Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 11:12 pm

Is Sickle-Cell Anaemia Un-PC?

I want to know because I heard only black people can get sickle-cell and I am white

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2008, 12:49 am

Dokken wrote:

I want to know because I heard only black people can get sickle-cell and I am white

Whites can, its just that African-descended people typically have a much higher chance of it.

The cool thing is that this very 'deficiency' protects them from some other disease (Im in a fog and cant recall which)

Just another example of biodiversity actually being quite a good thing, and why the concept of a 'master race' is laughable, as homogeneous populations are more likely to perish.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 1:01 am

I said it before, and I'll say it again:

Its my understand that prenatal testing(and selective abortion) is decimating the incidence of diseases like Cystic Fibrosis, Tay Sachs, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, and other fatal genetic diseases. But yes, thats ridiculous and stupid. Do you have a link?

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 1:45 am

Death_of_Pathos wrote:
Dokken wrote:

Whites can, its just that African-descended people typically have a much higher chance of it.

The cool thing is that this very 'deficiency' protects them from some other disease (Im in a fog and cant recall which)

Just another example of biodiversity actually being quite a good thing, and why the concept of a 'master race' is laughable, as homogeneous populations are more likely to perish.

I did not know that. One of my teachers told the class only black folk could get sickle-cell

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 12:10 pm

if this institution or whatever was sponsoring a disease that only affects, say, black people, the irony is that codarac would probably moan about that as well.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2008, 12:34 pm

Dokken wrote:
Death_of_Pathos wrote:
Dokken wrote:

I did not know that. One of my teachers told the class only black folk could get sickle-cell

Might be wrong, but I think it is Malaria.

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 6:04 pm

That is correct.