Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2006, 9:52 pm

Sophist wrote:
I love Bach (#1 fave) and Chopin mostly. I also enjoy opera, Pavarotti especially.

I've yet to find an opera that doesn't hurt my ears...although I can sometimes get through Wagner. Any suggestions?

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2006, 4:20 am

Quote:
I've yet to find an opera that doesn't hurt my ears...although I can sometimes get through Wagner. Any suggestions?

Let your ears hurt. It's worth it.

If you can get through a Wagner music drama you should be able to get through most opera without too much discomfort.

I like Wagner. I find some italian opera a little annoying but do enjoy some Puccini and Verdi.

When it comes to music generally I like Bach the best.

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2006, 11:10 pm

Sorry, but Wagner's not worth it. I personally don't consider liking Wagner as good taste, but more like an mental illness.

I starting my music degree as a clarinet performance major, which was a bad choice, seeing my least favorite period is the Romantic period, and that's the fairly large chunk of the standard clarinet repetoire. I ended up switching to jazz guitar.

I like early music, Baroque, and modern from Bartok onwards. Big fan of Bartok, Ligeti and Part.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2006, 3:27 pm

dexkaden wrote:
Sophist wrote:
I love Bach (#1 fave) and Chopin mostly. I also enjoy opera, Pavarotti especially.

Maybe an opera would be less painful if you watched it instead of just listened? Far more entertaining. Hmmm...

However, as I am with all music, composers' names, artists' names, band names, and song titles, I enjoy a lot of music but I can very rarely recall what it was or who it was by. So as for recommending Operas other than Phantom of the Opera, Cats, Les Miserables, etc., I'm not of much help. :?

I know music by sound recognition. Usually most works I refer to as "that song". :lol:

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2006, 12:29 am

Sophist wrote:

Maybe an opera would be less painful if you watched it instead of just listened? Far more entertaining. Hmmm...

However, as I am with all music, composers' names, artists' names, band names, and song titles, I enjoy a lot of music but I can very rarely recall what it was or who it was by. So as for recommending Operas other than Phantom of the Opera, Cats, Les Miserables, etc., I'm not of much help. :?

I know music by sound recognition. Usually most works I refer to as "that song". :lol:

I do not like Phantom of the Opera...but I do enjoy Les Miserables for the most part. I have to say that I have not been able to get through Cats without using the remote control.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2006, 3:10 pm

dexkaden wrote:
Sophist wrote:

I do not like Phantom of the Opera...but I do enjoy Les Miserables for the most part. I have to say that I have not been able to get through Cats without using the remote control.

Probably would be better seeing it on stage. I've never gotten through the screen version either, hehe. :)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Voxsolemnis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Mar 2006, 9:08 pm

It sure is awesome to see some posts related to classical music! I was not sure how much response it would generate when I started the post. Cool!

Anyway, regarding the topic of Opera, I would have to very much agree with previous comment.... It is tough to only listen to it (one, I am such a visually oriented person) as a CD, tape, or on radio... & I admit it gets boring that way. Some folks would disagree with me there (such as people with stronger listening ability versus visual)... & that is ok. However, once I am in a concert hall or opera house (or see it on DVD), it becomes a whole new realm that I love experiencing. My favorites would include the so called "big guns" like Carmen, Tosca, Aida, and Turandot, and less well knowns such as Dvorak's Rusalka and Mussorgsky's Boris Gudonov. Somehow watching opera for me makes it transform from something to dull to a truly spectacular theatrical event.

AreFriendsElectric

10 Mar 2006, 11:06 am

Pbqiously-Great composers: Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Mahler, and Niccolo Paganini.

Niccolo Pagini can be considred to be the greatest violinists ever lived, with perfect intonation and the introduction of new playing techniques! In one single hand span, he could play three octaves on four strings, and AMAZING FEAT, PEOPLE! This is probably due to his Marfan Syndrome
When Paganini would play his violin in front of a live audience, crowd members would often convince themselves that they could see the devil playing with him. Weirdos.