Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

noahveil23
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Nov 2008, 5:12 am

Hello Microban. Adderall is basically amphetamine, as has been pointed out. But here is a good tip. Read all of the inserts on any medication you are given. Go online and look it up. Find out everything you can from every source you can. I had a doctor give me prozac and tell me it didn't have any interactions with other drugs, and not really dangerous. That was just not true. If I hadn't read the insert I might have wound up in a hospital or worse. Prozac plus saint john's wort is very dangerous. Not typically dangerous is not the same as not dangerous at all. I have been prescribed a number of psycho-active drugs, and they are all different, and work differently in different people.

Long story short. Adderall does feel good. And you build up a tolerance very quickly (everyone does, practically). Then you need more. The come-down from any kind of amphetamine is impossible to distinguish from severe depression. Subjectively it feels JUST LIKE major depression. If you take this for any length of time (60-90 days for example) you should be aware of this. The Brain is a slippery fish. Don't let it get away from you. Learn to distinguish, if you can, between your feelings and what is "real". Be careful with anything that effects your brain function. That "good" feeling needs to be paid attention to, because if it turns into a bad which requires that you get more Adderall quick, well that is the very definition of addiction, or the less politically charged version, Chemically-dependent.

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2008, 6:19 am

I got prescribed adderall about a year ago. In the beginning i felt skeptical of if it was actually working or not, i believe it did for few weeks but after that no more. The whole "Feeling like s**t and everything seems oh so damn pointless" after effect while quitting sure sucked. Im happy i got out of it early, can only imagine what some people are going through trying to get off of it after a few months, or even years.

But hey, it didn't work for me but it works for some people, let me not be the judge.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 8:26 am

Maybe someone can give me a little info about this. I was on Adderall back in 2005. I don't remember a whole lot, though I do remember that it made me concentrate, less hyper, and made me want to beat the s**t out of anyone that was even in the same room as me. I've read a LOT of info on the internet since then, and found out how incredibly toxic these drugs are for kids. Needless to say, not only have I been scared to death, but also extremely Anti-Drug. However, as I get a little old and more mature (I hope), I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to try something (Adderall, Ritalin, whatever) at a very low dose just so I can get through the day. ideas?

Sorry to hijack your thread. :)

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 4:31 pm

gramirez wrote:
Maybe someone can give me a little info about this. I was on Adderall back in 2005. I don't remember a whole lot, though I do remember that it made me concentrate, less hyper, and made me want to beat the sh** out of anyone that was even in the same room as me. I've read a LOT of info on the internet since then, and found out how incredibly toxic these drugs are for kids. Needless to say, not only have I been scared to death, but also extremely Anti-Drug. However, as I get a little old and more mature (I hope), I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to try something (Adderall, Ritalin, whatever) at a very low dose just so I can get through the day. ideas?

You just made your case that these drugs are not good for you and answered your own question so you should stay off them. Many people "get through the day" with coffee or tea.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 2:23 am

Microban wrote:
In October, I received a diagnosis for Asperger's Syndrome. I have been going to counceling, but have never taken any type of medication. In fact, when the idea came up I was completely against it. This is my first day on it, and I am thinking so much more clearly. I feel like my synapses are more widespread, and I am not only thinking about what I am interested in all of the time. I can actually work on my school work without feeling the urge to read or watch something interesting about what I'm obsessed with. Furthermore, my thinking speed has greatly increased, and it doesn't take nearly as long to access thoughts that are in a different realm of comprehension.

Really, I am feeling so much better. Although, I do have a slight headache, I also get the same feeling when I'm hyperfocued. If anyone hasn't tried a medication such as this one, I would strongly urge you to give it a try. Even a 10MG dose is working wounders, it's much more than I could ever do on my own. Currently, I'm making a very fast transition between doing schoolwork, and writing this simple forum post. Whereas when I'm not taking this medication, I would be stuck on WP (Or something else that I had decided to get distracted by) for an extended period of time without realizing it.

Is anyone else taking any type of medication that is actually helping them?

---

Caffeine, for me, works better than Adderall for my ADHD Inattentive. Caffeine is not as strong as Adderall. Caffeine is sold as a FDA approved alertness aid, Coffee/caffeine (not a cure) is a very old medicine. - pgd

mra1200
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2010, 3:08 am

um, OK. i'm a recovering alcoholic, so one could say i might have a tendency towards addictive behaviour, but i haven't had a problem with adderall one bit. i filled up my prescription in May (10mg 2x daily) and still have 1/3 of the bottle left cuz i rarely ever take it.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Jul 2010, 10:10 am

I've been on it (prescribed and taken as directed) for about 3 years, and I think it helps me a lot with my focus and my ability to get things done from A to Z. Without it, I'm all over the place, and I start things and forget to finish, or I'll fail to take an important tool with me when I go to do a job, etc etc. I take the Adderall XR capsules (30mg), which act like taking a 5mg tablet 3 times a day, as I was told. I don't feel any effect, but I do remember feeling a "high" the first few doses. I don't usually have an addiction problem, but I could imagine that anyone predisposed to addictions could have a BIG problem with Adderall. I know that when I ran out of the capsules for a few days, I felt all worn out, and like I hadn't slept in a week. By the 3rd day, I felt normal but unfocused on tasks, as I had felt before I was put on the Adderall in the first place.

My advice is to be careful as you would with any medications, and voice any worries about addiction risk to your doctor.

NOTE TO ALL: DO NOT EVER take Adderall without your doctor's orders, and never take more than you're supposed to!! !! It raises your heart rate, and your blood pressure, and can kill you outright if you have a heart problem. Your doctor is the only one who can decide if it's safe, and if so, how much you need.

Charles