Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Aegis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Nov 2008, 8:36 am

Ever since I was a little kid, I've always been different from everybody else. I've always wanted friends, but it's kinda like I think on a different wavelength from everyone else. I get these strong, random interests in subjects that nobody else would ever care about. I mean, there was a six-month period where I was completely obsessed with learning about theology. When I try to talk to others about it though, it seems to weird them out.

Anyway, a friend of my father said that I should get checked out for Asperger's, since I apparently possess some of the symptoms. My mom won't take me to the doctor though, and I would like some advice from people who are experienced with the condition. I don't want to be "treated", I just want to know if this is why I am the way that I am.

Thanks.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 8:39 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Gainer

25 Nov 2008, 10:10 am

welcome to wp

and yeah, read some more on other discussions and see for yourself but sound about right

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2008, 10:15 am

Aspies don't need treatment, per se. We are different in that we have certain shared characteristics. You can go online and find lists of them.

Special interests are certainly a part of ASD. As is stimming (engaging in a repetitive behaviour, motion, or activity), a sensitivity to light, touch, odours and other stimuli. Often an inability to look people in the eye. A logical way of thinking that often makes us look robotic. Etc...etc...

I studied human communications, psychology and body language in order to learn how to interact with other people. as I was deficit in these areas.

Having AS doesn't mean that you can't accomplish things, as a matter of fact, Einstein was thought to be an Aspie.

Read up on it, you'll often get a sense of whether you fit the characteristics. We may be different, but there are many like us.

Good luck.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 10:20 am

Aegis wrote:
I've always wanted friends, but it's kinda like I think on a different wavelength from everyone else.

People with AS usually want to make friends but most of them have some problems regarding relationships and end up frustrated. That is because we have several problems related to communication which often hinder our abitlity to make friends and establish relationships. Also there are neurological differences between people with AS and NT´s so that we see the world in a whole different way. During our lifetime we tend to develop "coping mechanisms" that is mechanisms to understand the social norms and customs so that we can navigate better through the social world. If I were to give you an adice I would tell you to tell your problems to a friend you trust (if you´re not ashamed of doing so) and ask him for help to work out your relationships with other people.

Quote:
I get these strong, random interests in subjects that nobody else would ever cares about. I mean, there was a six-month period where I was completely obsessed with learning about theology. When I try to talk to others about it though, it seems to weird them out.

Concerning your "random interests in subjects that nobody else care about", I´m pretty sure there are other people in the world who are also interested in theology even though none of your close friends or relatives might be. Try searching for a "study group" where you can study/discuss theology with other people you feel comfortable with.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 10:45 am

You are 15 years old...have you considered talking with your school guidance counselor who is in the best position to help you
sort out your thoughts and feelings?

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 12:11 pm

I like you already!
Just yesterday at a luncheon, I started a monologue about education in Rwanda, and the people around me were interested, and as I was about to move on to why Rwanda is switching from French to English as their official language, I remembered to stop! I passed the conversational ball to someone else, and we ended up talking about our children and how much we like peanut butter. I didn't glaze anyone's eyes this time. Yeah!

misfit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2008, 1:17 pm

Quote:
Ever since I was a little kid, I've always been different from everybody else. I've always wanted friends, but it's kinda like I think on a different wavelength from everyone else. I get these strong, random interests in subjects that nobody else would ever care about. I mean, there was a six-month period where I was completely obsessed with learning about theology. When I try to talk to others about it though, it seems to weird them out.

I think you have come to the right place. I see myself, more years ago than I care to admit, in your words. I don;t think there is any treatment for AS, and none needed, what we need to learn is how to deal with a world where we are square pegs in round holes. It's also a relief to find something that explains one's alien-ness.

Yes, I can see that theology would weird people out! Any talk of God or religion runs the risk of going down like a lead balloon, or else getting others to pounce and try to make you toe their own theological line. I still get weird and wonderful interests. I either seek out like-minded peeps or, more usually, just read everything I can get my hands on about it, faff about online looking for websites of interest, and Keep Quiet about it!

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 2:48 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet, If you want my advice you should be insistant on getting a diagnosis.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2008, 3:07 pm

You are in an interesting situation. I believe you want to know if you have Asperger's or not. But yet your mom does not want you to make an appointment. To be honest, by looking at the criteria for Asperger's which you can easily find online, you should be able to make a fairly accurate determination as to whether or not you have it. Be warned though, there are other things that can look like Asperger's. And there are several things that can coexist with Asperger's such as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder, etc. Also, being gifted can look like Asperger's, and a person can be both gifted and have Asperger's. There really is no treatment for Asperger's. Experts can offer coaching skills to help us cope with social issues, etc. The main reason I wanted to know was so I could better know who I was. I always knew I was different. And I felt like I was the only person in the world like me. Now I know there are many like me. And for me, I feel like I have met a new family in the WrongPlanet. But as you can see, there are many people in here who list Asperger's Undiagnosed and they are satisfied. Perhaps that will work for you until which time you can get a formal diagnosis. The formal diagnosis hasn't changed me---except that I know for sure what I already knew---I have Asperger's. Good luck and welcome to our family.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2008, 7:30 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 7:51 pm

Das Tachno Viking embraces you!

JetLag
Veteran