Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MenruiNoMiko
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Nov 2005, 12:37 pm

Dammit...this used to be a lot easier.

My name is Leah. I'm a 24-year-old diagnosed Aspie with comorbid ADD. It's been a long, long time since I was last able to access the internet and post on a forum, due to serious health problems and a nightmare situation with my family. I returned to find the forum I used to post on gone because some as*holes overthrew the original owner/creator of the board. I'm a little scared to start posting anywhere again...partly because I always kind of freak out when introducing myself to new people. But I found I really needed a place to talk to other people of my species again...so here I am! ::tries not to hyperventilate::

I'm a film student at San Francisco State University (formerly Academy of Art College, but financial issues and a severe lack of resources for disabled students forced me to transfer). I'm a writer, a film buff, a sci-fi/fantasy nerd (yes, this includes comics and anime, go ahead and laugh), a science geek, and, weirdly enough, a seamstress and textile artist. Like any Aspie worth her stripes, I will cheerfully go on and on and on about any of these subjects until told to shut up or summarily shot. My first love was and always will be the written word. I will literally and compulsively read anything that's within visual distance: novels, magazines, street signs, food ingredients, stereo instructions, etc. I find it much, much easier to express myself in writing than by speaking.

I have the standard array of Aspie traits, strengths, and struggles, if anything about Asperger's or any ASD can be said to be 'standard'. Perseverations include spinning (as of this moment, I have sacrificed 3 computer chairs to the gods of vestibular stimulation), rocking, hand-twisting and wringing, and, unfortunately, skin-picking, though medication has helped me with that. I'm hypersensitive to sound, certain kinds of light (I have to wear dark glasses when working with lighting rigs on my film projects, and fluorescent lighting makes me irritable, twitchy, and gives me headaches after more than an hour of exposure), food textures, smells, and fabric/clothing texture. I'm brilliant at trivia, can memorize anything but mathematical concepts or equations after reading it once, and can play piano by ear...but I can't read music, my 'working' memory is extremely bad, and I can't do any math more advanced than simple arithmetic, i.e. 2+2=4. I suffer from severe panic attacks which didn't used to be as bad as they are now, and it's a mighty challenge to even be in the same space with more than 5-10 people at a time.

Like a lot of Aspie/ASD people I've spoken to, I seem to suffer from what I call 'Nothing Works Syndrome'. I have multiple medical problems that, like Asperger's, are pervasive, systemic, and permanent. I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, and what was once Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia but is now Addison's Disease, thanks to surgery 8 months ago to remove my adrenal glands. I was also recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, about a month ago, and suffer from intractable sleep disorders--apparently since birth, according to my parents.

Do I wish I was rid of all those health problems that are f*****g up my life? Hell yes. Do I wish I was an NT? Hell no. In the immortal words of Popeye, I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam. I don't see Asperger's as a disease or something that needs to be fixed. It's how I was born, it's built in, it's my species. Homo Autisticus.

Whew. There. I've rambled on and on about myself and whined about my problems enough. Thanks to the creators of this forum for giving me a place to speak, and thanks to anyone who reads for fighting their way through it.

- Leah

Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2005, 12:52 pm

Hi. :jester: You sound like you will fit in well here. I know what you mean about the 'nothing works syndrome'. I hope to see you post alot. :)

-Sean

GhostsInTheWallpaper
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2005, 12:55 pm

Hello...

I'm also a skin picker. What kind of medication is helping with that? I've heard on the ADD forums I used to participate on that the stimulants used for ADD can often make it worse, but I'm not sure if I'd really been affected by meds either way when I was on them. I'm not looking for any medication to help it...I'll try harder or more creatively to overcome it if I want to badly enough.

I wonder why physical health problems tend to correlate with ASD's...is it more shared genes for the different conditions, or the merging of gene pools of different kinds of "outsiders," such that PDDers and people with physical limitations often mated? To me, AS in itself doesn't sound all that bad, and in fact even sounds attractive.

That you have/had CAH is also interesting...AS is more common in guys, but CAH tends to make girls more mentally and genitally similar to guys, so I wonder if that might have played into the development of AS?

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2005, 1:50 pm

Hello, MenruiNoMiko (Leah)! Welcome to WrongPlanet!

No one will laugh at you for being a sci-fi/fantasy nerd, there are a lot of them here. I can relate to a lot of your experience. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 9, and AS when I was 16 (I'm 18 now). Like you, I am not good at math, and I can't do simple arithmetic in my head. I don't have fibromyalgia, but someone who I am close to was recently diagnosed with it. You'll fit in here.

Nitz
Raven
Raven

30 Nov 2005, 4:59 pm

Leah,

If any person here laughs at you for being a comics and anime fan, or anything else you've mentioned, then they don't deserve the title " Aspie ". Laughing at someone else's interests and hobbies, even if they seem unusual to you, is ( or at least should be ) taboo amongst Aspies, since we've all been viewed as weird for our personal quirks and should have empathy for anyone who's different. I'm a comics fan, an anime fan, and an Aspie. I make no apologies for any of these things, because there's nothing to apologize for.

Anyway, I'm off my high horse now. Welcome to the forum! :)

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2005, 5:34 pm

Welcome,
Sounds like you are going to fit in just fine.

Y

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2005, 7:29 pm

Hi, Leah!

You don't sound weird, to me. You just seem like a very eclectic person with lots of interests. And what's "weird", anyway? I think some things that people are "supposed" to like are weird....like drinking yourself sick, for instance. I collect beanie babies and with a collection of 150+, they have taken over my home and turned it into their own zoo exhibit. :lol:

Anyway, don't be aprehensive about sharing your thoughts. No one will demand anyone to be "perfect", here.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2005, 10:16 pm

Hey, Leah! Welcome to WP, and I really hope you enjoy your time here. :)

stlf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2005, 12:35 am

Quote:
I'm a film student at San Francisco State University (formerly Academy of Art College, but financial issues and a severe lack of resources for disabled students forced me to transfer). I'm a writer, a film buff, a sci-fi/fantasy nerd (yes, this includes comics and anime, go ahead and laugh), a science geek, and, weirdly enough, a seamstress and textile artist. Like any Aspie worth her stripes, I will cheerfully go on and on and on about any of these subjects until told to shut up or summarily shot. My first love was and always will be the written word. I will literally and compulsively read anything that's within visual distance: novels, magazines, street signs, food ingredients, stereo instructions, etc. I find it much, much easier to express myself in writing than by speaking

film school!! ! writer!! ! nerd!! ! science geek!! !

all awsome stuff MenruiNoMiko!! !! !! !! Welcome, It's very nice to meet you.

I get what you are saying about the compulsion to read everything...I've been known to read tooth paste tubes, shampoo botles, and matress tags when bored...basicaly anything with words...sometimes even in languages I don't even speak!

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2005, 1:51 am

I was a film student at SF State, but that was in 1964. And all those professors are finally dead, I hope. But anyone who goes to State is okay in my book.