Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Xyzzy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2011, 3:23 pm

MindWithoutWalls wrote:
Leonard's mother was portrayed as being very much like Sheldon. It felt weird to me, given her education and career, that Asperger's was never mentioned.

I just assumed that it was so obvious to both of them that it wasn't neccessary to mention it.

The writers could give a little nod to Aspergers by noting that Leonard's mom was an Aspie and never overtly comment on Sheldon.

The one that surprises me more is Amy. She's repeatedly commented on Sheldon's behaviors, so you know that she's not making any assumptions about his self-awareness or filtering the commentary. She could have a "blind spot" for autism, but it seems unlikely.

Leonard may be on the spectrum, but Sheldon is off in the ultraviolet.

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 3:29 pm

I'm only now watching the series, so I'm about to see the last disk of season two. I've been borrowing the first three seasons from a friend. After that, I'll have to get them from Netflix, one disk at a time.

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

sogj
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Nov 2011, 4:14 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
She is most often alone (a closet mild Aspie?), not with other girls her age, & she has a super smart geeky friend. Over the years, I have observed "normal" girls doing things together as groups (even going to the bathroom together) or out shopping. Never did things like that. So again, would Penny actually choose to hang with these guys if she were really NT?

Penny does do all of those things, frequently, it's just not part of the plot. "Oh yeah, just getting back from the game" or "hanging out with my friends" or something. We never SEE her doing those things, but she does do them. She's definitely NT.

Everyone knows Sheldon is a closet aspie. NTs pick up on that right away, I have tons of friends who don't even come close to thinking about asperger's or autism on a regular basis and picked up on that right away. It's well known and there have been a couple of memes about it.

I don't think any of the others has it. They all have demonstrated theory of mind repeatedly in the episodes. Leonard can easily tell when the others or Penny is upset, sad vs angry, etc, whereas Sheldon (and myself!!) need it explicitly explained.

I leave you with this little gem. (Ignore the top half - the whole image was commenting on the Office vs the Big Band Theory at the Emmys.) :lol:

[img][800:1172]http://i.imgur.com/UgDmb.jpg[/img]

DrHouseHasAspergers
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2012, 1:59 pm

Sheldon doesn't have Asperger's. He's just quirky.

"Prady told TV Squad’s Allison Waldman that he never had Asperger Syndrome or any form of autism in mind when writing for Sheldon, writing the character as the character."- http://autisticjournalist.wordpress.com ... -field-is/

kraven
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jul 2012, 2:23 pm

yeah, can you imagine the PR crapstorm that would follow after they decided to out Sheldon as having been on the spectrum all along? After his quirks have been the punchline of so many jokes?

Even if they meant it, they'll likely never say they did.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Jul 2012, 5:28 pm

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Television, Film, and Video]