Should I consider going into philosophy or metaphysics?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Goose
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Nov 2008, 1:24 pm

I sucessfully completed my Master Degree in Theology!! !

And, as a result-I am able to join a local Church, be a part of a religious Order, and I am building a career as a freelance Professional Writer, using Amazon.com, Kindle. I am able to survive-somewhat, with social securiry and a housing vouncher, which has given me space to presue my dreams.

But most importantly, studying theology helped build my sense of self, and I learned necessuary social skills in the process. One of my most important tasks as an Aspie, was to develop a sense of self. That was one of my greatest forms of resistance to neurotypicalism and living life by someone else's exspectation. Also, in theological school, I learned to accept my Asperger's as an essential part of who I am.

And, in terms of "marketablity"-Been there, done that!! ! It doesn't work!! ! I started-out in Biology, but I couldn't hack cheminstry and I found that all the questions I wanted to deal with were out of the scope of my interests, and that Biology was not very accepting of "autistic science."

I ended up changing my major to Liberal Studies, with a concentration in Biology, Envionmental Studies, and Conflict Analysis/Dispute Resolution, taking courses useful and relavant to my interests, and absolutely excelled. Graduating Cum Laude. I also absolutely excelled in theology-doing a self-designed program and a thesis.

Also, know that a BA in philosophy is a skills transferable degree, meaning in a philosophy degree, you would learn skills, e.g. writing and critical thinking, etc. which are transferable to other careers, including the business world and law. You would still get this training and formation, even if you can't find work in this area forsay as a philosopher.

Also, know if you want to be a professional philosophier, you would need to go to graduate school, most likely a Ph.D., and there you can specialize in metaphysics. A Ph.D. will prepare you to teach at a college or university, and do research and writing in this area, as well as professional involvement in various philosophy communities.

Some things also to consider before making this decision-

1. Can you hack forgien languages-both modern and ancient? Not every program as a langauge requirement. I managed to get through both undergraduage and a master's program, without a forgien langauge. But some due-particularly at the doctoral level.

2. Can you argue objectively, impersonaly, and abstractly, using the Socratic Method? I struggled with this-the theology program which I was in-relied less on the Socratic Method.

3. How well do you do with critism, having your ideas challanged or receiving criticism for your ideas, and having to defend your opinions, with supports and evidence, as well as having to take arguments which you strongly disagree with seriously? This was always a struggle for me-emotionally. But, my Master program, did less of this, which worked out fine with me.

4. Do you struggle with perfectionism issues? I have run into tension over this issue.

5. How are you doing with writing nonfiction acedemic writing in school or other places? You will need to write arguments, and respond to arguments in a nuienced, logical, objective manor.

Also, have you considered an interdisciplinary feild, which could lead to a career, but will expose you to a wide variety of ideas and perspectives on how the world works, e.g. environmental studies, peace studies/conflict resolution, women/gender studies, intercultural studies, etc.

Also, have you considered a practical minor or a dual major-one with a feild of your interest, and one toward a career?

Also, you can join a Philosophy Club in college too.

It's not all or nothing!! !

Finally, I would say, go for it!! ! I wish you the best!! !

We need more Aspie's in this feild-God knows.

It is a very hostile feild to peoples on the spectrum, it desperately needs the voice of an Aspie. You can make a real contribution-Exciting isn't!! !

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 3:37 pm

mystyc wrote:
hah, um, yeah, great encouragement from the above posts...

What did you expect, an awards ceremony? Philosophy and Metaphysics are not exactly in high demand in the corporate environment, since one does not make profit solely on the power of positive thinking ... or even prayer.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2008, 10:13 pm

Meh, some professions involve being what most people would call "jobless," in that you won't find a place to apply for them, or any other set plan besides what you make: you just DO it, and hope you can keep it up and not wind up on the street. Take my 4-year Bachelor in Fine Arts, for example... not a corporate skill-set, and certainly not what I use for my "living."

mystyc
Toucan
Toucan

27 Nov 2008, 4:59 am

Fnord wrote:
mystyc wrote:
hah, um, yeah, great encouragement from the above posts...

What did you expect, an awards ceremony? Philosophy and Metaphysics are not exactly in high demand in the corporate environment, since one does not make profit solely on the power of positive thinking ... or even prayer.

Philosophy is often about critical thinking and the relation between ideas. When is critical thinking not useful? Philosophy manifests all the time, such as in meta-analysis *cough* *cough*. Are we not analyzing philosophy now? That in and of itself is a philosophical endeavor. You may not like it, you may not think it important, but I dare you to stop doing philosophy forever...

More likely you equate philosophy to religion. Perhaps you hold scientific theories to be the only truth. I sense your ideas are warped by a flawed model of the nature of ideas.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 5:12 am

"Philosophy" is a huge subject which encompasses a very broad variety of attitudes. If you're expecting one line of approach you're going to be disappointed.

I may even enter philosophy (in particular logic) at a graduate level, but my undergraduate degree will be in mathematics. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that doing mathematics at undergraduate level was much better for me than philosophy, where I don't think I could hack regularly coming up with tightly-written persuasive essays on stances I don't believe in or even areas I'm not interested in. But of course this is all about me, not necessarily what would be best for you.

I suggest you talk to people in philosophy as an academic discipline or find some undergraduate philosophy prospectus to get an idea of what you'd be in for studying philosophy at undergraduate level.

donhz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2008, 3:40 pm

protest_the_hero wrote:
I was thinking of taking philosophy next year (grade 11) and considering studying for a career in philosophy or metaphysics or something along the lines of how the world really works. I've been fascinated by these things for years. Any advice from you older and wiser folk? :shrug:

Definitely take the course and see how you like it. A least you'll learn what philosophy is and how it relates to other subjects.

It may be tough to make a living at unless you want to be a philosophy professor in a university. Lots of competition for limited jobs in that I'd guess. But corporations hire philosophy majors to deal with bioethics and things like that, which is a subcategory of philosophy.

Metaphysics is usually a subcategory of theology I think, though there is a direct link between philosophy and theology. Both seek understanding about life, the universe and everything.

I guess I would say don't make a decision about what you want to do too early. Explore as many different options as you can.

V001
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2008, 4:21 pm

You can read lots of books about the subjects. That and find someone nearby who wants to talk about it. If anything a class about the subject will limit you too much think bigger. Only thing the class might be good for is to find someone to debate them out with. Iam of the realist school of thought look it up. The points others make of the usefulness are vaild. Do it in your spare time life is too short to navel gaze too much heeh