Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 6:35 pm

Bataar wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
Bataar wrote:
I'm a practicing Catholic and try to follow the all the Church's teachings.

all of them?! that must be tough :wink:
The Bible says it will be tough :)

good thing I'm not Catholic anymore :wink:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 7:32 pm

SamAckary wrote:
Slowmutant, have you ever considered deism? I am an atheist with slight touches of it, I would readily believe in a god who was merely one of many species, who perhaps created our world and possibly us or set off evolution but then either left or died and perhaps in the universe there is both a combonation of intelligent design by superior aliens using science and also natural evolution, that's a theory I particularly find both logical and possible rather than god made everything, god didn't need to be made, god always existed.

I'm a Christian.

RarePegs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2008, 7:33 pm

My church background was in Methodism but I've been an organist in the Church of Ireland for many years now. It is Anglican ie a sister church of the Church of England.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 10:49 pm

roman catholic. the one true faith.
(i have been richly rewarded,)

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 11:17 pm

nightbender wrote:

Why is your faith true? What makes it any more true than any other faith?

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 11:20 pm

z0rp wrote:
nightbender wrote:

i have seen the Arch-Angel Micheal

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 5:57 am

LuckyBunny wrote:
Mine has plenty of history. Beginning life as Christian, I realised at 10 that all of the times I'd laughed at the religion were actually an indication I didn't belong.

So I began to see myself as an Atheist. At 23, I began exploring religion, and read a few books. That's when I discovered Buddhism, and liked it, so I became Buddhist. Theravada, to be more accurate.

However, it was not long before I became a regular on Yahoo! Answers, and settled into the Religion and Spirituality board on there. My mind was blown open to the sheer diversity of world religions, and with that I quickly made some close friends out of the almost 200 fans of my posts.

All of the agreements with my own opinions had their effect on me also. With my newly opened mind, I could see that I didn't fit Buddhism so much as it being a tiny part of my religious position. There were so many more, some more closely matching me, some just complimenting others.

By mid April 2008, at the age of 24, my religious self-description was lengthy.
Atheist/agnostic Pantheist Theravadin Buddhist, with heavy Pagan and Wiccan leanings.

This was too much, so I decided to give myself a clear, single definition. I stripped it all down, and fitted my various beliefs together, working out what goes well and where incompatible beliefs can still coexist. By the time I'd finished, I had my very own religion.

But still it wasn't over. Unsatisfied with a certain 'closedness' I added in a potential for others, no matter their beliefs, to find mine a comfortable religion to either befriend or become.

Pikanism was born!!

In many references on Yahoo! Answers, I have often described it, to praise from many sides. Some have compared it to Eclectic Wicca, given that the second of 3 'Life Lights' echoes something on the CUEW website. Also Taoism has been hinted. For the most part, it has been accepted and welcomed on Y!A.

((((hugs))))

~Loving Light~

Thank you for this post. My journey/pilgrimage has in some ways been almost the reverse of yours, begining with a syncretistic amalgamation of Christianity and Buddhism, through an interest in various pagan mythologies (e.g. Classical, i.e. Greco-Roman; Celtic and Norse) as well as the history of philosophy while continuing to read the Scriptures and attend Church; for a time I entered a state of apathy and lukewarmness, just going through the motions; at one time giving serious thought to Islam and Marxism - if that I have been redeemed is due to the Grace of God the Compassionate the Merciful, (yes I know these are Qur'anic titles; I hope Ragtime will not be so heretical as to deny that they rightfully pertain to the God of Abraham and Isaac and Jacob; one might as well join Christopher Hitchens in denying that God is great simply because of Muslims chanting "Allah-u-Akbar!") to whom be all praise, Amen!

Fantasy novels, historical novels and some science fiction have influenced me powerfully.

On a darker note, at an appalling young age I began to form an elaborate fantasy centring around a figure who was at first simply the Enchantress or the Nymphs but subsequently revealed herself to be the succubus Lilith, who had also impersonated various fertility goddesses throughout human history, more recently tending like most demons in modern times to work anonymously and unseen.

Last edited by AlexandertheSolitary on 27 Nov 2008, 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 6:01 am

nightbender wrote:
z0rp wrote:
nightbender wrote:

Who is also acknowledged as an Archangel by Jews, Muslims and Protestants. What did you discuss, if anything?

