Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 9:30 am

I don't believe in James.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 10:14 am

The unicorns were among the creatures Noah overlooked as he was populating the Ark with two of every kind. Unicorns, fairies, and for obvious reasons, the giants. No kidding, there are actual scriptural references to giants existing in the OT.

NB: No matter how big the Ark might have been, it couldn't possiby have contained specimens of every species on Earth let alone sustain them for the duration of the Flood. This story, like many others, is best read as symbol, parable and metaphor. The truth it conveys is real, IMO. But if you ask me it's written in some kind of symbolic shorthand which may have been the only viable mode of storytelling in those instances.

Use your judgement when reading/interpreting scripture, which is what I do. Stories like Noah's Ark & the Garden of Eden are obviously (to my mind) meant to serve as symbol/parable/metaphor.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2009, 3:16 pm

I'm Atheist but my parents insist I'm Catholic, so I'm just letting them think that since the last time I told them they went ballistic.
I don't really see what the harm in doing so is, I'm doing my confirmation this year and I only see the Catholic church loosing out, all I do is say a couple of lines.
EMZ=]

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 3:34 pm

Emor wrote:
I'm Atheist but my parents insist I'm Catholic, so I'm just letting them think that since the last time I told them they went ballistic.
I don't really see what the harm in doing so is, I'm doing my confirmation this year and I only see the Catholic church loosing out, all I do is say a couple of lines.
EMZ=]

Why undergo the rite of confirmation at all if it would be insincere? You can opt out of getting confirmed, you know.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 4:07 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Emor wrote:
EMZ=]

Why undergo the rite of confirmation at all if it would be insincere? You can opt out of getting confirmed, you know.

He wants to have peace with his parents.

ruveyn

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 4:39 am

Some freak deer-type animals will only pruduce a single, central horn.
A comment on the unicorn-issue.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 7:50 am

PLA wrote:

Yes, but that's a deformity.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 8:04 am

slowmutant wrote:
PLA wrote:

When the Neanderthals gave birth to the first Cromagnons that was probably considered a deformity also.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 8:14 am

Sand wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
PLA wrote:

When the Neanderthals gave birth to the first Cromagnons that was probably considered a deformity also.

You may be right about that. It's not like we can ask them.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 8:47 am

slowmutant wrote:
Sand wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
PLA wrote:

You may be right about that. It's not like we can ask them.

As a matter of fact, there isn't much conversation going with deer type animals either.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 10:51 pm

slowmutant wrote:
The unicorns were among the creatures Noah overlooked as he was populating the Ark with two of every kind. Unicorns, fairies, and for obvious reasons, the giants. No kidding, there are actual scriptural references to giants existing in the OT.

NB: No matter how big the Ark might have been, it couldn't possiby have contained specimens of every species on Earth let alone sustain them for the duration of the Flood. This story, like many others, is best read as symbol, parable and metaphor. The truth it conveys is real, IMO. But if you ask me it's written in some kind of symbolic shorthand which may have been the only viable mode of storytelling in those instances.

Use your judgement when reading/interpreting scripture, which is what I do. Stories like Noah's Ark & the Garden of Eden are obviously (to my mind) meant to serve as symbol/parable/metaphor.

I'm guessing Noah overlooked Dinosaurs as well?

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 11:35 pm

Sand wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
PLA wrote:

The first H. sapiens were not descended from Neanderthals, although the basic point holds.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 11:35 pm

z0rp wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

I'm guessing Noah overlooked Dinosaurs as well?

They were probably long extinct by then.