Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 3:04 pm

They're firing a lot of people at our company next week, due to the world crisis. I have a high chance of being one of them :cry:

What's it like where you are?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Nov 2008, 3:06 pm

ive been fired for about two years, but in the past i was never really worried about being let go because nobody would do the jobs i did :lol:

sanndr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2008, 3:14 pm

I got fired last monday, due to the company going bankrupt.

Another company has expressed interest in my skills, so I'm not too worried.
I just need to not this screw up :bounce:

27 Nov 2008, 3:25 pm

Our days got cut back because we aren't very busy. Our boss even said she might lay people off. So that's why I am here in Montana with my family but yet I am back on here with my brother's laptop not even spending time with my family. I have always been that way.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 3:30 pm

I've been an unemployed graduate for almost 6 months now :(

a few of my friends got fired because their companies have been denied bank loans and had to "reorganise" their administrations.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 3:32 pm

The state cut the college's budget for next year again, though we supposedly expected it so put some money aside from this year and our student attendance is up so it's looking like we should be ok. But you never know. They did cut some jobs this year, though those were administrative.

Most of the other campuses have been firing their maintenance staff and contracting out, we're basically the only campus to have our own maintenance crew. The higher ups at the campus say they want to keep us because they've contracted out before and having it in house does a better job, but like I said, you never know. Instead of hiring more employees to fill in lost positions they're going to bring in our workers from the satellite buildings on our campus and contract those buildings out. I think I'll be safe for a few years but if our economy continues it's current course I doubt I'll have this job for too many more years. Of course we plan to move to Tennessee so I wouldn't have this job for more than a few more years anyway but that's not looking to promising with the economy either, so...

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 3:41 pm

I haven't been employed for most of the year now, but thankfully I have SSDI to provide bare essentials... REALLY bare essentials... I'm getting a college education thanks to the BVR and being good at taking intelligence and aptitude tests (they would have put me at a mcJob with a job coach if I hadn't been good at it)... but I worry that, with the way people are getting laid off, there won't be enough money to go around and I won't be able to continue going to college. They aren't paying a huge amount of money, probably less than they pay per month for most people, because much of the tuition is paid by government grants; but I am costing them more than most people anyhow because most vocational rehab plans don't take four years...

If I can't get that degree, then I will probably be unemployable--I've tried many different unskilled jobs and they all stressed me out to the point that the weekend wasn't enough to recover... eventually my performance would go down the tubes and I'd quit or be fired... This college degree is very important to me because it gives me a chance to do a job in the areas that I'm good at, instead of the areas where I'm really weak. If I can get a job doing the same sorts of things that let me pass college classes, then I can probably keep it... But if there isn't enough money to go around, because people are getting fired and can't pay enough taxes to support it, then I'll be in the same trouble as the guy who gets laid off.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 4:33 pm

Our company lost the contract renewal, so I have to apply for my job with the new company. I'm good until April, but I sure better get the job, because I remember the recession of '83...

The company we contract before is laying off 7% of everything, just slowly so it doesn't make the news. They've laid off about 20,000 people since '03.

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 5:02 pm

anna-banana wrote:
I've been an unemployed graduate for almost 6 months now :(

a few of my friends got fired because their companies have been denied bank loans and had to "reorganise" their administrations.

about me... :roll:

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 5:46 pm

We downsized until things pick back up. I was the keeper.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 5:58 pm

Lots of job cuts and reduced hours. I don't mind too much because the last two weeks were the first two weeks in three years that I worked 40 hours a week. I used to work 60 to 80 hours a week and that was okay because I got paid overtime for it and saved my money. I was getting really burnt out and I've got three weeks of vacation to burn up by the end of the year which I am enjoying. The cool thing is I'm on a four ten hour day schedule which is awesome. My idiot boss was let go which is a good thing also. The downsizing makes me uneasy but there aren't very many companies in the world that do what my employer does. There is huge potential for the product so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Topaz
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2008, 7:15 pm

I'm not hiring any new university graduates for my department next year. But at the moment it looks as if I'm not going to have to fire anyone, as we were already 4 staff members lower than usual due to maternity leave etc.

The economists tell us the Australia may be one of the few countries that avoids going into recession next year. Instead our economy is forecast to grow a little. Apparently we have a far more regulated financial sector than America, so our lending institutions were not as badly affected by the sub-prime lending fiasco.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 7:24 pm

About a half a year ago all of us had to take 4.5 day work weeks on and off. Owner really tries to keep all of us on, though we're a small company it's heartening. Economy is falling apart, but at times you wouldn't know it. People still spend money on the most trivial things...

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 8:00 pm

I'm lucky.

First, I work at an online high school and there will always be kids who need an education.

Second, my boss just gave me a really good review and recommended me for a raise (that's up to the owners, who are notoriously cheap :roll: ).

Third, the only two people who seem to be able to do my job are myself and another Aspie (I suspect he is, anyway), and he's usually needed on other projects. They've tried to get me some help (which I need), but each time it's been a disaster.

So, I'm feeling pretty secure in my job for the first time in my life.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.