A Jesuit friend of mine describes we Anglicans as "reformed" Catholics, an apt description.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 12:34 pm

AlexandertheSolitary wrote:
nightbender wrote:
z0rp wrote:
nightbender wrote:

Who is also acknowledged as an Archangel by Jews, Muslims and Protestants. What did you discuss, if anything?

A Jesuit friend of mine describes we Anglicans as "reformed" Catholics, an apt description.

thats between me and him

SamAckary
Toucan
Toucan

27 Nov 2008, 1:49 pm

slowmutant wrote:
SamAckary wrote:
Slowmutant, have you ever considered deism? I am an atheist with slight touches of it, I would readily believe in a god who was merely one of many species, who perhaps created our world and possibly us or set off evolution but then either left or died and perhaps in the universe there is both a combonation of intelligent design by superior aliens using science and also natural evolution, that's a theory I particularly find both logical and possible rather than god made everything, god didn't need to be made, god always existed.

I'm a Christian.

Yeah I realised that but some of the stuff you were saying sounded a bit deist, thats all

DarthMaxeuis
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2008, 3:57 am

I was catholic until my 12 years old. My parents taught me the holy book, and made me go to special "bible" lessons.
I realised when I was 12 the atrocity of extremism, when my Grand-Pa disappeared in a terrorists' attack.
I also read numerous philosophy and Marxists books, lot of them were saying :[quote=Philosophy books]Religion is meant to explain phenomena that people don't understand by leading those to a God-like Entity.[/quote]. Many philosophers were atheists : Socrates was condemned to drink a poison, because he was suspected not to believe in gods and to corrupt the young adults by his philosophy.
So, Religion in my mind is a believe to explain mysterious phenomena, that science can resolve in a true way.
I believe that Science can explain all mysteries in a true way, just let it the time.
Nevertheless, I respect all Monotheists and Polytheists believes.

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 1:57 am

The "OFF" position.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 10:40 am

My religious history is remarkably similar to the OP's, actually. I was born and raised an Anglican, as my grandparents were very religious and my grandad was a vicar. I became an Atheist at a very young age, around eight years old probably. Then two years ago I was a Buddhist.

Recently, I decided against religious labels, so now I believe in different things without having to be any particular faith. I believe in a lot of things (just not the stupid things like Santa and the Easter Bunny).

y es como un semestre"

Accelerator
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2008, 2:10 pm

slowmutant wrote:
SamAckary wrote:

I'm a Christian.

Where's your mysterious door gone..?

I read a story once about doors that appear and disappear..

And your door reminded me of this story..

Even more so.. now it's gone.

I'm wondering.. was it the entrance to the magic threatre..?

Now.. I will never know..:-(

Unless it mysteriously appears again.

---

“…So that’s it, thought I. They’ve disfigured this good old wall with an electric sign. Meanwhile I deciphered one or two of the letters as they appeared again for an instant; but they were hard to read even by guess work, for they came with very irregular spaces between them and very faintly, and then abruptly vanished.

Whoever hoped for any result from a display like that was not very smart. He was a Steppenwolf, poor fellow. Why have his letters playing on this old wall in the darkest alley of the Old Town on a wet night with not a soul passing by, and why were they so fleeting, so fitful and illegible? But wait, at last I succeeded in catching several words on end. They were:

MAGIC THEATER - ENTRANCE NOT FOR EVERYBODY

I tried to open the door, but the heavy old latch would not stir. The display too was over. It had suddenly ceased, sadly convinced of its uselessness.

I took a few steps back, landing deep into the mud, but no more letters came. The display was over. For a long time I stood waiting in the mud, but in vain.

Then, when I had given up and gone back to the alley, a few colored letters were dropped here and there, reflected on the asphalt in front of me. I read:

FOR MADMEN ONLY!

-

Steppenwolf - Hermann Hesse

-

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 3:41 pm

nightbender wrote:
AlexandertheSolitary wrote:
nightbender wrote:
z0rp wrote:
nightbender wrote:

thats between me and him

Forgive my impertinence

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 2:05 am

Christian, non-denominational