Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 1:44 pm

Late reply, I know :roll:

Just saw this show last night, I don't think they could make his AS more obvious is they had him come right out and say it, with a textbook definition flashing on the screen.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 1:56 pm

If sheldon isn't an aspie no one is. And I think it was intentional.
All 4 charatcers remind me of me and my friends, me being leonard, although my friend insists I'm sheldon.

Last edited by MONKEY on 30 Jun 2009, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 2:05 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYQzokPKUn4[/youtube]

heheh :lol:

JamesG
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jan 2010, 11:41 am

My wife and I watch this show weekly (I'm AS, she's NT). Randomly, I turn to her and ask if it's like looking at me. She just shrugs and says that the resemblence is uncanny sometimes.

When posting this, I saw two options - "New Topic" or "Post Reply." As mine is a standalone comment on a thread, it's neither! I just wanna contribute! (whines to himself)

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 12:04 pm

I don't know or care what they intended for the character...

But I love watching it all... Especially being into science, myself :)

Sheldon makes me giggle gleefully :)

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 2:50 pm

richardbenson wrote:
im thourally convinced the universe didnt explode out of nothing. nor did "god speak" making it out of nothing. it was probably just some random lucky thing that happend, slowley over time

Congrats on not reading anything but the title!

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 3:24 pm

In a recent episode, someone made a misstatement, which Sheldon tried desperately to correct - only to be cut off repeatedly by the other characters (apparently deliberately), his frustration growing with every attempt.

My wife accused the writers of following me around at that point...

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 5:11 pm

Sheldon is Aspie, Aspie, Aspie. Actually also Leonard seems Aspie, just milder.
A question for Aspie here. Are you really like Sheldon? I mean, my friends always joke at me calling me Sheldon, but actually I'm somewhat like Sheldon for something but more like Leonard as social skill. There are really Aspie, so much Aspie (or also more?)

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 5:55 pm

Never knew this, gotta watch it with my girlfriend now.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 7:17 pm

The kicker for me are the episodes in which Sheldon tries to decode what is going on around him.

Leonard: Yes... For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to... hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
Sheldon: You have a sarcasm sign? --The Big Bran Hypothesis

Penny: Because love trumps hate.
Sheldon Cooper: Oh, now you're just making stuff up! --The Codpiece Topology

Leonard Hofstadter: Okay, let's try it this way: what if this People magazine thing is the best Raj is ever going to achieve?
Sheldon Cooper: I had not considered that. I often forget other people have limitations. It's so sad.
Howard Wolowitz: He can feel sadness?
Leonard Hofstadter: Not really; it's what you and I would call condescension. --The Griffin Equivalency

Sheldon Cooper: I'm sorry, Penny. Is this conversation making you uncomfortable?
Penny: Of course it's making me uncomfortable! Can't you tell?
Sheldon Cooper: Not really. I'm not that good at reading facial expressions. --The Vegas Renormalization

"I'm sorry, I don't understand what social situation this is. Could you give me some guidance in how to proceed." --The Financial Permeability

Not to mention, of course, "[Knock, knock, knock] Penny? [Knock, knock, knock] Penny? [Knock, knock, knock] Penny?"

:D

AGMorehouse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Jan 2010, 7:32 pm

I myself have Asperger's Syndrome and I watch this show every Monday night when it is all new. Sheldon IMO is indeed an Aspie- and not treated for it. Sheldon is not a TRUE representation of someone with Autism, but the writers just do it to exaggerate his characteristics. I wasn't too hip about the making friends one (especially when he was talking to an 8-year-old) as to me that was reinforcing the stereotype that people with Autism are dangerous to the world, since many of us at least know what is right and wrong (I can have friends my own age thank you very much). As for them revealing his Autism someday- that will never happen. I want it to happen, but that will be "Jumping the shark."

you will jouney from boy to man

Last edited by AGMorehouse on 08 Jan 2010, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 7:35 pm

This show recently started airing here and I absolutely love it. The first scene with Sheldon my little brother turned to me and said "heh, the skinny guy reminds me of you, only way smarter." which made me smile, then I threw a shoe at him for calling me stupid.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 6:10 am

Tonight's ep, watched with girlfriend, only caught last 10 minutes~.

He's getting hit on by this chick, he insisted on wearing those big foam rubber Hulk hands.

She hints that it's getting late, he agrees, says it's time for bed.

She looks excited.

He holds the Hulk hands up and says "GOODNIGHT, PUNY HUMAN!" then leaves.

She comes to his bedroom, asks if she can hang out in there for a while, he says "ok... I'll go sleep in Leonards room, goodnight."

Girlfriend laughed her ass off, as I'm just as stupid about signals like that.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 2:17 pm

AGMorehouse wrote:
I wasn't too hip about the making friends one (especially when he was talking to an 8-year-old) as to me that was reinforcing the stereotype that people with Autism are dangerous to the world, since many of us at least know what is right and wrong (I can have friends my own age thank you very much)."

I was fine with The Friendship Algorithm. After all, from Sheldon's perspective, from the child's perspective and from the audience's perspective, his connection with the child in the bookstore was entirely appropriate. It was only Leonard who perceived the potential for something problematic--and that was not inherent in the relationship between Sheldon and the young girl, but rather in how others might perceive it.

I don't see anything that suggests people on the spectrum are dangerous. (Especially as Sheldon is not acknowledged to be on the spectrum, and is described by the producers as, "Sheldon-y," rather than Aspie.)

0hawkeye0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jan 2010, 11:48 pm

My entire family loves Big Bang Theory. I think Sheldon is Aspie, and I think Leonard might be too, but sort of in a different direction, I guess. I have no idea as to the intentions of the production team, and I really don't care if it's intentional or not. Just like Dr. Brennan on Bones and Dr. Reid on Criminal Minds, Sheldon and Leonard make me feel good, because it means that there are people like me on television. I guess that's all I really need, regardless of labels.

On a sidenote, I like to think myself to be most like Leonard, but my family insists I am most similar to Sheldon. Hm. Go figure. :o

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 1:02 pm

AGMorehouse wrote:
(I can have friends my own age thank you very much).
What does age have to do with being able to be someone's friend? As long as you are keeping the relationship appropriate, not making advances on those underage, I fail to see the issue. Especially when there is a common interest between the two people.

I have friends my own age. I have friends much much older than myself. Also, I have some friends significantly younger than myself. (though this last group is significantly smaller, and I am friends with the parents as well)