situations, it can be annoying. It depends on the amount of reciprocity the stranger expects. I can belt out a few stock phrases and smile, but if there’s extended talking I may balk. My mind will start sorting through lists of things to say and I try to figure out where the conversation is going. It doesn’t happen too much, so it isn’t something I worry about. People asking directions and little things like that don’t bother me at all, I actually like helping people and try to be a good Samaritan.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2005, 6:08 am

When old ladies speak to me, I usually assume it is some kind of attempt to convince themselves that I'm non-threatening.

When other strangers speak to me, I usually assume they are a little socially awkward, or are selling something.

06xrs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2005, 10:17 am

Yes, drives me nuts. I keep thinking "Do I know you?". And if they ask me "How it going?" I'm thinking "What do you care?"

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2005, 1:49 pm

Usually not, unless I'm distracted or busy with something else.

Though I'm usually not up for long conversations. But a nice friendly comment or two is alright.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

quietangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2005, 6:15 pm

Thank you all :) Your responses made me think of other situations where it wasn't so painfully annoying. I guess when you are annoyed it is hard to see the times it may not have bothered you so much...

I agree with the one post where they were trying to figure out if they knew the person... I have a very hard time recognizing people (unless they have a VERY distinguishable face...)
I find myself looking at them and hoping I see some sense of recognition on their face...

8O

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 10:31 pm

I am nervous when boys(especially if they are older-looking and bigger) come up and talk to me(which happens ALOT!0_o)but I don't mind if a girl starts talking to me.But if it IS a girl WHAT they talk about tends to tick me off(O_o).Like,when they criticise the way I dress and how I SHOULD dress.Mainly that.

-SpaceCase :)

McManager
Raven
Raven

12 Dec 2005, 5:10 pm

I don't like when strangers talk to me because I usually say something stupid in reply. Even if it isn't stupid, I think it's stupid, and then I replay the event over and over and over in my head analyzing the situation. That's what bothers me the most.

pooftis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2005, 12:39 am

Yes it bothers me. I don't particularly like talking to people unless I know them really well, (and even then I can be tight lipped) I never know how to end those conversations, and I don't know what to say to a stranger because I am very private and it feels invasive to tell someone I don't know about myself.

s0uThp4rk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2005, 5:14 pm

Yep, it bothers me... Even if it's a short good-morning or something, I'll talk back, but I'll wonder if I did it in the right way or if i made a fool out of myself. This is mainly because I don't look at them and I usually sort of mumble my words :roll: The only people I can usually talk with are people I know... :?

PathoftheImmortals
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2006, 10:15 am

Actually surprisingly I'm somewhat comfortable talking to strangers / making just a few pleasantries in conversation, for me it's when anything goes past those first few pleasantries that it gets difficult and awkward. :(

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 11:07 am

Yes, this does piss me off big time. I really hate it when I'm minding my own business and some weirdo nutcase out on the streets forces me to have a conversation with them and I'm forced to choose between being rude and ignoring them or listening to their BS. There was this one case where I'm sitting down keeping to myself and this nutcase sits right in front of my face smelling like he hasn't showered in his life, telling me about how everyone's always a c**t when he tries and speaks to them, asking me whether I'm going to be a c**t as well. These people need to be locked up. :x