Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Aspie4u
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Dec 2008, 12:22 pm

I think the way she portray an Aspie is ridicule and not even realistic.

DeanFoley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2008, 1:06 pm

I'm sorry, but what do you people expect?

Autism, disabilities and other things aren't included in TV shows to make a media message. They're to pump up the drama.

EVERYTHING is ovrdone in a TV show. That's the whole point. It's a drama. It's dramatic. You shouldn't take offense to it. I don't see hospital interns talking about how the show makes them out to be wierd cut-themselves cultists. There's no need to get so upset about it.

After all, why would they include it at all if they just made the character like everyone else? I don't see anyone up in arms about other ''stereotypes'', so why this?

It's TV. Don't take it to heart.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 6:10 pm

DeanFoley wrote:

Autism, disabilities and other things aren't included in TV shows to make a media message. They're to pump up the drama.

EVERYTHING is ovrdone in a TV show. That's the whole point. It's a drama. It's dramatic. You shouldn't take offense to it. I don't see hospital interns talking about how the show makes them out to be wierd cut-themselves cultists. There's no need to get so upset about it.

After all, why would they include it at all if they just made the character like everyone else? I don't see anyone up in arms about other ''stereotypes'', so why this?

I doubt nobody would be up in arms if they portrayed a Black person as an extreme stereotype on a show.

notbrianna
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Dec 2008, 8:43 pm

Aspie4u wrote:
I think the way she portray an Aspie is ridicule and not even realistic.

I agree. She's like Rainman with a medicle degree.

westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2008, 12:33 am

DeanFoley wrote:

In a perfect world, you'd be absolutely correct. And you're right, it IS just TV. However, we do NOT live in a perfect, idealistic world and too many people get their information and understanding of too many conditions and subjects mainly from tv, including fictional shows. The portrayal of subjects and individuals on tv has a major impact on cultural views and understandings of those subjects and people. This has been shown time and time again.

So, while people should NOT take tv too seriously and should not get their impressions of conditions and the individuals who have them from tv, the sad reality is that they DO. We often tend to forget that, since we know so much about AS/ASD and we live it every day and are often surrounded by those who know more about it than the average person, that most people in the general culture still do not really know or understand that much at all about Asperger's and ASD. And the portrayals by these shows, including Grey's and the horrible and grossly inaccurate portrayals on those damned Law and Order shows, really do damage in that respect. I resent these mis-portrayals and the damage that they do to people like my teenage aspie son, who is a wonderful, fascinating, intelligent, caring young man. FAAAS, Autism Squeaks and their ilk already do more than enough real-world damage daily, we don't need more of it on popular tv shows.

Life is not about waiting out storms, but learning to dance in the rain-Anonymous