Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2005, 4:11 pm

Its funny, a lot of my friends are kinda like that as well - they're kinda skiddish about people who are different but they've never had any problem making an exception for me. Maybe it's because at the bottom line I'm not really that different and that friendship really doesn't require the parts of my brain that gives me the most trouble? Hard to say.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2005, 4:14 pm

Lol, how do we keep doing this? I edited at the exact same time as your post. I just added the part about Hangout members at the end of the first paragraph.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2005, 5:13 pm

Lol, I don't know - it's kinda like how we always have a way of hijacking and crashing threads too. :lol:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2005, 6:08 pm

Yeah we do have quite a talent for that, don't we? The thought kinda crossed my mind to move the conversation to pm, but I didn't think it through any further than that to actually do it. We weren't too far off topic, although it's going straight downhill now with these last couple of posts... 8O :D We don't have conversations like this often enough though, so it's been nice (especially since it seems to be so hard to find people we can really relate to - I know a lot of what you're dealing with is so similar to me, but at the same time it's still refreshing to see it in writing).

Asparagus
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Dec 2005, 6:13 pm

Self talk, coaching, was mentioned and it interests me that it was said AS people are poor at it. I do that enough when I am by myself but when I am talking to someone I just can't stay focused. Is there a way to keep the sensory overload to a minimum when interacting with people?

Does anyone else have problems trying to process what you hear? Where I work it is 90%+ women and they all talk so fast and talk forever about things that seem to make no sense. It comes to a point that even when they are talking "normal" I am not sure if I am hearing them correctly.

From Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye: I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mute

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2005, 6:40 pm

Asparagus wrote:
Does anyone else have problems trying to process what you hear? Where I work it is 90%+ women and they all talk so fast and talk forever about things that seem to make no sense. It comes to a point that even when they are talking "normal" I am not sure if I am hearing them correctly.

From Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye: I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mute

Have you ever watched a Charlie Brown cartoon and heard the adults go "Wha waa! Wha wah waa!" before? That's what people might as well be saying whenever I'm listening to a bunch of people conversate. I had to train my ears to listen to the speaker when I was in a class lecture and write everything down to make what was said more concrete.

Just one of the things that convince's me that cartoonist, Charles Schultz was an Aspie. :wink: