Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2005, 7:33 am

Twitch wrote:
I don't excel at verbal communication by any means but when I am with another aspie that doesn't seem to matter.

I've noticed the same thing. In particular, knowing in advance that someone is Aspie allows you to relax and not worry about unintended meanings.

Nitz
Raven
Raven

06 Dec 2005, 2:20 pm

Quote:
There's no such thing as a "higher" or "lower" functioning aspie is there? Are you talking about HFA and LFA? Cause I would obviously want my group to be HFA and AS, but other than that it would feel weird not allowing someone to join coz they are more "severe" than other aspies. And aspie isn't a nickname for autistics in general, autie is.. okay maybe u knew that. i was just wondering what you meant. but maybe groups should be open to EVERYONE on the spectrum, who knows, i dunno if i'll even get a group going, as i only know like; 3 people in my area, and its only online...

Berta--I didn't know that " auttie " was even a word, actually. This is only my third week after my diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome, so forgive me for my naivette of the different conditions.

I'm not talking about excluding people, I'm just saying that I personally would have a hard time in a group full of Low-Functioning Autistics. When people think about autism and AS, they tend to come up with images of the lower-functioning people; in the meantime, many of the high functioning autistics don't even know about their condition ( I spent 20 years oblivious to my AS ). If a group were created in my area, it would be a good thing, but it probably wouldn't be something I would benefit from, is all.

Still, the alternative ( learning to socialize better with NTs ) makes it a rock and a hard place situation...

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2005, 6:27 pm

oh, yeah, of i agree with you then. i wudnt want LFA in my group either, but i dunno. i just want this group to happen in my area i have no idea how..

Oreo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jun 2009, 6:19 pm

Twitch wrote:
I sort of wish we had one in Richmond despite my difficulties with verbal communication.

i agree with you, we should have one in richmond!

yes, i'm autistic