Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 10:39 pm

I was just wondering what the majority of Aspies take. I'm currently on Zoloft (given to me by my mother, yes I know its illegal) and its like sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm looking for something that...I don't know, puts me into a "high" so to speak. You know that feeling you get when you're euphoric and you just don't care? I'm not looking for anything illegal, just something that would help me cope better with life. I've been extremely depressed lately due to my girlfriend and I having problems and the fact that I'm in debt, barely keeping warm at home, not having much to eat.....yeah. I was doing great financially until my girlfriend decided to screw me so I ended up having to rely on my credit cards, which then led to higher interest rates, bigger monthly payments............yeah.

I took Xanax about a year ago and that seemed to really work for certain situations, but its not something (or so I was told) that I could take everyday. Only when I needed it.

Sorry, I ramble on a lot. But please let me know what some of you guys take and whether or not it helps you cope with society and depression. Thanks.

skywatcher
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Nov 2008, 10:50 pm

Talk to a good psychiatrist and get their opinion.

I would take a guess that the zoloft is not the right family of drug for you, and you should stop taking it. You are probably on too high a dosage anyway because your Mom probably isn't just starting out taking zoloft and must have had incremental increases over the time she was taking it or has been going to a quack.

You need to probably take your own prescriptions, emphasis on the fact that it won't be just one, and you will start on them in slow increments and then will occassionally have shake ups of your regiment when things aren't working out.

Also, no, you are not supposed to feel euphoric when being on any med. That is a bad sign. It means you have both the wrong med and the wrong dosage of it.

I hope this helps.

Also, if its any help in knowing where I come from in this info, I've been diagnosed since 1998 and have been medicated since 1999.

Skywatcher

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 10:50 pm

There's no medication for AS.

I'm kind of this person that likes to stay honest. I'll never take medication without a prescription. I'd be too afraid of the side effects too. B vitamins and a good healthy diet is all I need.

Onibunny

26 Nov 2008, 12:07 am

I believe in better living with chemistry because for me it works.
I take Cellexa, and Welbuterin.
they are prescribed by my psychiatrist, you shouldn't take other people's meds, because of reactions to other things you may already take.
Example, you get hit by a car and you've been taking the wrong dose of your mother's Valium or other dopamine regulator, and the EMT doesn't know about it, he could kill you by giving you a drug that reacts poorly to what you are taking.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 12:21 am

If you forget the fact that it is illegal, I would not go taking other people's anti-depressants because of the side-effects. I've been taking Paroxetine (Paxil) for about 3-4 years now, and when you are used to taking a pill such as Paxil/Zoloft/etc, just going off of them can cause some serious side-effects (including seizures), blackouts, and just all around bouts of erratic behaviour. You really shouldn't take mood drugs without the supervision of a doctor, and your mom should really know better.

--Aldous Huxley

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 12:23 am

Zoloft, Prozac, and other SSRI antidepressants are used for anxiety and depression in ASDs; they seem to work to some extent, depending on how bad each one is.

Xanax, Valium, Rivatril, etcetera, can be used for acute anxiety in ASDs when it's at its worst (as you'll find, doing more stuff will make you more overwhelmed and anxious, and these mild tranquilizers can help when it gets overbearing).

Risperdal is used for aggressive behaviour in ASDs.

That's pretty much it for ASDs.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 12:24 am

aspirin, dayquill, nightquill,

isNullOrEmpty
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2008, 1:03 am

zoloft, paxil, lamictal all made me an emotional wreck. So now i'm trying risperdal which does seem to help me organize my thoughts a bit better.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 1:10 am

I just take topamax and keppra for my epilepsy, nothing for my AS.

...probably because I think I'd be kind of offended if a doctor said "and this will work on your AS!" *huge used car salesman grin* rather than something like a specific symptom like my lack of interest in people (which doesn't bother me, it just bothers other people) or...

If they ever find a cure for hyperacute senses of smell and hearing... please, please, PLEASE run it into my veins!