Promotions
Marketing
Teacher
Medical practitioner

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2008, 6:10 am

I think "spy" would be the worst possible job for me.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:55 am

I could easily supply a fifth option to this as I have been there done that: working in sales. You have to deal with lots of people (usually arrogant turds) and you get spoken to like crap (mainly by your bosses) on a regular basis.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 8:10 am

WhyAmIAspie wrote:
4.) Teacher- All though they have above average intelligents, they would make great teachers. This career requires an extremely high level of social competence, which they do not have. Aspies in general become too involved in their subjects and will go on and on about it. Their pedantic behavior will bore their students. The students will also be annoyed by their perfectionism and high expectations

Ohhhh, so THAT's why I can't get a job. YES!
I have a degree in education, and I was a classroom teacher for a year. But I lost my job, in no small part due to the above classifications. Well, it was these things that ended up causing worse things, which is why I have no job.

You know, I always wondered why I was constantly missing deadlines, overwrought with anxiety, avoiding work, having constant problems with students, occasionally having meltdowns..... good lord.... it all makes perfect sense now.

Currently, I substitute teach, which is fun because I can pass like a ghost through social situations. Substitutes are eternally forgiven, sympathized with, and free... to a large extent, ignored. It's true that being in a new place just about every day can be disconcerting, but I've learned to take a different stance on it. I mentally step outside of it, like a sociologist... studying the patterns and habits of the little humans I encounter every day. Very interesting stuff. To be sure, I've considered Sociology as a prospective career for years. Just never followed up on it, and I almost feel like it's too late to go back and start on that path now.

My intellectual love is plants, and that's what I want to work with. Plants and I get along just fine :)

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 8:55 am

WhyAmIAspie wrote:
4.) Teacher-
mathmeticians,

Um, this is from an article I read. I forgot the link sorry.

um.... I am a math teacher.

ripcity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2008, 8:56 am

I shall sleep easier knowing I could never be a fing pig.

tonyd
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2008, 8:11 pm

Submariner. Working and living in a submarine.
Even working on a ship.

Kassiane
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Dec 2008, 8:46 pm

Well according to this thread I shouldn't be able to do my job, and certainly shouldn't be good at it. I'm a gymnastics teacher and often find myself jumping up on equipment to demonstrate. Oh, and the kids love me. So long as this continues, their parents will also love me, and therefore my bosses will also find it financially in their interests to love me.

They learn stuff too. It's one of those things where unrelenting enthusiasm for the subject at hand, and being completely clueless that I may or may not actually be making a fool of myself in the eyes of other adults, are advantages.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 8:56 pm

WhyAmIAspie wrote:
1.) A police officer- Aspies tend to be very gullible and they lack the traits needed to be a sucessful cop. THey do not have the ability to detect deception or detect any suspicious behavior.
2.) A judge- It is their gullible trait that makes a Judge the worst possible career for Aspies. They lack the abily to detect deception and put all the pieces together.
3.) Football player- Aspies lack the physical coordination. They can't pass a football, or run very fast. They can also be too clumsy.
4.) Teacher- All though they have above average intelligents, they would make great teachers. This career requires an extremely high level of social competence, which they do not have. Aspies in general become too involved in their subjects and will go on and on about it. Their pedantic behavior will bore their students. The students will also be annoyed by their perfectionism and high expectations

According to research, these are the worst jobs for any Aspie. As you all may know, the best jobs for Aspies remains the same. Computer programmers, mathmeticians, lawyers, travel agents, bus drivers, scientists, sociologists. But these are the careers that people suffering from Asperger's must avoid.

Um, this is from an article I read. I forgot the link sorry.

I think aspies would make great judges. They can judge cases from a totally logical standpoint without letting their emotions influence their decisions.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 9:23 pm

I couldn't be a police officer - I can't take all of the flashing lights.

amhealy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2009, 6:04 pm

I'm an Aspie, and I'm a lawyer. I love what I do. I've been doing it for 10 years.

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2009, 6:53 pm

LOTS of Aspies are teachers. Why? Because they love academics and the academic setting. They go to school for multiple degrees, eventually find out that they have to make some money somehow and that they are more qualified to teach than anything else. This has been my experience and the experience of several of my colleagues.

I am an Aspie. I am on the mild side, true, but still an Aspie with some serious social anxieties. I am also a great teacher. I relate to kids better than to adults AND I get that many kids walk into my classroom with lots of baggage (my own experience) and that they learn in different ways (also my experience). The subject I teach is one of my obsessions. Those things make me a better teacher than most.

It's not true that Aspies can't learn social behavior and deal with the public. I am an example that they can. It is still a struggle for me, and if I could, I would retire tomorrow because of the stress of having to do it, but I do it anyway and do a great job of it.

www.neurointegrity.com

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 9:08 pm

Telemarketing would be difficult.

Most sports would be difficult for people with AS. However, I think marathon running might be a good sport to take up. It stresses endurance rather than speed. A lot of famous middle and long-distance runners were very introverted.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 11:18 pm

I'm going to school now to become a librarian. I think it's a good career choice for me, though not for everyone who has Asperger's. It's a great fit for me, personally. It's a bit more social than I'd prefer (interacting with the public, etc.) but I can always (hopefully) work my schedule around the busiest times. For me, because I can be a bit gullible at times, this will be great because I won't be around many people or in many situations that involve deceptiveness. I still have another 8-10 years of school left lol. But when the time comes, I'm sure it will be an even better fit. My social skills (skills isn't the right word) have improved a lot in the past 10 years, so I'm sure they'll be even better by then.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 5:00 am

:D I would suck at being a lawyer. Especially if I knew that the person I was defending was guilty and yet I had to convince a judge that they were not guilty. I think my sense of justice would get the better of me... 'Your honour, although I am meant to be defending this SCUMBAG, I know that he did it because he blooming told me so in a quiet room... SO SEND HIM DOWN!! !'

Yeah, don't think I would get paid much huh?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 5:20 am

here are 5 that would be my worst choices.

1. optometrist
2. vaudeville actor.
3. jack hammer operator.
4. funeral director.
5. motivational speaker.