Is IQ testing flawed in the Austistic spectrum?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 7:56 pm

I once read a blog of an autistic woman who claims to have an IQ of 64. Her fairly sophisticated writing style, however, would never indicate it. She didn't seem to be mentally deficient and was quite creative. What would you suppose is the explanation?

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 7:57 pm

I'd say the performance IQ drags it way down.

At least it does for me.

IQ tests are pretty much garbage anyway, but that's just my opinion. I have no authority to say that.

But then again...

Who does? :wink:

ForsakenEagle
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2008, 8:02 pm

Intelligence is very broad. A single number could NEVER tell you your true intelligence.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 8:06 pm

One major flaw in IQ testing is that the ability to learn and solve problems is ignored. The fact is that environmental factors DO make an impact. A child can be extremely creative and bright, but if he is trapped in a subpar school district and not allowed to go at his own pace, his IQ will be significantly lower than if he was allowed to flourish.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 8:08 pm

ForsakenEagle wrote:
Intelligence is very broad. A single number could NEVER tell you your true intelligence.

Exactly. It can certainly never measure your creativity either.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 8:11 pm

I think IQ testing is flawed, period. I don't think there is a true way to measure intelligence.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 8:11 pm

IQ is meaningless when it comes to autistics. A lot of NTs are able to be fast and effective in the kind of testing and teaching that male NTs use for Math & Science & other subjects. But most of these same NTs have no ability to see things that lay outside what is spoon fed them or what sounds good to others. Many NT academics can't tell a real idea from a trendy one or extract meaning from their own experience. Their intellects are agile but shallow and certainly geared toward what everyone else in their peer group is thinking, more than a focus on what is really happening.

ForsakenEagle
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2008, 8:15 pm

timeisdead wrote:
ForsakenEagle wrote:

Exactly. It can certainly never measure your creativity either.

One major flaw in schools is that they try to kill your creativity. You must do everything a certain way. I found ways to do the exact same things differently. I was criticized and commended for some of these things. I love the scientific method. You establish a hypothesis, test it, see the results, and draw a conclusion from it. More teachers throughout my life should have encouraged problem solving methods to their students. Math is so easy for me because I can take what I know and figure out the area of a pentagon, for example.