Whats your IQ? (NOT a 'OMG, I'm smarter than you thread!')

Page 17 of 20 [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

rollermonkey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2015, 12:08 am

I've tested at 132, 135 and 137, but some days I wonder if I'm closer to 80. :/

princessarachne
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Mar 2015, 1:21 pm

104 :/

No mensa for me! :roll:

archetype
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2015, 3:16 pm

"Genius = 1% inspiration + 99% perspiration."
- Einstein

Mozart:
General IQ assessed at 146
Accomplishment: IQ 210 for his ability to make "divine and effortless music." Mozart spent the vast majority of his time writing music.

Two Nobel-winning physicists each had general IQ's of 125, and were discounted as capable of genius when they were in school.

Me:

From public school in the USA (whatever test at the time), my general IQ = 141

By a full battery of timed, standardized, and supervised testing (whatever tests at the time) at 17yo:
IQ = "...up here, somewhere," because I had concluded, while taking the test, that the spatial relations portion of the test was actually to determine whether someone had a learning disability or some type of congenital brain malfunction. It was really easy, and I score off the chart, off the paper, and onto the tester's desk.

By "Time, Space, and Hyperspace" high-IQ society spatial relations testing at 34yo(?):
SR IQ = 190+ (I invalidated 10 of 20 questions, so I don't know how that test could measure anything; the test was subsequently invalidated and is no longer accepted).
Speaking of pomposities, I emailed the author of that test to inform him that 50% of his test was invalid and he wrote me back; "Why would you want to take a test you feel is invalid?"

By all other high-IQ spatial relations tests:
Either I get all the answers correct or I invalidate the test question, except for one I got wrong, once.

So I stopped taking tests because I have the basic idea, anyway.

MoatsArt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jul 2015, 4:08 am

I have never had an IQ test done. I can't say that I know much about them, but I have been doing a little thinking.

I would suggest that an IQ test says more about those who write it than those who take it. By this, I mean that the creators of an IQ test have certain beliefs about what constitutes "intelligence". Let us consider a body of individuals we call "P" who are responsible for designing these things. Those of class "P" quite probably share a similar cultural background, although there will inevitably be sub-classes of "P". That said, they are all share either the desire to measure intelligence or are perceived (by those that want to measure intelligence) to have the right skill set to undertake this work. In any case, the make-up of "P" is determined by those who focus on comparative classification and analysis.

Before measuring something, it is necessary to define what is being measured and then formulate a method of measuring it. Let's briefly consider these two properties: definition and method, but in reverse order.

Based on my limited understanding, IQ tests purely measure one person against another using statistical methods. It is relative rather than absolute. What happens if average intelligence increases over time? Imagine I have an IQ of 100. If I traveled forwards in time by 1000 years and am measured again I might be given an IQ score of 70. Has my actual intelligence changed? Am I "dumber" now that I have changed my situation in time? Hold that thought.

Now consider, what happens if I jump on a plane and am taken to the Amazonian jungle and plopped into a pre-contact society. Imagine I gave them a written IQ test in English, how would they go? OK, now assume that ten years have passed and I have a significant percentage how to speak, read and write and administered an IQ test designed by "P" for a western population. How would they go now? Hmm... that depends on who they are compared to. Others in their own culture, or Westerners. I would speculate that the two scores would be vastly different. So then, is the average Amazonian tribesman dumber than the average Westerner? Again, hold that thought.

Another point I just thought of is that in the act of measuring you are possibly effecting the object of your measurement and skewing the results. For instance, when I was school I usually did better at assignments than exams. Exams made me really nervous and I found it hard to remember stuff. What are we measuring by tests? How well you know the material or how well you can do tests? In the same way, perhaps IQ tests not only measure how intelligent you are (whatever that means), but also how well you do at IQ tests, your capacity to deal with pressure, how you felt on the day etc.....

In short, the method used by IQ tests for intelligence is:

1. Relative in nature
2. Contextually determined
3. Potentially distorting of its own results

As soon as the context changes, the results of the test are questionable. While it is possible to say that an individual has IQ of 120, this figure only has meaning if the context by which the results were measured are very precisely defined. Moreover, one needs to consider the homogeneity of the context in respect to age and cultural background. To get a useful measurement the context needs to be more and more carefully defined.

Let's move from my simple understanding of the methods of IQ testing to the definition of "intelligence" itself. We carried out two thought experiments to illustrate that intelligence is relative. This forms the first part of "Intelligence" as defined by "P". If this is the case, it is not really possible to say that someone is intelligent. They can only be said to be "more intelligent than that guy over there".

