Selectively breeding animals to give them human intelligence

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2009, 8:41 am

Aren't people like animals enough as it is. Driven by your instincts - I hardly see how that is going to help anyone.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2009, 9:05 am

BellaDonna wrote:
Aren't people like animals enough as it is. Driven by your instincts - I hardly see how that is going to help anyone.

People are not like animals - they are animals. Homo sapiens sapiens, kingdom Animalia.

One of our animal instincts seems now to be altruism - contrary to what used to be believed. I.e. we are driven by our animal instincts to help everyone.

Actually, I'm not sure whom you were addressing with your remark.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2009, 9:31 am

lau wrote:
BellaDonna wrote:

People are not like animals - they are animals. Homo sapiens sapiens, kingdom Animalia.

One of our animal instincts seems now to be altruism - contrary to what used to be believed. I.e. we are driven by our animal instincts to help everyone.

Actually, I'm not sure whom you were addressing with your remark.

I just skipped over it. I may have missed the point.

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2009, 11:55 pm

lau wrote:
mixtapebooty wrote:

mixtapebooty wrote:
You can't breed intelligence faster than the breed can evolve it's own intelligence.

Erm... see above. The whole point of selective breeding is to improve on the rate that the desired traits might occur naturally (if they did so at all).

Ok, look. There are different claims that we can both make about evolution. My statement refers to the evolutionary theory of a new species from selective breeding, hence we are refering to "human intelligence" in animals, not just pre existing traits within a specific breed. If the idea is to make a breed more "human" than we are talking about much more than selective breeding to evolve trait distribution more efficiently than natural selection and genetic drift would allow it to occur. My point is that it would take evolving a new species for animals to become for better or worse, capable of "human intelligence", and I'm not aware that selective breeding alone can accomplish this. However, you can evolve a breed selectively to inherit the best traits that already exist within the breed subset, a bio evolutionary process. However, it is unknown (for this hypothetical experiment) as to whether there will not be complications that set even the bio evolutionary process back in time, or devolve a subgroup within the experiment, i.e. new mutations, disorders, disabilities with negative effects. There also seems to be evidence that no matter how superb the genes are in selective breeding, that in animals with multiple offspring or litters, the female gives birth to a range of the dominant gene distribution amongst the litter. For instance, dogs and wolves typically have litters in which the pups aren't equal no matter how distinct the bloodline traits are that have been handed down through the parents. So, if you are selectively breeding dogs, then you will still have the weaker members of the breed population, and that will also set back the speed of evolving the breed even if you don't allow those weaker members to mate. This isn't proof that it can't be done, but in my opinion it would take genetic engineering alongside rigorous selective breeding in order to get the best example that a species can offer with pre existing traits of any particular breed. If you want to start cross species genetic mutations in order to breed animals with all the learning capabilities that human beings have, or in other words, genetically hybrid human brains, then be my guest, but this isn't an example of evolution (theory) either.

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2009, 5:59 am

garyww wrote:
Breeding humans for human intelligence. Now that would be something worth doing.

Gary, women can't breed with each other... zing. (for Gary's eyes only)

lau
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 9:03 am

mixtapebooty wrote:
lau wrote:
mixtapebooty wrote:
You can't breed intelligence faster than the breed can evolve it's own intelligence.

Erm... see above. [which was where I mentioned the sheepdog] The whole point of selective breeding is to improve on the rate that the desired traits might occur naturally (if they did so at all).
... This isn't proof that it can't be done, but ...

Thank you for agreeing with me: that your original statement was somewhat too dogmatic.

We have bred animals for intelligence.

No one offers a qualitative difference between "intelligence" and "human intelligence". So far as I can see, that is just a quantitative difference.

Therefore, in answer to the OP's question, re the thread title, "Would it be possible?" I will still say yes - based on the existing evidence.

As to how long it would take, to obtain the result merely by selective breeding, I wouldn't like to guess. We've rather taken our time, breeding dogs for such things. However, it would certainly occurs far quicker that non-selective breeding.

Speeding the process by direct genetic manipulation? On the current level of knowledge, I doubt it. I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone has identified even one "intelligence" gene yet.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 9:19 am

lau wrote:

Speeding the process by direct genetic manipulation? On the current level of knowledge, I doubt it. I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone has identified even one "intelligence" gene yet.

It is unlikely that there is a single gene for intelligence. When human type intelligence emerged it also lead to a different style of living which was propagate by cultural means.

ruveyn

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 10:07 am

ruveyn wrote:
lau wrote:

It is unlikely that there is a single gene for intelligence. When human type intelligence emerged it also lead to a different style of living which was propagate by cultural means.

ruveyn

human intelligence 'emerged' THROUGH cultural means.

Merle

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2009, 10:40 pm

I can't wait for chimps and gorillas to start building little villages out of sticks and stone houses.