Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 9:37 am

Warsie wrote:
have to lol as he's married and has been married since 2004. He MET HIS WIFE ON AN RPG SITE IN 1999! Pics have been posted of this.

By isolated, I don't mean physically, I mean psychologically and emotionally, so that you are in a constant state of feeling different than others, somewhat inferior to them, not a part of their vast "groupthink", at odds with them, never being able to live up to their exptections of you, in near constant state of dismay and agitation over these realiziations. Never feeling like you are ever going to get ahead in life.
You can be isolated and married. Maybe he isn't that close to his wife emotionally and they don't connect well? It wouldn't surprise me.
You can be married and still have problems socializing at work, when you are expected to act a certain way, take orders, put up with the attitudes of others. You can still have a bad attitude and find it difficult to change this so everyone says you have a bad attitude and you bring out the worst in them. I think severity of traits affects these areas.
All these pressures.
On the bright side, the guy can be an inspiration to everyone with AS who is looking for love and a lifelong partner. If this guy can find his soulmate, can't anyone?

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2008, 10:44 am

As one of the first posters stated as to what is average on the spectrum? Classic autism? I was lucky in school because I was not made fun of for being the way I was---heck, I didn't even know what was wrong with me. Asperger's as a diagnostic term wasn't around in the U.S. then. My father taught in my school and the students knew not to do things to me. And I was also the tallest one in my class, and the second oldest in my class. So in school, I escaped many of the problems with peers that others have had to deal with. This helped make me naive to the problems most face with autism. Then, as I matured, the realization that something was different about me became increasingly pronounced to me. For years I searched for who I was. When I was diagnosed with Asperger's, I was relieved. I now knew there were many like me. So now I read about autism and become so aware of the prejudices facing us. From what I have seen, many people believe us to not have emotions---so false---we have plenty of emotion. Many people think we stay locked up in some sort of daydream, unaware of the world around us---again false. Though I do daydream, I know it is not reality, and I definitely can function in the so-called real world. So from what I have seen, most of the stereotyping/prejudices falls into a misunderstanding of how autistic people think, feel, and behave. After I announced to a fellow teacher at my school that I had Asperger's and was on the autism spectrum, she said, "I can't believe that, I mean you had friends and did well in school." In her mind, an autistic spectrum person should be a total loner and do terrible in school. Then, when I was doing a special musical service for my church, I gave testimony to the things in life I had overcome---and I related the story of being on the spectrum of autism. A week later, I was talking to one of our church people and related again my Asperger's/autism and they said, "You mean you were serious about that?" To me this shows that most people think that autistic people should not do well in life (they are suppose to fail). How wrong can they be?