I understand that in a general sense "intelligence" considers cognitive functioning in reference to a problem or pattern. There are many types, or "domains" of problems and patters. Consequently, the definition of intelligence should also consider the "domain", the aspect of human functioning that is valued and compared. This is where we learn about the group "P". IQ tests tell us about the people "P" who create them. What do they value as important in relation to cognitive function? The ability to predict the next shape in a sequence? How to interpret a question written using standard English? The ability to store information in the short term memory?

An IQ test designed by our Amazonian tribesmen would probably look quite different, having different domains. How to catch a fish in different settings. How to determine the right time of year to go hunting for a particular animal. I am sure you get the idea.

So what is being measured in an IQ test? I would suggest that it measures the comparative ability of an individual to function well in the society of the people who designed the test. Let me return to one of my earlier ideas: An IQ test tells us as much about the people who designed it as the people who created it.

An IQ test is only useful if the person interpreting the results is aware of the method of measurement and the aspects of functioning that are being measured. An IQ is dangerous in the wrong hands. It can make you unjustifiably arrogant or unjustifiably despondent. It can lead others to think that you are not suitable for a particular job, when in reality your skill set might be perfect.

An IQ test creates a setting, assumes a cultural background and then compares the result to the results obtain by people in the same setting but not necessarily of the same background. If the setting changes, the results are less useful in predicting comparative function.

So what am I saying? This: IQ tests are useful at predicting how well you can complete IQ tests, but only in relation to other people.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 8:12 pm

Some people in internetland are quite dismissive of all IQ testing and often because an IQ test does not measure every possible form of intelligence perfectly.

I have never heard Experimental Psychologists claim that IQ tests are perfect or that they are a true measure of every possible form of intelligence. Like most scientific endeavors they are a 'work in progress' as we continue to understand intelligence.

IQ tests have some strong predictive value and are very helpful in understanding children's strengths and weaknesses.

MoatsArt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jul 2015, 9:36 pm

My post was just a "thinking out loud" thing. I am not qualified to make any judgement. Heck - If IQ is a predictor of success within a given society my IQ would probably be about 70: I have been unemployed and suicidal for over a year. Don't listen to me.

Dick2Dick4Dick
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jan 2018, 4:19 pm

Because at this level, it's a little bit inaccurate: 165-175

I can prove it:

At 4 years, I could solve 8-year old maths and I could read and write fluently. At 7, I was considered the "smartest kid in school", because I had the mental capabilities of a 12-yo. Nowadays, I'm an underachiever, buuuuut I can build electronic systems, which isn't that easy if you think twice. Like, building a little self-built movement sensor above the entrace, which is connected to an output-thing, so I know, when someone enters the apartment.

But, after all, it hasn't brought me anything good yet. It would be ok, if I had an IQ of 125, too. If it was so, I wouldn't have to suffer from constant boredom 6-8 hours a day. The consequences of it are headaches (4-5 hours a day), constant tiredness, reduced concentration, etc.

High intelligence is a good thing, but only if everyone else is more or less at your level (Like IQ 100-115. And I have to remind you that IQ is not a measure of intelligence itself, it's more a comparison of people's intelligences, so if everyone would be 10x more intelligent instantly, the average IQ would remain 100). It's useless to have an IQ of 170 and then suffer your whole life.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2018, 6:14 pm

I only once did an official test at school and never got to know the result. Given my very spiky profile it's very doubtful any measure of FSIQ would be that accurate.
My psychiatrists have always described me as highly/very intelligent. I always say I'm intelligent enough not to be stupid and stupid enough not to be really intelligent.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 11:54 am

I have no idea what my IQ is and I'm not interested in finding out either.

I have been told I have a high IQ ( whatever that is ) but it doesn't stop me feeling like Fred "Thickie" Holden sometimes :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 1:55 pm

I have an idea. Everyone who claims they have a high IQ needs to prove it (copy of test or certificate, no online tests, only tests that actually are used by psychologists and have methods that are peer reviewed). Otherwise, I will believe you are a liar who thinks it is a competition of who has higher fluid intelligence.

Ziemael
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Mar 2018, 3:27 am

118 to 141. depending on sleep, caffeine, nicotine etc, heavy spelling (I am horrid at word spelling) after 5 tests I just averaged the stupid things, came out around 130.
Brigg/Meyer/Jung class is INTP as well

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 9:49 am

137. Does not help at all with my social skills or common sense...

John Gault
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Mar 2018, 8:00 pm

148.. but I don't believe it cause I'm a stupid loser. 8O

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2018, 11:27 pm

I don't know. What I considered the most reputable test scored me at 118, but it wasn't a very good one either way.

I hope to get it professionally tested some day.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 6:03 pm

On the WAIS-IV I scored in the 130s. On a separate test I took recently I scored 146.

Deemar

12 Oct 2018, 8:41 pm

archetype wrote:
"Genius = 1% inspiration + 99% perspiration."
- Einstein

Thomas Edison, not Einstein.