Rape victim, 13, stoned to death in stadium

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 12:14 pm

slowmutant wrote:
You should mind your own, instead. What can you say about your own life that is positive? What is so great about your own way of life? Ishmael, you're just about to cross the line of decency here. This is a support site, remember that.

This is the biggest load of bull that I have read
You are saying that not having a faith makes you unhappy? Dude I was forced into religion as a kid by my mom! I felt like a prisoner, she is a blind mindless follower that refuses to ask questions, much like a lot of religious people. Being able to question faith, even it is your own, is freedom. slowmutant... have you not 'considered' even just a little that there just might not be a god? Even Jesus himself questioned his disciples if they are sure if they want to follow him, which means that going into a faith that you will not question is really a unwise thing to do!

I don't know if there is a god, so I am not going to let the idea of one control me, I am going to live a good life just for the sake of being good. I do respect the beliefs of others, but sensible religious people need to draw a line as to how far will they let their religion control them? Like the Jehovah's Witnesses forbid blood transfusions, and they brain wash their kids into refusing this life-saving treatment when they need it.

slowmutant wrote:
Can you prove there is no God?

You can't even prove there is one. Just fess up and say that you just don't know if there is one.

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 12:44 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Any answer you could possibly give to a koan (Zen saying) is wrong. They are meant to be pondered. Koans have no logical solution, they're used for mind-training.

A koan is the intellectual equivalent of a tar-baby. You can't help but get stuck, and the harder you struggle, the more stuck you get.

so if i give an answer, which could be deemed as correct (looking at it from a logical angle), it would still be classed as wrong?

a koen can be theorised and an answer can be given yet religion has no logical answers.

Chibi_Neko wrote:
Like the Jehovah's Witnesses forbid blood transfusions, and they brain wash their kids into refusing this life-saving treatment when they need it.

once again, religion can be classed as evil.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 3:04 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Excuse me, but it is a Zen riddle. It's like Show me your face before you were born or Why did Bodhidharma come to China? or What is the sound of one hand clapping?

It might be a riddle in the same form as Zen koans, but since Zen is a Buddhist sect and does not include belief in an all-powerful god, the specific question you posed can not be a Zen Koan.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 7:20 pm

Quote:

Based on what? The Jehovah's Witnesses refusing blood transfusions?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 7:26 pm

LKL wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Excuse me, but it is a Zen riddle. It's like Show me your face before you were born or Why did Bodhidharma come to China? or What is the sound of one hand clapping?

It might be a riddle in the same form as Zen koans, but since Zen is a Buddhist sect and does not include belief in an all-powerful god, the specific question you posed can not be a Zen Koan.

Buddhists are not as attached to ideas and concepts as all that. "God" and "Enlightment" are just words used to describe something indescribable. Don't you think Western civilization has its own form of Zen? Are you all that small-minded?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 9:41 pm

The dojo I train at shares its space with the local zen group. I have a lot of interaction with them, including when I was uchi deshi (live-in student) for half a year. Zen isn't some formless mish-mash of whatever-you-want-it-to-be.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 10:33 pm

LKL wrote:
The dojo I train at shares its space with the local zen group. I have a lot of interaction with them, including when I was uchi deshi (live-in student) for half a year. Zen isn't some formless mish-mash of whatever-you-want-it-to-be.

I'd be lying if I said I understood Zen, although I was a Mahayana Buddhist for a few years. Are you about to proclaim yourself a Zen master as well as a theologian?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 11:02 pm

I didn't say I was I monk, I said I was uchi deshi in a dojo that shared space with a zen sangha. I talked to some of them, including the priest, and I didn't get the impression that they would use a koan involving an all-powerful god.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 11:32 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Any answer you could possibly give to a koan (Zen saying) is wrong. They are meant to be pondered. Koans have no logical solution, they're used for mind-training.

A koan is the intellectual equivalent of a tar-baby. You can't help but get stuck, and the harder you struggle, the more stuck you get.

People already answered your zen koans. We all saw them do it. They have been pondered, and answered. They are not profound wisdom, or unanswerable riddles.

What proof that god does not exist? Hard to say, but I do see proof that GOD is an ignorant selfish bastard who cares not a whit for even the innocent, and lifts not a finger to help them. He allows the greedy and evil to prosper, whilst the good and blameless suffer and die. If we assume that there is a God, I want no part in his ministrations, as he brings nothing but evil upon us with his capricious ways. I have witnessed such acts with my own eyes, and seen the helpless and innocent die. Where was your god then? Where was this all-forgiving wonderkind of a deity when this innocent girl was having her brain smashed out with rocks? Where was this powerful and omniscient deity when half of Indonesia got swept away? Where was any god when whole cities burned incandescent in a matter of seconds, and men brought hell upon earth? Where was God when a 5 month old child died FOR NO REASON AT ALL, barely a year after the same mother watched another 5 month old child die in her arms? Israelite god, Islamic god, not a sign of them anywhere as believers and non-believers die in their thousands.

God? I s**t him.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 2:20 am

It's interesting how this whole thread spun out of control. Where were we? :roll:

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 6:05 am

slowmutant wrote:
Quote:

yes.

religion prohibits people from doing what is right most of the time, if a 'witness' has a blood transfusion they'll not be allowed in heaven... which just goes toshow how evil 'god' can be.

i say let children live this life, heaven is uncertain but this life isn't... plus there's more evidence pointing to the fact heaven doesn''t exist.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 7:50 am

familiar_stranger wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Quote:

yes.

religion prohibits people from doing what is right most of the time, if a 'witness' has a blood transfusion they'll not be allowed in heaven... which just goes toshow how evil 'god' can be.

i say let children live this life, heaven is uncertain but this life isn't... plus there's more evidence pointing to the fact heaven doesn''t exist.

And what is that evidence? I beg you, don't toy with my emotions.

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 10:53 am

slowmutant wrote:

well, there's plenty of videos on the net of 'ghosts' which straight away contradict the 'heaven theory', plus there's no evidence heaven exists what so ever. the 'bright light' isn't heaven, it's your pupils dilating.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 10:56 am

familiar_stranger wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

well, there's plenty of videos on the net of 'ghosts' which straight away contradict the 'heaven theory', plus there's no evidence heaven exists what so ever. the 'bright light' isn't heaven, it's your pupils dilating.

My world is shattered.

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 11:01 am

slowmutant wrote:

My world is shattered.

i wouldn't go that far, your world hasn't been shattered, more 'opened up'.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 11:45 am

slowmutant wrote:
familiar_stranger wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Quote:

yes.

You still didn't provide evidence of a god.