Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 2:32 pm

Also a creative AS here - I write fiction; short stories (just hobby, not published).

It's perhaps interesting that I find writing thoughts and description easy, but dialogue and action extremely difficult.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 3:14 pm

I have very abstract thoughts about concrete. Does that count?

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 4:00 pm

criss wrote:

If you check out my website at www.chrisgoodchild.com you will get the link to my book, there are some small reviews on my site already, but the exact date of the launch is not known yet, although it will be sometime in February.

Go well.

Yes, I´d like to read it! Sounds pretty cool.

So you teach Alexander technique?! I´m a dance teacher now, and I used to be a professional dancer- (not the same thing, I know, but sort of in a similar field of interest. I learned about the Alexander technique through my exposure to dance, though I haven´t actually done it myself). I´m also very interested in spirituality.

Looking forward to reading your book!

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 4:02 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
I have very abstract thoughts about concrete. Does that count?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2008, 7:02 pm

I use similes, analogies and metaphors alot and it helps people understand whatever I'm explaining easier than if I didn't use those things.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 7:13 pm

b9 wrote:
my "metaphors" (i will use that word because it is shorter than "conceptual reconstructions) are mainly simple concrete replications of my notion using analogy in some primal way i do not understand.

So your metaphors are a semantic mapping that a kind of relational database where you have concrete representations stored in association with your systematic thoughts (thoughts about a system you have been interested in). But you're not generally "hyper metaphoric" in the sense that you take information from others and craft compelling metaphors for them on the fly. Is that it?

criss
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 3:08 am

Was curious..................I have been pondering recently at how very astute I am with re facial recognition. I think for an aspie I have very advanced skills in understanding and reading faces, and I was wondering if this might have something to do with the artist/poet in me, and that because 'my special interest' has always been aesthetics, I have has quite a head start over many other aspies in this respect.

More than abstract or visual, I feel I am an aesthetic thinker.

Does this resonate with others?

Chris.

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Nov 2008, 4:22 am

id like to think i have abstarct thinking but i doubt it. also my memory is getting WORSE. ! :x

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 8:14 am

ephemerella wrote:
b9 wrote:
my "metaphors" (i will use that word because it is shorter than "conceptual reconstructions) are mainly simple concrete replications of my notion using analogy in some primal way i do not understand.

So your metaphors are a semantic mapping that a kind of relational database where you have concrete representations stored in association with your systematic thoughts (thoughts about a system you have been interested in). But you're not generally "hyper metaphoric" in the sense that you take information from others and craft compelling metaphors for them on the fly. Is that it?

yes. that was very well covered. the "relational database" is all my knowledge about concrete things. and when i encounter something that is mysterious and impossible to rationalize (like human interactions) then i resort to building facsimiles in a notional sense from these elements.

i can not take information from others much at all, much less "metaphorize" (coinage? (the emphasis is on the "taph")) what they are thinking. i am not hyper metphoric in any artistic, and moreover, "affective" way. my metaphors are for me to understand and not for artistic display to others.

another example of how i use "reverse metaphor" to think in a conversation:

i was in a conversation with a buddhist monk and he was going on about "stilling the mind" and meditation. he said that i was too "mental" and analyzed things too much. he said i was captive to my mind.
i said that it was moot how we expend our energies in our 80 years, and he can do it sitting on a rock, and i can do it inspecting the rock on which he sits.

he said that that statement was just another example of my "little mind running around in circles".

i asked "what is wrong with circles? i like watching spinning things so my mind must like to go in circles"

he told me that that was not the point, but the point is that if i stop going in circles, i can go in a straight line to my spiritual destination.

well what if my spiritual destination is inside me? then i must go in arcs to always return to me if i venture out from me.

he said my spiritual destination is not in "me", as the ego dissolves....etc etc etc (i lost understanding of him there).

so i asked him "do you think anyone does not ever get to their spiritual destination ?"
and he said that every soul will eventually arrive there.
i asked "do you think time ends ? because if you do then you must realize some will not have got there by then"
he said time never ends (which i believe too but i did not think to tell him at the time).

so what is the problem then? it does not matter what a spiralled path i take through time if i arrive in the same place as him finally. i mean.... he sped through his life without looking left or right, and the tracks he left are just straight lines from when he became a buddhist to his death.

my tracks will be like wild "spin outs" and "donuts" (circular skid patterns) all across the terrain of my life's experience, and i will still get where he is going to in the ultimate end. what an added bonus!

i started to smirk at him and he became cranky (most unbecoming for a peaceful monk). i thought in my mind of a stupid song i do not like. i imagined arriving at the "spiritual destination" a long time after him and singing "i been every where man...i been everywhere..." while he is looking annoyed that he never got out of his spiritual "vehicle" and looked around while he could with his mind.

so i left not feeling disappointed at my feeble grasp of philosophical ideas.
i left happy that i had a feeble "circuit diagram" of how buddhists think.

i know i am probably in the wrong with that buddhist in a way that may make smart people cringe, but i can not perceive it, so i lose no sleep over it.

i must add that this man seemed to have an ego problem in that he thought he was superior to most. if he had been like the dali lama then...

i wonder if llama tastes good served with dhal? if there was too much dhal it would be a very "dhaley llama". i may think that thought if i was introduced reverently to him at a sombre occasion and start to smirk, so i think i have no hope of being touched by any angels.