Good fine motor skills - Good gross motor skills. 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
Poor fine motor skills - Good gross motor skills. 21%  21%  [ 9 ]
Good fine motor skills - Poor gross motor skills. 40%  40%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 43

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 8:31 pm

Is it unusual for someone with AS to have good or excellent fine motor skills, but poor gross motor skills?

I'm sure I never had problems with small muscle movements. My writing is alright, I played piano, paint in small detail and am pretty good at threading a needle. I am however generally awkward - Started walking later than average, had a strange gait, terrible coordination (especially in sports) and have a bump on my head from falling into a wall today. Yes, it did hurt. :? :lol:

Is this sort of motor skill duality common?

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 8:36 pm

My handwriting is atrocious and I have an unusual way of holding a pen. Whenever I took an "art" class at school I fell behind really quickly, usually being much slower than the other students and still sloppy despite my trying to be so careful. I never did well in technical drawing or construction either. I haven't ever managed to "properly" tie a tie to date, and couldn't tie my shoes until I was thirteen. I was never very good at sports or swimming because my movements were awkward and inefficient. I apparently have a unique "walk" and my manner of running is very humourous.

I'd say I'm poor, even quite deficient, in both fine and gross motor skills.

Alerion42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2008, 9:54 pm

Like you I typicaly have good fine motor skills, but my gross motor skills aren't that good. I'm not that bad, I loose my ballance often, but I'm almost always able to catch myself, not always in the most non-chalant manner. I've also been told that I have a strange walk, although I had no idea, until one of my co-workers said that she could tell I was comming by the sound of my walk, that it was "unique" as she put it.

As far as the fine motor skills go, like I said they're typicaly good, but I'd still say they're nothing to be proud of. My handwriting is a little messy, but I've seen NTs with worse handwriting.

michillimackinac
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Nov 2008, 10:24 pm

My fine motor skills are far from fine, and my gross motor skills are, well, gross. :(

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 10:54 pm

I work with my hands at work a lot, typing, fixing printers, and stuff, but try getting a hand truck through a self-closing door...grrr...;)

PowerGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2008, 11:38 pm

What's the difference between them again and what do they consist of? I forgot. -Power Girl

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2008, 11:44 pm

Naturally I am lacking in both. Through training, I have overcome the limitations in my gross motor functions. I still have significant failings in my fine motor skills, but I have not made as large of an effort to improve them.

Did not vote.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 4:03 am

michillimackinac wrote:
My fine motor skills are far from fine, and my gross motor skills are, well, gross. :(
I chuckled at that. :)

I've got the same oddity as the OP--good fine-motor, bad gross-motor. I've learned to type 90wpm and still can't catch a baseball.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2008, 4:12 am

nothingunusual wrote:
.and have a bump on my head from falling into a wall today. Yes, it did hurt. :? :lol:

I jumped into a post today, hit my shoulder pretty bad and almost fell on my ass. Luckily im good at not falling, i tend to wrestle myself back just enough to not fall :).

Other then that i tend to jump and climb around very well, but sometimes have trouble reading my own writing

lexis
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2008, 4:25 am

Poor fine and gross, to the point where I could get dyspraxia as a diagnosis too if need be- but I'm relying that people will understand that ASDs can come with poor motorskills, and if they don't, I can explain why quite logically. I'd need to pay for a dyspraxia assessment. xD

Be better off spending my money elsewhere.

Funnily enough I first heard of 'motor skills' in my cousin's book on dyspraxia, and as a kid decided that I most likely had semantic pragmatic disorder... very interesting considering where I am now. It's amazing how I remember hearing a lot of these terms first and somehow they all seemed to slowly fit together. 0_0

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 4:37 am

I am poor with both fine and gross.

Taking a break.

DarthMaxeuis
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2008, 5:48 am

Hector wrote:
My handwriting is atrocious and I have an unusual way of holding a pen. Whenever I took an "art" class at school I fell behind really quickly, usually being much slower than the other students and still sloppy despite my trying to be so careful. I never did well in technical drawing or construction either. I haven't ever managed to "properly" tie a tie to date, and couldn't tie my shoes until I was thirteen. I was never very good at sports or swimming because my movements were awkward and inefficient.

Same for me, my handwriting is disastrous and my way of holding the pen strange.
Art class are hard, but not too much.
And I can't still tie my shoes correctly at each time (I'm fifteen years old), and couldn't until I was fourteen.
It's really an handicap, and the only thing I can do precisely and quick is typing on a keyboard ^_^. :wink:

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 5:52 am

My writing is so bad a use a laptop in classes and my sport skills are so bad that I can't even throw a ball in the right direction... Hell, I can't even walk properly!

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 6:41 am

Fine motor: wildly unreliable, unless I have a musical instrument in my hands, in which case they're brilliant.

Gross motor: sucks.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Barce
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Nov 2008, 8:27 am

Fine motor skills: Absaloutly s**t. Cant hold a pen right, slip on shoes, do shoe laces properly, do a bed properly, hold a knife and fork properly, or even repair my bike (its lame because it is my core interest so thats why i should be able to).

Gross motor skills: Unpredictable. I think with age i got better at sports requiring whole body movements and so forth, BUT i've always played better in non-team sports.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 9:29 am

I'm exceptionally good with both fine and gross motor skills. When there is a set of neuromuscular behaviors I never use though, I am poor.

I'm good because I've always had an athletic life. Like many Asperger females, I was a tomboy. My father was an athlete in college so I got taught how to play basketball, do outdoors things, etc. In my late teens I somehow picked up doing yoga and other mind-body training. I didn't have a real objective, just found that I could get some peace and centering in an often disoriented body. Then, I joined the military where the structure, rules and physically-oriented work was manageable for me. Being in the military meant I got even more physical training. In my adult life, I've simply kept up running, doing art (requires fine motor skills), and I'm a physical adept. My husband taught me how to be a decent fly fisherman in just a few years of weekends, which is almost unheard-of. Since many NTs never do any physical training and sports, I'm way above average in the motor skills department. I have the opinion that any Asperger can train their sensorimotor system, just like anyone who goes into team sports or other physical training during their life, can develop better "reflexes" than someone who does not.

One interesting thing tho: when I went back to school recently, I was unable to write. With computers and printers at home, work and anywhere else, it had been decades since I had done much writing, and that had become "deprogrammed" from my sensorimotor system. I still knew how to write, in my procedural memory, but I couldn't get my handwriting fast enough or coherent enough to even turn in homework on time. It was a big surprise to have this handicap. It was a big problem for me. So I think that the handwriting involved specialized fine motor skills that my sports, computer, cooking and other activities couldn't keep me "trained" in.

I still have trouble writing as a physical matter and get lost on the page.