Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2008, 5:20 am

Anniemaniac wrote:
Animaniacs has by far caused the worst reaction in me from a dying obsession. I've never gotten so depressed over an obsession changing before as I have with the Animaniacs, and I'm still upset that I'm no longer obsessed. I WISH I could go back to a few years ago when Animaniacs was basically my life.

Theres always Freakazoid!, ill never forget that show :)

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 2:46 pm

:idea: I am very interested in science which I have been interested since I was a teenager and have a substantial knowledge of organic chemistry. I also enjoy watching Star Trek: The Next Generation as I am a bit of a trekkie :idea:

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 2:55 pm

in my case obsessions are a bit like falling in love- they hardly ever last longer than 3 months.

AsperGirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Nov 2008, 4:33 pm

actually I changed every 3 to 5 years but lately have been more rapid but cycling thru things I had done before. So I have intense bursts of interest that last about 3 to 6 months. It's like I revisit things I enjoyed doing at least once in the past but at a manic level of all consuming focus. I spent about 3 years systemizing social behavior cognitive theories. But then lately I spent about 6 mo totally focused on the stock market, absorbed in research & streaming tickers all day every day and not even eating when the market was open. Then I blogged about the election for about 18 hours a day every day. Most recently I've been cooking world cuisines, reading cookbooks, watching videos and ordering special equipment & spices. I just got a mail order delivery yesterday for some Iranian saffron and dried porcini mushrooms. I spent about 2 weeks last month doing nothing but studying the basics of sushi cuisine. It seems to me that the rapid cycling through different special interests that I've been experiencing this year depends on how deep the satsfaction is. The less deep the satisfaction, the quicker I cycle. I feel like I become more difficult to satsfy as I get older. I should really do a real dissertation or something. Like solve some math problem or something very much more intellectually complex and challenging.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 5:40 pm

AsperGirl wrote:
It seems to me that the rapid cycling through different special interests that I've been experiencing this year depends on how deep the satsfaction is. The less deep the satisfaction, the quicker I cycle. I feel like I become more difficult to satsfy as I get older. I should really do a real dissertation or something. Like solve some math problem or something very much more intellectually complex and challenging.

It's good to push the envelope like that. My obsessiveness soon vanishes if I find myself just repeating the same exercise without any advancement. I'm kind of addicted to amazing myself with that I can do, the buzz lasts only a short time. Never wanted it that way, I always felt life should be about just getting as comfortable as possible. :?